ARH Long Tube Headers for 6.4 Hemi - wrap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I'm working toward upgrade to ARH Long Tube Headers before the crappy OEM headers warp so much the bolts snap off.

Truck is 2017 Ram 2500 4x4. These big, Heavy Duty frames are built for the Cummins engine, in addition to the two Hemi engines. Cummins is twice the weight of the Hemis, so the frame rail is really tall.

Cummins engine is also tall, being an in-line, strokey diesel. So the compact Hemi V-Block engines sit way down in the rails, unlike the light duty 1500 trucks.

I confirmed with ARH they have a long tube header that fits, and some members have installed them. My question is - since they're really jammed in there, is it necessary to thermally wrap the tubes? The OEM manifold Heat Shield obviously won't work.

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Not apples to apples but I have Coated DT headers. I'm not sure how much temperature reduction there is with ceramic coating but you might want check with ARH if wrapping the headers voids the warranty. Header wrap can be a moisture trap.

With my coated headers I don't feel it's any hotter under hood then it was with the manifolds. In fact, I think it might be cooler. Cast iron is like a skillet, retains heat. Flowing headers is efficiently evacuating heated exhaust.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'm working toward upgrade to ARH Long Tube Headers before the crappy OEM headers warp so much the bolts snap off.

Truck is 2017 Ram 2500 4x4. These big, Heavy Duty frames are built for the Cummins engine, in addition to the two Hemi engines. Cummins is twice the weight of the Hemis, so the frame rail is really tall.

Cummins engine is also tall, being an in-line, strokey diesel. So the compact Hemi V-Block engines sit way down in the rails, unlike the light duty 1500 trucks.

I confirmed with ARH they have a long tube header that fits, and some members have installed them. My question is - since they're really jammed in there, is it necessary to thermally wrap the tubes? The OEM manifold Heat Shield obviously won't work.

You're going to get all kinds of guys telling you ,you can't wrap them,which is an old wifes tail from the old days of thin wall mild steel headers,they would heat stress and crack at the welds,but anything built in the last 10 years is of better quality.
Personally i'd wrap them,as the benefits to wrapping them out weigh any down side you'll probably never experience.
Wrapping them keeps more heat in the primaries which promotes better exhaust scavenging ,leading to a better cylinder fill on the intake stroke ,consequently more power,plus you'll have way less issues with under hood heat trying to burn up any hoses or wiring in the vicinity of the headers,and the biggest gain is you'll keep the knock sensors way happier,they sit right under the primaries and have a tendenancy to pick up the internal pinging in the primaries. Anybody who tells you ceramic coating is as good,is full of ****,see which set you can put your hand on the longest before frying your skin,that'll tell you right there which way keeps more heat in the primaries,lol. My JBA's have been doubled wrapped since the day they went on 6 years ago,and my truck is nitrous fed so it generates more exhaust heat then most trucks,and they're still in great shape.My complete exhaust is wrapped right back to my X pipe,as i use the mufflers as a poor mans expansion chamber. This is what my cheap JBA midpipe looked like after being wrapped for 5 years,doesn't even show much in the way of surface rust or stress cracking at the welds,and JBA's are supposed to be junk according to some guys on here,lol.

DSCN4016.JPG

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I am not a fan of wrap especially for a daily. It is certainly not necessary to wrap them. We have MANY customers with many different vehicle applications, RAM being one of them without any wrap or thermal coating and it does not cause any issues.

Let us know when you are ready for some ARH headers. We can help you with your order. ARH is a great choice as they are high quality and have excellent fitment!

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I am not a fan of wrap especially for a daily. It is certainly not necessary to wrap them. We have MANY customers with many different vehicle applications, RAM being one of them without any wrap or thermal coating and it does not cause any issues.

Let us know when you are ready for some ARH headers. We can help you with your order. ARH is a great choice as they are high quality and have excellent fitment!

There's a pile of guys who end up pulling their headers back off and wrapping them Nick,a few tuners like Jay are starting to reconmend wrapping them or else you have a good chance of running into false knock. Sucks when you run into that issue and end up pulling them back off to wrap,lol. Most times i agree with you,but not on this. Besides what are your reasons for not wrapping them. Don't give me any wifes tails either,i want pics of what you're going to try to claim,lol Pics of cracked welds and rusted out headers or i call ******** on you,lol. There's more benefits to wrapping them,then there are downsides

Last edited:
OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Thanks, responders.

My concern was actually all the stuff the pipes are routing close to. I guess I could ask ARH about durability with wrapping, but they'll probably just tell me not to for warranty & liability avoidance. It's tough to make this work as a system - not just a group of parts.

I don't understand anything about the electronics - don't know why a "false knock" would occur or any of that. Knowing ARH's are well-built, I'm more inclined to wrap than not.

@Wild one - is there a preferred wrap out there these days? In the diesel world, we used big, bulky solid rock wool-filled blankets that obviously are ill-suited here with a shrink-wrapped engine install.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks, responders.

My concern was actually all the stuff the pipes are routing close to. I guess I could ask ARH about durability with wrapping, but they'll probably just tell me not to for warranty & liability avoidance. It's tough to make this work as a system - not just a group of parts.

I don't understand anything about the electronics - don't know why a "false knock" would occur or any of that. Knowing ARH's are well-built, I'm more inclined to wrap than not.

@Wild one - is there a preferred wrap out there these days? In the diesel world, we used big, bulky solid rock wool-filled blankets that obviously are ill-suited here with a shrink-wrapped engine install.

I like DEI's titanium wrap,they say you don't have to soak it in water,but the stuff lays alot better when it's wet,and is a fair bit nicer to handle,it's itchy as hell if you don't wet it.

Titanium™ Exhaust Wrap - Design Engineering, Inc

"The Original" TITANIUM Exhaust Wrap Installation - YouTube

How To install Thermal/Exhaust Wrap. Don't try this at home. - YouTube

Damn i didn't realize John/Boosted Motorsports had done a video on wrapping a set of headers,lol

How to Header Wrap Complicated Exhaust Manifolds - A Complete Guide - YouTube

Last edited:

88ROOK

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I used the titanium wrap, believe i used 2 50ft rolls and 2 25ft rolls(not for sure though) and whatever straps u think u need get alot more, make sure u tape the ends of the wrap cause once that stuff starts to unravel, its a pain in the but. also you're going to have move one of the wiring harness(just a precaution) mines been on over a year and no problems. good luck. buy it online but first find a local store that carries it just in case u need more, but it does cost more

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
DEI has a newer product - titanium sleeves - for lazy old guys like me. I sent an email asking what they recommend for my application. Thanks, members.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
DEI has a newer product - titanium sleeves - for lazy old guys like me. I sent an email asking what they recommend for my application. Thanks, members.

I've seen them on their site,but i've never actually seen the sleeves in person or worked with them.If you go with the sleeves keep us updated on them,as i've wrapped more then enough headers in my day,to really hate wrapping them.If the sleeves work good,the next set i wrap,which could be a set for my wifes Challenger,might get the sleeves instead,lol

Last edited:

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
This has been making the rounds of the facebook pages the last couple days,supposedly ARH is asking for your Vin number now.Whether that's true i'm not gonna comment on,its just something i've seen posted on the facebook pages in the last few days.

156876366_284017439806072_4355828652182860386_n.jpg

clint440

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
This has been making the rounds of the facebook pages the last couple days,supposedly ARH is asking for your Vin number now.Whether that's true i'm not gonna comment on,its just something i've seen posted on the facebook pages in the last few days.

156876366_284017439806072_4355828652182860386_n.jpg

That settles it, the best headers are the are the "mind your own business" type

OP
OP
HEMIMANN

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hardball time, eh? So much for that plan.

Hey Stellantis - how about fixing your crappy design yourself?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Hardball time, eh? So much for that plan.

Hey Stellantis - how about fixing your crappy design yourself?

Things seem to have gotten a bit nasty in the last few weeks.Brandon-W and i think
there might be a market for selling Canuck VIN numbers now,lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lasse452