AlfaOBD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
So what Model, function, and Control unit (the first three drop downs in Alpha) are you finding the "Police Lights" setting? I'm asking because I can't find it. I went through the restraint system wiring diagrams (see attached - you'll need a .pdf reader) and there's no reason that that setting (assuming it's even related to the airbag - which it shouldn't be at all unless it disables the airbag when the setting is on assuming that the officer driving is in a chase with lights on - this would presume that he's going to do a PIT maneuver on another vehicle and you definitely don't want an airbag deployment in that case!)

Attachments

• RESTRAINT-SYSTEMS.pdf
    615.5 KB · Views: 4

PA Ram

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
You might actually have an airbag issue... IDK, but when it comes to Airbags, they are one of just two things I won't attempt to fix on my own (the other being mount/balance tires - more because I don't have the tools rather than not being able to). Since this was once a police vehicle, it is possible they disabled the airbags or that the airbags were deployed at some point - that makes everything suspect with regards to the airbag behavior. I'd take it to a good mechanic, or the dealer. Check on airbag recalls too - though I don't think dodge/ram was affected by the faulty airbag thing a few years ago, a lot of vehicles were!
This makes sense. Police cars I'm sure could disable airbags while performing pit maneuvers and other similar things. Maybe the airbag is disconnected. I had to pull mine to add steering wheel audio controls and there are plugs on the airbag module. Anything's possible. Like you said, best to get it to someone that knows more.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So what Model, function, and Control unit (the first three drop downs in Alpha) are you finding the "Police Lights" setting? I'm asking because I can't find it. I went through the restraint system wiring diagrams (see attached - you'll need a .pdf reader) and there's no reason that that setting (assuming it's even related to the airbag - which it shouldn't be at all unless it disables the airbag when the setting is on assuming that the officer driving is in a chase with lights on - this would presume that he's going to do a PIT maneuver on another vehicle and you definitely don't want an airbag deployment in that case!)
I will try to read that on the computer tomorrow

This is how I found the "police lights' setting

BCM

2015 charger

Car configuration change

Vehconfig 3: police lighting feature

(The reason I want it off, is because part of that setting disables the auto unlock on the rear doors)

I checked the codes in the BCM and found nothing, I had to go into the airbag module to find it, and I included the screenshots of it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240222-224351_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240222-224351_AlfaOBD.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240223-204042_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-204042_AlfaOBD.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20240223-204112_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-204112_AlfaOBD.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240223-204228_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-204228_AlfaOBD.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240223-204356_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-204356_AlfaOBD.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20240223-204405_AlfaOBD.jpg
    Screenshot_20240223-204405_AlfaOBD.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 7

Black-Wolf

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something else occurs to me: A bit of a long shot, but did you verify that the child safety locks are manually set to not be engaged. There's a small electro/mechanical switch, usually in the front of each passenger door - you may have to look to find it. If it's in the wrong position, the doors typically won't unlock at all...

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Something else occurs to me: A bit of a long shot, but did you verify that the child safety locks are manually set to not be engaged. There's a small electro/mechanical switch, usually in the front of each passenger door - you may have to look to find it. If it's in the wrong position, the doors typically won't unlock at all...
One of the first things I checked

With the police mode on, I could unlock the rear doors with the switch on both front doors, as well as with the keyfob

What I could NOT do, is drive the car, put it in park, open the driver's side door and have all the rear doors unlock at the same time

That is part of the "police lights" line
(Dont ask why)

The other thing is does is allow me to run total black out mode
No lights, anywhere

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
And...my airbag light is back on

This is what I'm trying to accomplish l, my wife's winter beater is a 2015 pursuit charger

As such, the rear door do not unlock when you open the front door because of a line "police lights" (YES/no)

The only change I made was switch over to "police lights" (yes/NO)

Now I get this code

I guess that means I need to change a line somewhere...but where ?
You need to swap out the ORC module for the non-police group module part number.

diymirage

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You need to swap out the ORC module for the non-police group module part number.
Would I be able to just reset the ORC?

There is a line for that in alfaOBD but it says you should only do it when replacing it...kinda like the warning you get when you refresh the RF hub for new keys

BrewskyAZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone purchased an Amazon fob, used AlfaOBD to add that new fob and have the proximity work? If so, which fob did you purchase?

Thanks in advance!

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone purchased an Amazon fob, used AlfaOBD to add that new fob and have the proximity work? If so, which fob did you purchase?

Thanks in advance!
Yes, from a company, KeylessOption on Amazon. They have an Amazon store if you search for them. I purchased a two pack for my 2018 and they both programmed perfectly with AlfaOBD. All functions work including remote start and proximity handles.

BrewskyAZ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Yes, from a company, KeylessOption on Amazon. They have an Amazon store if you search for them. I purchased a two pack for my 2018 and they both programmed perfectly with AlfaOBD. All functions work including remote start and proximity handles.

That was the first I tried and the proximity didn’t work. To make sure it was the one I bought, would you, by chance, have a link?

Jimmy07

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Other than just adding them in AlfaOBD, did you have to do anything else? Did you remove the old fobs from the hub? I am wondering if proximity will only work on the first two fobs registered.. just a thought.
*Edit: Never mind- misread what you’re asking

Mpgrimm2

Preferred Vendor
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 (5th Gen)
Engine
5.7L
That was the first I tried and the proximity didn’t work. To make sure it was the one I bought, would you, by chance, have a link?

No personal experience to verify it, but there was a post or two from someone in the remote start thread (can't recall who/which thread) that these ...

Key Fobs from Amazon reported to work/program with AlfaOBD.

Aupoko GQ4-53T 4 Buttons Keyless Entry Fob

References/info that may help (Not Guaranteed)

RamForum - Alphaobd remote start thread

Ramforum - How to add remote start to 2017 Ram

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Other than just adding them in AlfaOBD, did you have to do anything else? Did you remove the old fobs from the hub? I am wondering if proximity will only work on the first two fobs registered.. just a thought.
After market FOBS are REALLY hit or miss, even from the same supplier. I got tired of wasting my time with them and went to buying only OEM FOBs. If you do a bit of research you find the aftermarket FOBs have a 70% initial failure to connect or work, and of the ones that actually connect, most kack after 2 or 3 years.

To me, the time I was wasting was way more valuable than the little I saved on the FOBs. If you are having them setup by the dealer or a locksmith, for sure they are a bad idea because you pay for their setup time whether it works or not.

Atcer2018

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I’m not a good source to answer your question. In my case I purchased a BigHorn model which does not come with proximity handles or keyless and go. I added the keyless and go feature with push button start myself using the directions on this forum. I replaced my RF Hub and programmed everything from scratch. I will say that I have four fobs programmed to the truck, two Ram branded and two aftermarket. They all work so more than two fobs can be programmed.

RebelRancor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Does anyone know what vehicle package in the my 2020 bcm does? Its 1-7 1 is "essence/base" 2 is "sport" and 3 is "luxury" wondering if these may be the key to unlocking additional evic load screens?

tbowers391

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Man, there is SO MUCH information in this Alfa OBD on here and on the web in general. Which is awesome thank you all.

But I’m having trouble sifting through all the noise to find out just what would be the minimum age of the android tablet I need for this to work? Like 2011 and newer or what?

Trying to find a cheapy on marketplace or online.

Thanks!

Dean2

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500
Engine
Man, there is SO MUCH information in this Alfa OBD on here and on the web in general. Which is awesome thank you all.

But I’m having trouble sifting through all the noise to find out just what would be the minimum age of the android tablet I need for this to work? Like 2011 and newer or what?

Trying to find a cheapy on marketplace or online.

Thanks!
Go to the Alpha website. If has the most recent Andrroid versions it will work with. They change at some upgrades. They also have alink to the help doc that has more detail yet.