AEV 4” Dual Sport Suspension installed.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Does anyone in this thread have pictures of the trimming required? I have the first two cuts done, but was a little unsure about the next two steps for cutting. I'll call Paul at AEV also, but figured pictures might be nice as well.

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Ram 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Does anyone in this thread have pictures of the trimming required? I have the first two cuts done, but was a little unsure about the next two steps for cutting. I'll call Paul at AEV also, but figured pictures might be nice as well.

I might have some pictures, if not I can take some when I get out of work.

basically try and fit the brackets in place and cut the curl off the oem bracket so the cam bolts will fit in the new bracket once installed in to the oem brackets.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
I've got the big cut done:
20201201_154003.jpg

And the cuts for the cam bolts on the rear of the rear cross member tabs:
20201201_153944.jpg 20201201_155235.jpg

I have the next cuts figured out, I think:
20201201_152758.jpg

The final cut eludes me:
Screenshot_20201201-153023_Samsung Notes.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Looking good.

I didn’t get out of work until after dark. I’ll try and get you pics tomorrow if you’re not already done.

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Looking good.

I didn’t get out of work until after dark. I’ll try and get you pics tomorrow if you’re not already done.

I appreciate it. Thanks for letting me turn your thread into a support thread. :) lol

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Just to clarify, the cut that I have marked in yellow - this is only done on the backside of the front LCA mount?

And the last cut, the one that I have circled in red from the instructions, is the one that I would most benefit from a photo...although maybe the toughest to get if your truck is already done.

OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Sorry for the awful pictures. I’ve been working late all week. This is the best I could get in the dark. Pardon my awful cuts. All I had was a 4.5” cut off wheel/angle grinder and I took a little too much off on the rear mounts.

The back side cuts on the front mounts require you to test fit the bracket as you cut. You will have to remove some of the flare not only where the cam bolt is but where the triangle shaped bracket slides up and in to the front LCA mounts.

The rear LCA mounts should only need to have the flare trimmed (where I botched them) on the rear side of the rear mount.

I hope this helps.

drivers side rear mount rear of mount.
3C101F03-AFD8-4D2C-A903-0108CF448AAD.jpeg
Drivers side front mount rear of mount
3605FA2B-7066-4A82-BBE0-12D7D44B8D45.jpeg
Pass side rear mount rear of mount
879D39CF-0E3B-4EE5-AE29-059DDF8B3C9A.jpeg
Pass side front mount rear of mount
16CBEF95-5EC0-483A-B081-04A27B7EAC8D.jpeg

Last edited:

0o0o0o0o0o0o0o0o

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0L Ecodiesel
Fantastic, those are very helpful. Thank you! The instructions leave a little to be desired, you'd think they could include photos instead of those ****** little diagrams. The diagrams fail to show enough context in some cases or ,in the case of the last cut, the drawing is just bad.

Luckily, I am working from home right now, so I can afford to leave my truck in the garage for a bit. I am in no hurry. Hopefully, I'll get out there this weekend and wrap it up.

One last thing, this is my first time doing this to a full size. I am used to smaller Toyotas. For supports I have been using jack stands under the frame rails on each side, just forward of the rear most support for the transmission, (which seems to the most forward I can get them on frame rails, with still being on flat sections of frame) I combined this with jack stands on each side of the front crossmember. I might be overly paranoid, but I like living. :) Now to put the skid plate on I have to remove the front jack stands, it seems that the truck would be forward "tippy" with only jack stands that far back? I have a couple of really tall jack stands on their way, which should be here Friday or Saturday. I was thinking of just putting those on the frame rails in front of the front crossmember. Am I overthinking it?

Last edited:
OP
OP
DamnRam1500

DamnRam1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Fantastic, those are very helpful. Thank you! The instructions leave a little to be desired, you'd think they could include photos instead of those ****** little diagrams. The diagrams fail to show enough context in some cases or ,in the case of the last cut, the drawing is just bad.

Luckily, I am working from home right now, so I can afford to leave my truck in the garage for a bit. I am in no hurry. Hopefully, I'll get out there this weekend and wrap it up.

One last thing, this is my first time doing this to a full size. I am used to smaller Toyotas. For supports I have been using jack stands under the frame rails on each side, just forward of the rear most support for the transmission, (which seems to the most forward I can get them on frame rails, with still being on flat sections of frame) I combined this with jack stands on each side of the front crossmember. I might be overly paranoid, but I like living. :) Now to put the skid plate on I have to remove the front jack stands, it seems that the truck would be forward "tippy" with only jack stands that far back? I have a couple of really tall jack stands on their way, which should be here Friday or Saturday. I was thinking of just putting those on the frame rails in front of the front crossmember. Am I overthinking it?

I agree, the directions are terrible. I spent most of my time referring to the pictures that I found of the suspension from when it debut years ago. Unfortunately for us do it your selfers most people bought these trucks ready to drive.

Like you I am used to modifying Jeep Cherokees and not full-size trucks so I did the same thing are used jackstands near the transmission crossmember and

I also used some jack stands on the front crossmember. I used my 3 ton floor jack to support the differential while I worked on the front end. I also had to repair the output shaft on the passenger side of my differential.

I completely removed the entire differential to do those repairs. I ended up doing both output shafts (pass side only available from a shop in Canada) and both CV axles and both wheel bearings.