Amazon Basics Full Synth

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Who runs it in their 5.7?

Cold Flow tests are better than top dollar oils with competitive wear protection. Winter came early and the deal right now is too good to pass up even if it only lasts 3k.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
It's a decent additive package why not? Probably will last well over 3k miles. I'll do your job for you and post a sheet on it. I do believe the test you are referring to was of 10w30's, which is a problem as most oil companies make that weight specifically for thick starts, so in that case amazon basics fails those users. When you want a cold flow test, you have to use 0 and 5 winter rated oils to compare. Or do you have a different cold flow test to post? Teach me I can learn, if a 0 winter rated amazon beats a 0 winter rated m1 I will be blown away.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Know nothing about it, was always under the impression it was a budget rebrand and not an independent formula.

The only video I watched was the amsoil comparison tests.

https://youtu.be/kQ1LK5KSBT

Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
You said cold flow test but I didn't see cold flow test?

A rebrand or independent formula, which would be better? I guess it depends on the formula.

Reactions: U&A
OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Supertech which held its own vs redline. Off track season I will certainly save my pennies on lube.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Shoot over some specific posts with data, the first 2 pages were coffee house bull like I’m sure the rest of the thread is.

This wasn’t meant to troll the people who are severely overpaying for commuter oil(like I may have been for RP the last few winters) I’m hoping for feedback from 5.7 consumers on the title oil usage.

With a 180 stat I have to make back to back runs to sniff 210 oil temps around freezing ambient temps, AGS intact without clutch fan. Not that we need to veer off-topic, but any improved formula that offers better protection at high temps is not applicable.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Glad I could help, nothing wrong with amazon oil, or super tech. But you need to lighten up Alice.

OP
OP
Tim Garceau

Tim Garceau

Banned
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport Quad BSP
Engine
3.92 8 Speed 5.7 4X4
Nothing more chill than saving $30 an oil change.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Backyard Cold flow test and the one armed bandit “wear test” are not something you should consider as decision makers when picking an oil. Though they are definitely interesting to see and draw your own conclusions from.

There are standard tests put in place for a reason.

And the sys thread is nothing like a coffee house conversation. Go a few thousand post in and start reading again.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Great example of my point[emoji3595][emoji3595]

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Your right. Redline is totally snake oil. I stoped running it because of this guys videos. He totally de-bunks the whole ester and PAO crap that we fell for.

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said above, I'm sure it's a fine oil for our trucks, how we use them, where we use them and how we maintain them.

I'm not sure on the pricing for this oil, but when I can get 5qt jugs of supertech synthetic or Napa synthetic on sale for $15-18/jug, maybe it fits the bill?

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Who runs it in their 5.7?

Cold Flow tests are better than top dollar oils with competitive wear protection. Winter came early and the deal right now is too good to pass up even if it only lasts 3k.

Tim, I found the below article regarding this oil. Blackstone themselves said whatever works for your vehicle, regardless of the "name" or "brand". I highlighted some good points from the article.

Amazon delivers electronics, home goods, work supplies, groceries, and clothing straight to your door. So, you shouldn't be surprised to learn that the retail giant sells its very own own motor oil, too. You may already be familiar with the AmazonBasics brand from buying generic versions of electronics accessories, like cables or AA batteries. Now, the brand covers plenty of odds and ends including anything from a microwave, to a bed frame, bath towels, and now motor oil.

As for the oil, you don't have to worry about it failing or being unsafe for your car. Like other more expensive oil brands on our list, AmazonBasics Motor Oil has been Dexos1 Gen 2, API SN, and ILSAC GF-5 approved. A Forbes Magazine writer said he used it for his latest oil change and saw "no difference in performance, horse power or mileage" when compared with the more expensive motor oils he regularly used. Still not convinced?

Blackstone Laboratories performed an oil analysis on thousands of vehicles to determine if certain oil brands contain more metal wear particles, which can affect engine longevity. They determined that "as long as the oil weight and certifications match what your car needs, there's no point in splurging for a brand name motor oil."

For those who are curious, Amazon’s new private label motor oils are supplied by Warren Distribution, which is headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Warren’s brand portfolio includes MAG 1, Polar, ACCEL Premium, Craftsman Lubricants, and Gumout. It's also said to be the same supplier of Walmart's affordable Super Tech motor oil. So, if you're looking for a cheap and easy way to get oil, it's definitely worth considering.

https://www.bestproducts.com/cars/parts/g1286/car-motor-oil/

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Like said above, I'm sure it's a fine oil for our trucks, how we use them, where we use them and how we maintain them.

I'm not sure on the pricing for this oil, but when I can get 5qt jugs of supertech synthetic or Napa synthetic on sale for $15-18/jug, maybe it fits the bill?

This. IMO, as long as the weight and certs match what we need I say go for it. Why do I need to buy high dollar oil with a fancier name in a different weight than what is recommended? If this issue with "ticks" and cam failures is so horrible and rampant, why do we keep buying these trucks and how would Ram be able to continue to sell these trucks without taking a loss for parts and warranty repair? Not saying there isn't a known issue, but I shouldn't have to go out and buy high dollar oil in a weight other than what the manufacturer recommends every time I hear a noise or a "tick". If there's really an issue, it needs to go in for service. I shouldn't have to spend my extra money to try and prevent and issue while voiding my warranty. BTW, I did post my Blackstone results in the Blackstone thread, I think I had around 4500 miles on my sample, and I use Valvoline semi synthetic 5w-30. My sample was pretty good, and I drive like a bat out of hell. The pedal is to the floor the whole way to work everyday, 35 miles at 75-90mph, and coming home is stop and go for an hour in Texas heat. After work and weekends is all stop and go in town driving.

dexter

Banned
Reaction score

see the link in my sig line

dexter

Banned
Reaction score
Tim, I found the below article regarding this oil. Blackstone themselves said whatever works for your vehicle, regardless of the "name" or "brand". I highlighted some good points from the article.

Amazon delivers electronics, home goods, work supplies, groceries, and clothing straight to your door. So, you shouldn't be surprised to learn that the retail giant sells its very own own motor oil, too. You may already be familiar with the AmazonBasics brand from buying generic versions of electronics accessories, like cables or AA batteries. Now, the brand covers plenty of odds and ends including anything from a microwave, to a bed frame, bath towels, and now motor oil.

As for the oil, you don't have to worry about it failing or being unsafe for your car. Like other more expensive oil brands on our list, AmazonBasics Motor Oil has been Dexos1 Gen 2, API SN, and ILSAC GF-5 approved. A Forbes Magazine writer said he used it for his latest oil change and saw "no difference in performance, horse power or mileage" when compared with the more expensive motor oils he regularly used. Still not convinced?

Blackstone Laboratories performed an oil analysis on thousands of vehicles to determine if certain oil brands contain more metal wear particles, which can affect engine longevity. They determined that "as long as the oil weight and certifications match what your car needs, there's no point in splurging for a brand name motor oil."

For those who are curious, Amazon’s new private label motor oils are supplied by Warren Distribution, which is headquartered in Omaha, Nebraska. Warren’s brand portfolio includes MAG 1, Polar, ACCEL Premium, Craftsman Lubricants, and Gumout. It's also said to be the same supplier of Walmart's affordable Super Tech motor oil. So, if you're looking for a cheap and easy way to get oil, it's definitely worth considering.

https://www.bestproducts.com/cars/parts/g1286/car-motor-oil/

Also, see the link in my sig. line.