Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey Everyone!

Are you aware that your factory ram alarm will only sound when the door is opened after it's been appropriately locked? You can literally smash out every window in it and the alarm will never sound unless the door is opened!

The factory alarm on my 2018 is integrated with SiriusXM Guardian so I get a notification on my phone if the alarm is triggered plus I really didn't want to go the full aftermarket route!

SOLUTION:

I purchased this little shock sensor add on from amazon (below), it comes with pretty easy instructions and essentially you wire it to 12v power, ground, a circuit that goes on/off with the key and then the door light activator circuit.

I strapped it onto the steering column under the dash and adjusted it so that I wouldn't get false alarms but if the truck took a decent hit it would trigger. Essentially the way it works is that when it's triggered it opens the interior light circuit making the factory alarm think the door has been opened- which triggers the horn & SiriusXM Guardian notification!

Super easy & CHEAP mod that works well!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007VHG3BA/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Let me know if you have questions- happy to help!

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
PS: I tried to use the hood pin wire first and it failed so I went with the driver's door light wire, worked perfect!

Matts175

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
PS: I tried to use the hood pin wire first and it failed so I went with the driver's door light wire, worked perfect!

Interested in this. What was the color of the wire for the driver's door light that you spliced into?

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I'll double check it in the next few days but based on a quick search (and memory) I believe it was the VT (Violet) wire in the drivers side panel next to your left foot.. I found a post that said:

VT - Driver Front, VT/GY - Driver Rear
VT/WT - Pass Front, VT/YL - Pass Rear

cuda81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello trying to add this since i got my window bashed in for my radar detector,,alrm never went off ,,guy reached in and took it..must of known alarm wouldnt sound,,,i hooked it up to the footwell postive signal yellow wire,,so when i hit the window the inside lights turn on but doesnt trip alarm...mines a 2013...im guessing i have to to go to the bcm for for signal sense wire,,any input would be appreciated,,thanks in advance

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hello trying to add this since i got my window bashed in for my radar detector,,alrm never went off ,,guy reached in and took it..must of known alarm wouldnt sound,,,i hooked it up to the footwell postive signal yellow wire,,so when i hit the window the inside lights turn on but doesnt trip alarm...mines a 2013...im guessing i have to to go to the bcm for for signal sense wire,,any input would be appreciated,,thanks in advance

If you arm your "alarm" and leave your window open then reach in and open the door with the handle... Does the alarm go off?

cuda81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hello...thanks for input ...yes it does...was gonna try pin 11 v/blue wire on c1 which is for the hood signal switch on bcm module,,but op said he tried it first and it didnt work...

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
hello...thanks for input ...yes it does...was gonna try pin 11 v/blue wire on c1 which is for the hood signal switch on bcm module,,but op said he tried it first and it didnt work...

I used the violet wire in the front driver side kick panel under the dash.. I wonder if it might be different for your year model.. Let me find the links I have to the schematics and I’ll post it here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuda81

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
thanks for your help...im gonna try and find the sensing wire the puddle lamps ,one on outside mirror and see if that does it.....i dont get it why it doesnt come with this already,,you could beat the truck with a baseball bat break all the windows ,steal the wheels and alarm would never sound

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Totally agree! It’s useless in its factory condition!

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did anyone find the correct color wire for the driver door light on when opened?

Im also interested in this as I have a 2013 and yesterday activated my alarm as it was not.
So i was looking for a way to add a motion sensor.

So DJ Mark

what happens when you ride around with the truck does the lights come on from bouncing around. it has to be wired so its not active when truck is started am I correct?

thanks

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Did anyone find the correct color wire for the driver door light on when opened?

Im also interested in this as I have a 2013 and yesterday activated my alarm as it was not.
So i was looking for a way to add a motion sensor.

So DJ Mark

what happens when you ride around with the truck does the lights come on from bouncing around. it has to be wired so its not active when truck is started am I correct?

thanks

Hey there!

There’s a link in this thread to the wiring diagrams for the various different years, this particular shock sensor is designed to be hooked into a 12 volt always on power source and a wire that’s only energized when the key is on. This allows the sensor to sleep when the vehicle is running or the key is on (prevents the lights from coming on when driving).

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Hey there!

There’s a link in this thread to the wiring diagrams for the various different years, this particular shock sensor is designed to be hooked into a 12 volt always on power source and a wire that’s only energized when the key is on. This allows the sensor to sleep when the vehicle is running or the key is on (prevents the lights from coming on when driving).

Hope this helps!

Also note: it has a “valet” feature that lets you turn off the shock sensor completely if you wish.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sounds like just what I want to install then if its wired like that.

So if it goes off how do you rest it????????????

Is it real sensitive as my 2004 I sold the other day if a car came down the street fast it would rock the truck and alarm would go off

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sounds like just what I want to install then if its wired like that.

So if it goes off how do you rest it????????????

Is it real sensitive as my 2004 I sold the other day if a car came down the street fast it would rock the truck and alarm would go off

Press the unlock button on your factory remote to disarm/ silence. The sensor itself is completely adjustable sensitivity wise.. I can’t stand false alarms either!

I recommend fastening it to the steering column under the dash.

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well thanks for all the info I see 1 on ebay for $3 more I hate paying Amazon with charge card
so $29 free shipping.

Next need to find the wire color for the door light switch.

the one you posted wiring what year truck is that for??

OP
OP
D

DJ Mark

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Well thanks for all the info I see 1 on ebay for $3 more I hate paying Amazon with charge card
so $29 free shipping.

Next need to find the wire color for the door light switch.

the one you posted wiring what year truck is that for??

That was a 2013 but you can click the link and put in your truck’s details to get the schematics.. its an awesome site!

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So it looks like the schematic posted all the doors are bused together for the courtesy lights and tap into the one on driver side kick panel.

*Where did you get the constant 12v from inside or outside the firewall and
*also the switched 12v with key. Did you go to the fuse box under the hood.

thanks

dss56

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use positive or negative trigger to the shock sensor