Amp or RBP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I installed my AMP power steps myself. I did have to put pressure on them and lightly bounce up-and-down in order for them to clear the pinch welds. It's kind of known that you have to do that but for some reason I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the instructions. Mine were hanging up on the edge of the weld like it appears yours is. I lossend up the bolts a little and gently bounced on them a few times and they cleared. I have had them on my truck for 4 years now and they work flawlessly. I'm a pretty big guy and they don't flex at all. Now that I think about it the passenger side was the one that hung up the worst when I installed them originally.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Mine aren’t hanging up, check out the pic, it’s at least 7/8 of an inch from clearing the pinch weld. Bouncing on them will not move them an inch, it may move them an 1/8” but no way it will move the amount I need.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I appreciate everyone trying to help but “bouncing” on the steps is not going to move these as much as is needed. The passenger side overlaps the pinch weld by a full 1/2” so it needs to go back that half inch, plus the distance of the rain gutter 3/8”. So if you really mean to tell me to bounce on them to move them an inch I think your dreaming.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Look at the difference in the two sides

Drivers Side (hangs on pinch weld even after bounce trick)
379A12A8-EF10-41AD-ACDC-7FFA39FB6080.jpeg

Passenger side (over lap pinch weld 1/2”)
73ADA0DC-8391-4954-87B8-27CF93F0C205.jpeg

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I can't see the pictures you posted for some reason so unfortunately I can't compare them to mine. I'm trying to figure out what could be different that would cause them to be that far off since the bracket basically just bolts to the cab and all of the parts that would have anything to do with the adjustment are casted pieces. There really isn't that much adjustment. I didn't take pictures of mine when they were getting hung up but it was pretty significant. Basically mine needed to be moved down so they would clear more than they needed to be moved in. I don't think I have seen anyone have clearance issues like this with the steps that couldn't be corrected with the bounce trick. I don't think you could have gotten the wrong brackets with the kit.
They fit into the pre drilled holes in the cab so basically the holes wouldn't line up correctly if they were for a different truck, but I guess anything is possible. Im sure it's frustrating. Hopefully AMP will be of some assistance when you contact them. Good luck keep us posted.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I can't see the pictures you posted for some reason so unfortunately I can't compare them to mine. I'm trying to figure out what could be different that would cause them to be that far off since the bracket basically just bolts to the cab and all of the parts that would have anything to do with the adjustment are casted pieces. There really isn't that much adjustment. I didn't take pictures of mine when they were getting hung up but it was pretty significant. Basically mine needed to be moved down so they would clear more than they needed to be moved in. I don't think I have seen anyone have clearance issues like this with the steps that couldn't be corrected with the bounce trick. I don't think you could have gotten the wrong brackets with the kit.
They fit into the pre drilled holes in the cab so basically the holes wouldn't line up correctly if they were for a different truck, but I guess anything is possible. Im sure it's frustrating. Hopefully AMP will be of some assistance when you contact them. Good luck keep us posted.

Thanks for the help, I’ll have to see what they say, I loosened the bolts and had my girlfriend stand on them while I tightened them up, I gained about 3/8” but they still overlap the pinch weld by about 1/4”. Ive tried everything I can think of but they are just so far off.

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Thanks for the help, I’ll have to see what they say, I loosened the bolts and had my girlfriend stand on them while I tightened them up, I gained about 3/8” but they still overlap the pinch weld by about 1/4”. Ive tried everything I can think of but they are just so far off.

Another suggestion, Take the motor off the bracket completely pull the step down as far as it will go then reinstall the motor. If the setup is in a bind from the beginning that would be the only way to relive it. Also be sure the step is parallel as possible to the truck before re installing the motor.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Another suggestion, Take the motor off the bracket completely pull the step down as far as it will go then reinstall the motor. If the setup is in a bind from the beginning that would be the only way to relive it. Also be sure the step is parallel as possible to the truck before re installing the motor.
Motor isn’t in a bind. They operate fine

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Motor isn’t in a bind. They operate fine

Not the motor the entire step. I have a feeling that you think I'm messing with you, I'm not I am just offering advise based on my personal experience installing these myself. I remember the instructions being specific about not tightening everything up until the end otherwise the steps can present problems. Since you didn't do the install I would question the installer more than the product. Besides if they operate fine and you are only worried about finish can you see it standing 15 feet away and not laying under the truck?

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Not the motor the entire step. I have a feeling that you think I'm messing with you, I'm not I am just offering advise based on my personal experience installing these myself. I remember the instructions being specific about not tightening everything up until the end otherwise the steps can present problems. Since you didn't do the install I would question the installer more than the product. Besides if they operate fine and you are only worried about finish can you see it standing 15 feet away and not laying under the truck?
I wasn’t thinking you were messing with me, it’s hard to describe, the pics show it much better. I did do the installation, I’ve been working on cars/trucks for years. Hell I did a Fab-tech 6” lift on a 2019 1500 with IFS just a couple months ago, that’s much much more involved than these steps. There is no way that 12 bolts on Amp steps are that hard to install. There has to be something wrong, it’s not like they are off a little, they are off a mile.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also the steps hit the pinch on the passenger side with the motors out, it’s not even close.
I removed the motors, loosened the bolts, bounced on them and retorqued the bolts, it’s still a mile away from where it should be.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also you can’t tighten the bolts up at the end, you can’t get to them with the steps installed

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I wasn’t thinking you were messing with me, it’s hard to describe, the pics show it much better. I did do the installation, I’ve been working on cars/trucks for years. Hell I did a Fab-tech 6” lift on a 2019 1500 with IFS just a couple months ago, that’s much much more involved than these steps. There is no way that 12 bolts on Amp steps are that hard to install. There has to be something wrong, it’s not like they are off a little, they are off a mile.

I got you mixed up with another poster about the install. I remember thinking the same thing while installing mine that their shouldn't be any issues with where they sit. Heck you can't even put the brackets on the wrong side. I think you are right time to get AMP on the phone.

OP
OP
CincyCuda68

CincyCuda68

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I got you mixed up with another poster about the install. I remember thinking the same thing while installing mine that their shouldn't be any issues with where they sit. Heck you can't even put the brackets on the wrong side. I think you are right time to get AMP on the phone.
Yeah, I’m at a loss how the two sides can be so different. I had the same thought you can’t really screw up the installation, I would think that they should just fit and if they needed a tweak here or there you use the bounce method but the difference between my drivers side and passenger side is 1 1/2”. I’ll call Amp tomorrow and see what they say

JB1

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I looked at mine and they clear by a mile, not even close to rubbing at about 1/2” below the pinch.

9D0125C1-DCB3-4CF6-B4A6-45FCFDF035F6.jpeg

201F801B-BD51-4198-AA96-D73ACAB07640.jpeg

FB0018FE-1F3F-41B7-8FC0-E78C7003461C.jpeg

B5E09DEF-11B2-4CAD-BFE7-13596FF0011E.jpeg

C5D4C1BC-B9D3-4ADE-9AD4-AFE3B51FCF20.jpeg

Pull Ya

U.S. MARINE VETERAN
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been thinking about steps like this and I'm glad I read this. It reminds me of people buying $1000 headers and then having to beat on the tubes to make them fit correctly. Bounce on them---what the hell is that all about--I guess you need someone to help you that weights in at over 300lbs????????
Jay

KC Cryptkeeper

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram1500
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I've been thinking about steps like this and I'm glad I read this. It reminds me of people buying $1000 headers and then having to beat on the tubes to make them fit correctly. Bounce on them---what the hell is that all about--I guess you need someone to help you that weights in at over 300lbs????????
Jay

The bounce is to get the "nut" to seat down into the step completely due to tolerance. It isn't about poor quality.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Jay

I had mine done by an AMP dealer that had the same set on his shop Ram. (Same guy that did my cradle mods on the Challenger). Since I had looked over the install instructions I asked him about fitment and he said he's had a few trucks that needed a little bit of tweaking, but nothing insane and about on par with any other steps. Took him about 4 hours to knock it out and I only paid an extra $400 over MSRP including the taxes. At the time I had just had back surgery so the extra cost was well worth it to me and I didn't have to lift a finger.