AlfaOBD programmed a replacement Key fob ok but it stopped working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Yeah but experience don't mean nothing if you're not familiar with the problem and this one definitely has me stumped... I'm trying to get all the information I can get on it since I know I can't be alone, I appreciate you chiming in trying to help......

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yeah but experience don't mean nothing if you're not familiar with the problem and this one definitely has me stumped... I'm trying to get all the information I can get on it since I know I can't be alone, I appreciate you chiming in trying to help......
I got something puzzling for you. I’ve reset my RF Hub without losing anything that’s already programmed in. As in all fobs, push to start, remote start, enable LED lighting and global window down. My BigHorn did not come factory with the above upgrades. I slowly added them over the course of a year following directions over in the AlfaOBD section. All the above was installed, programmed and working when I bought new tires and gained an inch. Went from 275/60R20 to 275/65R20 and I reprogrammed the BCM for the slightly larger tires so the speedo would be accurate. I distinctly remember having to reset the RFHub after programming and I didn’t lose any previous functions. Are you 100 percent positive that the RFHub reset process wipes out the existing fobs? For me it did not. Reading through the AlfaOBD section there is a lot of RF Hub resetting going on.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
I've never done it so I'm not going to bet my life on it but I'm on the Facebook site "Ram AlfaOBD User’s" and everyone says a reset of the RFhub will clear the current programing of the current fobs and you would need new keys.I think it is bases on the fact that in alphaOBD the only selection is "RF-HUB Reset/Replace" and for sure if you replace it the fobs no longer work and if AlphaOBD has them listed as the same function its assume the fobs wouldn't work for either function..But if you actually did a reset with the AlphaOBD and your old fobs work then we gotta talk because i'd like to try it. Guess my question from reading your post is why you had to go into the RF Hub just because you changed tire size in the BCM ?

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Guess my question from reading your post is why you had to go into the RF Hub just because you changed tire size in the BCM ?
For the TPMS thresholds. Different tire sizes and/or weight ratings dictate different tire pressures. If you don’t update the pressure thresholds to match the new tires in the RF Hub you get the idiot light on the dash.

I’m not an expert on programming and pretty much follow others directions when making modifications to my truck. My understanding of the RF Hub is it communicates with the peripherals via radio frequencies. Until the hub is flashed or reset it doesn’t write the new info back to the BCM.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So I need 1 new Fob for my 2015.

I think I found a good one from North Coast.

Read all the posts and am confused.
Reprogramming.I want to try DI myself. Apple phone, so which obd reader?
Any good to know info for the fix process?

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Answering my own post. Reprogramming. I will try taking the guts out and putting in the replacement.

North Coast end a-rounded by saying instructions on reprogramming were available. Yes, but all the instructions turned out to be was- use a locksmith.

I anticipate a locksmith will turn their nose up at a product they did not provide.

shrubs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
So my "final answer" as they used to say on the game show. I had an existing FOB that was wonky from wear.Amazing what complexity such an innocuous item is.

Choices I am aware of:

1. Do the dealer thing and pay dearly for one.
2. Buy a cheapie on the net. Get what you pay for prevails or go to a retail store for vehicle parts. They may reprogram too.
3. DIY a self repair to the bad parts.
4. Search out a locksmith who will handle reprogramming and more if needed.

IDK about lost, drowned, or extra FOBs.

Programming may or may not have to be done by an outside source depending on your year and model. One video suggests reusing the "guts" with replacement FOB parts to avoid reprogramming issues.
DIY programming with an OBD. Not sure on equipment or results.

Hope this helps overcome all the vague info I sifted through.

posttal

Reaction score
Ram Year
2011 and 2013 Laramie
Engine
hemi 5.7
Well after putting it off and fooling with on line keys i finally called the dealer.... 2013..and ONLY 2013 with the push button start proximity keyfob take a special fob..that are not the same as the 2014 and up 4th gen trucks..or so they say. I have one on order since the dealer doesnt even stock it anymore and when it comes in we'll see if it does the job.