Air Condition Issue- Works Intermittently - 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Axcalibur

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
1500 SLT
Hi folks,

I'm the owner of a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and I'm having some issues with the air conditioning.
Specifically, the air conditioning does work while I'm driving, but when I'm idling, it doesn't blow cold air.
This issue started a few months ago, but now that it's summer time - it's time to get it fixed!

I had done some Googling before, and someone mentioned a similar problem here: https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3cgur-dodge-ram-air-conditioner-blows-warm-air-idle-cold.html
The solution sounds like I have to replace the compressor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Has anyone replaced a compressor before and have some step by step tips on how to do this?
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy the proper compressor?

I have minimal experience repairing vehicles, but I'm hoping this might be a project I can tackle.

Thanks in advance!

beng3303

Reaction score
Ram Year
2006 2500 HD
Engine
5.7- Non mds
You possibly do have a bad a/c compressor but you should check out the system before you just replace the compressor. If you are not super experienced with diagnosis, I would recommend taking your truck to a shop to have them diagnose the problem. They can check the a/c system charge, power to compressor and a few other things to make sure you don't have a problems elsewhere or perhaps are just low on refrigerant. If they tell you to replace the compressor, you can possibly replace it yourself , even with low skill if you research how to do it on youtube. I do not trust everything on there so I would watch 2 or 3 videos just to make sure all the videos are telling you to do the same thing. The compressor is fairly accessable so it's not to hard to get to.

Connie Mack

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9 Diesel
OK, my 03 2500 diesel has the same problem,, many, many you tube videos has convinced me its the "FAN CLUTCH". but before i buy the part, im going to get them to check it all out.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
If there is an aux electric cooling fan, that should run any time the AC is enabled. The fan clutch not fully engaging can also cause a similar problem

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Just out of curiosity what temp is it outside when it does this and what is your gauge reading? My 02 Silverado work truck just started doing it this year. I believe its because it has some sort of safety switch on it. Not positive, but when it gets to 210 it cuts off in traffic. When you get moving for a few minutes it goes back to blowing ice cold. I know two totally different trucks, but you might want to look at that first vs throwing a compressor at it.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Works while moving, doesn't at stop or idle.......did you even check the condenser fan to see if it was running first lol?

Wallyb4

Retired EWC(SW/AW) 1983-2003
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Also make sure the condenser is not clogged up. Try spraying it with a garden hose to clean it out.

kevkev

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My fan went out on my ac condenser. The lines going to it would get very hot. AC wouldn't work when idling, only when driving. I replaced the motor on the fan. Problem solved.Motor was $25 at autozone.

younggun504

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi folks,

I'm the owner of a 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT and I'm having some issues with the air conditioning.
Specifically, the air conditioning does work while I'm driving, but when I'm idling, it doesn't blow cold air.
This issue started a few months ago, but now that it's summer time - it's time to get it fixed!

I had done some Googling before, and someone mentioned a similar problem here: https://www.justanswer.com/dodge/3cgur-dodge-ram-air-conditioner-blows-warm-air-idle-cold.html
The solution sounds like I have to replace the compressor.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?
Has anyone replaced a compressor before and have some step by step tips on how to do this?
Can anyone point me in the direction of where to buy the proper compressor?

I have minimal experience repairing vehicles, but I'm hoping this might be a project I can tackle.

Thanks in advance!

younggun504

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi! I’ve had that problem before and found my condenser fan wasn’t working. When you replace the condenser fan you have to buy an adapter because the plug on the fan was recalled due to issues and was changed.