Alpharex Parking light messages and Non customer service.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Looking for anyone else who has the "PARKING LIGHT OUT" message with their Alpharex headlights. I installed my NOVA's earlier this year and while i'm impressed with the build quality and light output, the parking light error message is a nightmare now that cold weather has set in.

I set them to "LED YES" multiple times on AlfaOBD. The message would come on at startup for a second then disappear. Never came on while driving until the temp here got down to below freezing. When that happens i get the message every 10-20 seconds when i have the headlights on. Sometimes it will stop for a minute but then starts again. The colder it gets the worse it gets.

I contacted Apharex via phone, emails and text. They apparently have one person who handles tech support so getting help is slow at best. The last conversation i had with him regarding this issue as to the explanation of the problem was "Because it's a Dodge". All that tells me is that Alpharex screwed up this design and doesn't know what to do. He claimed he would send me out a set of resistors but that was over a week ago and i haven't heard any word. And i don't see why i should have to buy them myself when it's bad enough that i have to go through the hassle of taking the headlights off to install them because their engineers screwed up the design of these.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
@AE5548 Question (as I await my projector Novas). Were your original factory parking lights/signals incandescent or LED?

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
It is kinda a dodge thing. But is very hit or miss. There is 1 other setting under doors that may work for you. I don't recall off hand what it is. I think it's fairly obvious when you see it. There are other settings towards the bottom in the body Computer that have diagnostics at the end of the description. You can try those also

2018 2500 6.4L Hemi Tradesman
1990 5.9L 12v Cummins W250

Snowblind

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Here is the door one if you want to try it.

Try setting this:
CBC I/O Usage- driver door ajar switch usage > not set, none
CBC I/O Usage- front passenger door ajar switch usage > not set, none
CBC I/O Usage- left rear door ajar switch usage > left rear lamp diagnostics
CBC I/O Usage- right rear door ajar switch usage > right rear lamp diagnostics

Alpharex told me these settings are more for if you had projectors.

I had to add the resistors to finally get rid of my errors.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
This is why I haven't bought the NOVAs lol .... The resistors are supposed to fix the issue but someone on here don't remember who it was posted that he added the resistors but still had the parking light out error ... i think it was morales

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This is why I haven't bought the NOVAs lol .... The resistors are supposed to fix the issue but someone on here don't remember who it was posted that he added the resistors but still had the parking light out error ... i think it was morales
I read through that post and honestly, sounds like a bad set of headlights and he should push for a replacement set.

Last edited:

gixxer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7L
Looking for anyone else who has the "PARKING LIGHT OUT" message with their Alpharex headlights. I installed my NOVA's earlier this year and while i'm impressed with the build quality and light output, the parking light error message is a nightmare now that cold weather has set in.

I set them to "LED YES" multiple times on AlfaOBD. The message would come on at startup for a second then disappear. Never came on while driving until the temp here got down to below freezing. When that happens i get the message every 10-20 seconds when i have the headlights on. Sometimes it will stop for a minute but then starts again. The colder it gets the worse it gets.

I contacted Apharex via phone, emails and text. They apparently have one person who handles tech support so getting help is slow at best. The last conversation i had with him regarding this issue as to the explanation of the problem was "Because it's a Dodge". All that tells me is that Alpharex screwed up this design and doesn't know what to do. He claimed he would send me out a set of resistors but that was over a week ago and i haven't heard any word. And i don't see why i should have to buy them myself when it's bad enough that i have to go through the hassle of taking the headlights off to install them because their engineers screwed up the design of these.

I would argue that dodge screwed up the design and made lighting way more complicated then it needs to be. Who the h*ll needs to know when your bulb is out? Just check your vehicle from time to time.

Mbrigh3

IG: Stormtrooper_5.7
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This is why I bought the G1's with the single DRL light. I read a ton on these headlights and it appears all have the issue but LED on option in alpha fixes G1's. LOVE the lock of the G2's but that error would drive me nuts.

umbighouse

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi

Alpharex sent me the resistors for free. Took about a week to get them and send to have fixed the parking light out error.

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I would argue that dodge screwed up the design and made lighting way more complicated then it needs to be. Who the h*ll needs to know when your bulb is out? Just check your vehicle from time to time.

Oh i agree 110%. Absolutely no need for such a system. At most it should self check during startup. Not continuously while driving. And the sensitivity is ridiculous. My truck is set via AlfaOBD for LED markers. How is this computer system still finding fault with them? The parking lights are working fine. These trucks are terribly engineered from so many standpoints.

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Alpharex sent me the resistors for free. Took about a week to get them and send to have fixed the parking light out error.

As of now they claim to have the resistors on their way to me. We shall see. I'll be happy if the resistors solve the issue, but it should never have had to come to this.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2wd
Engine
HEMI 5.7 Revolution 4.88s
As of now they claim to have the resistors on their way to me. We shall see. I'll be happy if the resistors solve the issue, but it should never have had to come to this.

This is why I have been holding off on buying the NOVAs which by the way are bad ass lol ....

hunterdan

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
The problem I believe is with the power drop when using the turn signals. It's got more to do with the design on their end. When the headlights are on, the oem setup turns on the low beam portion of the turns as marker lamps. When you activate the turn signals with the lights on, the turn alternates between high and low beam. On the alpharex lights, the marker lamp completely goes off to make the turn signal brighter. When the marker lamp goes off, this triggers the marker lamp out error. This is why only resistors work. Because even if you set marker lamps to led, it's still looking for some resistance in that circuit since it's still expecting it to be on. I lay the blame on alpharex for not fully doing their homework. They managed to trigger the turn signal dropout for the drl/marker lamp, but they could have routed that signal so that it runs through some kind of resistor internally with a good heating and prevented all this.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The problem I believe is with the power drop when using the turn signals. It's got more to do with the design on their end. When the headlights are on, the oem setup turns on the low beam portion of the turns as marker lamps. When you activate the turn signals with the lights on, the turn alternates between high and low beam. On the alpharex lights, the marker lamp completely goes off to make the turn signal brighter. When the marker lamp goes off, this triggers the marker lamp out error. This is why only resistors work. Because even if you set marker lamps to led, it's still looking for some resistance in that circuit since it's still expecting it to be on. I lay the blame on alpharex for not fully doing their homework. They managed to trigger the turn signal dropout for the drl/marker lamp, but they could have routed that signal so that it runs through some kind of resistor internally with a good heating and prevented all this.
Fwiw my custom g1 lights get an error if the signal is engaged and the auto headlights turn on at the same time. There are no stock alpharex electronics left in the lights but errors still happen.

I blame the bcm before I blame the lights. Just too sensitive and too closed of a system to really know wtf is going wrong. Resistors will probably work, but it would be nice to know what size are required instead of using a sledge hammer to drive a finish nail and buy the common ones in Amazon meant for much larger loads.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1500ram12

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L Cummins
Fwiw my custom g1 lights get an error if the signal is engaged and the auto headlights turn on at the same time. There are no stock alpharex electronics left in the lights but errors still happen.

I blame the bcm before I blame the lights. Just too sensitive and too closed of a system to really know wtf is going wrong. Resistors will probably work, but it would be nice to know what size are required instead of using a sledge hammer to drive a finish nail and buy the common ones in Amazon meant for much larger loads.

I agree that it's not 100 percent alpharex issue. Yes the switchbacks they use do drop out in between park and turn use. But most do. Even on my completey custom g1 alpharex lights every once in a while I'll get a turn signal out error, it'll hyper flash on the dash for 15 seconds or so then stop and won't happen again for a while. It's almost a 100 percent my left signal. I had errors immediately when I put switchbacks in my quads when the lights were on. Once changed with alfaobd everything was good. Our trucks respond better with canbus compatible led's and the appropriate settings changed with alfaobd

OP
OP
AE5548

AE5548

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

I don't think this is the issue. Because the error messages pop up every 15-25 seconds no matter what. I'll drive an hour on the highway and never touch the turn signals and it still happens. And the message has never popped up right after using my turn signals.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree that it's not 100 percent alpharex issue. Yes the switchbacks they use do drop out in between park and turn use. But most do. Even on my completey custom g1 alpharex lights every once in a while I'll get a turn signal out error, it'll hyper flash on the dash for 15 seconds or so then stop and won't happen again for a while. It's almost a 100 percent my left signal. I had errors immediately when I put switchbacks in my quads when the lights were on. Once changed with alfaobd everything was good. Our trucks respond better with canbus compatible led's and the appropriate settings changed with alfaobd

Yep it's something with that left signal for some reason. Never did figure it out but I can mostly prevent it from happening just timing when to use the signals. Maybe someday I'll add a resistor.

rule18

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Rebel
I just installed a set of Nova projectors on my '17 Rebel. Novas have integral LEDs, this is not the version that you install an aftermarket LED into. These were ordered just before Thanksgiving (clearly they walked here from China). This project took 20 minutes (I have removed my projectors before, so I already knew the gotchas). @CAG CheechDogg we were talking about this a while ago in another thread.

First impressions -
  • The build quality is good and they fit perfectly, no coercion involved.
  • The wiring adapter harness (you need to buy that if you have factory projectors) was well made and intuitive (there are no installation instructions, but plenty of good enough YouTube videos).
  • The output is pretty good when I was doing an initial adjustment in daylight, I'll know more after tomorrow night when the rain has stopped and I can play more.
  • I did not install the DRL harness, but there's instructions for that if I had wanted to.
  • Alpharex did something smart in that the vertical adjustment screw is a gear which you turn with a long #2 Philips, no need for an extra long T20 or 7mm socket. It is accessed through the same holes as the OEM headlight adjustment screw.
The Novas did NOT cause any codes to be thrown (I had my trusty AlphaOBD at the ready) and I did not install any resistors. I suspect this is because my running lights and turn signals were LED from the factory. I know that previously in this thread, @AE5548 said that his OEM running/signal lights were incandescent and his Novas caused a code. In my case, these were truly plug and play.

Here are a couple of pics after install. I'll post a few output pics at some point.

PXL_20210114_200241997.jpg Novas Night.jpg PXL_20210114_203021275.jpg