AF vs SilverBullet Showdown

AF or Silverbullet

• AF

Votes: 22 66.7%
  • Silverbullet

Votes: 11 33.3%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

truckin151

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 sport
Engine
Is there a cam position sensor on this motor?

YEs but if it is bad it throws a code.

Is it really a good idea to just start replacing parts, when we dont even know if it's the problem? In the Aircraft Maintenance world, we call that "Shotgun Maintenance", and it never works out lol. Maybe a shop, or some outside assistance would be warranted, before you start shelling out $$$ for possible good parts. Just my opinion.

I agree to a point, the PCM would be the last thing I replaced but since he has no idea what the hell happened between pulling the front of the engine apart and the miss-hap with the headers there are multiple the things that could potentially be the cause. So going through a list of potential culprit's and elimintaing them one by one yourself can save you an ass ****** by a mechanic/shop.

Bullet - When you get a chance, climbe under the truck with the wrench and take a picture as to where it was and what it was touching (just dont touch it again), so we can see whre exactly it was when this happened. I dont think it is the PCM, if it was a charge that went up the line back to the PCM I would think it would have blown the fuse before it had a chance to kill it.

Also is the new battery keeping a charge? If so is it fully charged or is it draining?

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
ok so the plan today is to get the alt. tested and check the fuses.

should i put the tune back to stock before i pull the pcm fuse?

Vendor
Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Laramie Sport Crew, 2019 1500 Big Horn Sport Crew & 2016 Charger SRT Hellcat
Engine
2x 5.7L & 6.2L
better safe than sorry....set it to stock.

sawcut64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
how do u remove the alt?

The very first thing is you disconnect the battery, then remove the belt, remove the 13MM nut holding the cable and remove the electrical plug, remove the AC/ALT bracket(13MM), then remove the two 15MM bolts and probably gently pry it off.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
thanks. the battery is disconnected. how do i get the belt off? is there a way to losen it up

sawcut64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
thanks. the battery is disconnected. how do i get the belt off? is there a way to losen it up

On the belt tensioner there is a square hole you install a 3/8" ratchet on and turn clock wise to relieve the tension on the belt. You might want to draw a diagram of the belt layout so you know how to reinstall it.

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
alright. is there a way i can test to make sure the alt is bad while its on the truck? i read on dt about starting the truck and removing the + wire on the battery...

OP
OP
S

Silverbullet08

Persona Non Grata
Reaction score
ok so i started the truck and while giving it gas removed the pos side of the battery. truck would still run... so i dont think its an alternator. just code a code though
p0174 saying fuel lean. is that bc of the exhaust?

sawcut64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
ok so i started the truck and while giving it gas removed the pos side of the battery. truck would still run... so i dont think its an alternator. just code a code though
p0174 saying fuel lean. is that bc of the exhaust?

Passenger front O2 code. Start it up and drive it down to the muffler shop as best as you can and get the exhaust finished.

sawcut64

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here's a list of possible causes.....

RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE
O2 SIGNAL CIRCUIT
O2 RETURN CIRCUIT
O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
O2 SENSOR
MAP SENSOR OPERATION
ECT SENSOR OPERATION
ENGINE MECHANICAL
FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR (HIGH)
PCM

But having an open exhaust will give false readings....get the exhaust fixed to rule it out.

Bigtman07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Nick Sounds like you are makin a trip to the Exhaust shop.