Avoid Cooper Tires Especially Discoverer at3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Yup - I read the latest BFG K02's are much better with the latest rubber compound. The previous gen wore quickly before they started compounding rubber with silica.

Elvira

Reaction score
I do not normally get too drastic changes, except for dat Friggin Tundra -5 F stuff in Feb 2021. But even here, gotta keep an eye and maintain. Tires cost too much to wear pre-maturely and also I try to keep optimum PSI in tires for ride, etc.,. Good thing my truck is a Driveway Queen, LOL.
I agree T-Bird, tires are too dear to just let them wear away because of lack of maintenance. I too keep my tires inflated properly and it does pay off, but like you....my Ram is also a driveway queen. lol

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I agree T-Bird, tires are too dear to just let them wear away because of lack of maintenance. I too keep my tires inflated properly and it does pay off, but like you....my Ram is also a driveway queen. lol
YUP, run my MC as much as I can till weather slows me down some, I do not like getting cold on a MC. I can beat the heat, tho I do not ride over 100 F, but cold, just not good. Use MC for all lil runs, truck for the big stuff, like horse feed and such.

IMG_1188.JPG

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
random tire po-rn, bfg white label out, never heard many complaints on these tires and the old ford forums this was the tire to have.

View attachment 504834

Those are the tires I would like to put on my Ram when these Coopers go to tire heaven.

I'm not loving having to spend more than twice what the Coopers ran me, though.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Those are the tires I would like to put on my Ram when these Coopers go to tire heaven.

I'm not loving having to spend more than twice what the Coopers ran me, though.
Costco, even with a special order item load e where under a grand for me. I forget exact amount, I wanna say it was 800ish. I have to find the receipt or my post here when I got them. I am sure the out the door price with all the charges where under a grand.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well I wound up putting the 2 worst tires on the back and things quieted up for now was looking at some new tires and the prices where insane $250-300 a tire for similar tires screw that... I will run these til prices return to normal lol.

Last edited:

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I had Cooper AT3s on my Jeep. Looked great, but they became noisy after 20,000 KM and handled very poor in the greasy snow.

Now I just run Michelin everywhere. I know there are other good brands, but I won't play scrooge with tires or brakes or anything that keeps me on the road. Tires will last me 5 to 6 years, paying an extra 50 to 100 per tire is small potatoes.

Running Michelin Defender LTx right now and they're awesome. Quiet (so far!), and they work amazing in the snow too. In fact, my truck runs better in the snow now with these defenders on, than the Jeep with dedicated michelin winters, so part of that must just be the weight of the truck as well but still.

I just wish I had a tiny less bit of squirm while towing. It's that fine line between an awesome daily driver tire vs a rougher/heavier tire that handles better for towing. Not sure it's possible to have both.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Costco, even with a special order item load e where under a grand for me. I forget exact amount, I wanna say it was 800ish. I have to find the receipt or my post here when I got them. I am sure the out the door price with all the charges where under a grand.
Good to know, @Burla. I will check into it.

Def want the E rated tires

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If I had it to over I would have went d, they are pretty stiff, lol. But it is good to have the insurance. I don't tow heavy and my heavy payloads are like cross city at worse, If I towed 10k, I would want e's for sure.

Alweeja

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Goodyear purchase/ownership must be the reason. Lower end of their brand

farout75

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 L
Do not buy coooper tires this is the second time I have been burnt by this brand in 3 months. First my 2011 jeeps cooper tires with 80% tread 1.5 yrs old went out of round on the inner edges all 4 noticed one day it started to sound like i had mud tires. Today I am driving my truck with 275/60R20 Cooper Discoverer at3 tires again about 2 yrs old 70% tread and I start to get a front end viberation looked it over SURE ENOUGH outer edge of all 4 tires out of round. I paid $1200 for these tires and loved them up until now the traction was great ect but come on... falling apart with little mileage and 70% tread I guess they dont make them like they use to........
I have used Cooper tires, but 10 ply and have had no issues. IMO keeping the air pressure is a huge issue with all tire brands. Big tires fluctuate in pressure when out side temps change by 20 degrees F. That might be your issue. I adjust my tire pressure about three times a year in Missouri because of the temp changes.

OP
OP
jws123

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

TomB 1269

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Classic
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have had great experience with cooper tires. I specifically have the discover AT3 4S which is different from the other Discover models. I had the ATW +4 on my F150 and never had a problem. Ran Cobras on the 1997 Sonoma ZQ8 (factory lowered truck) for years without issue.

CAGEYAR

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
I'm on my 2nd set of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT's in LT275-65/20.
Never had a problem with the first set.
Took them off to sell with 5-6/32's left at 45K miles. I get enough on CL to pay for one of the new tires.
I have 12K on the new set-no issues. I rotate every 6K and run 45 psi normal driving.
They do get a bit noisier after 30K miles or so. No reason not to buy a 3rd set when the time comes.

Spree

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I just put the Cooper Rugged Trek's 275-60/20 on my 17 Ram 1500. They have around 10,000 miles now and no problems so far. Nice and quiet. There suppose to go for around 60,000 miles. I guess we'll find out.
I have 18" Zeon's on my Mustang GT. This is the 2nd set of Zeon's for it. No problems with any of them.

Tom Williams

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I’ve been running the copper AT3 XLTs on my 1500 for damn near 15,000 miles and I think they are amazing on and off road.

BLUKTY2

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Since tires on my vehicles hold everything dear to me (myself, wife and dog) I take them very seriously and never skimp on price. What is a couple/few hundred dollars price difference between a very good tire and a poor tire really matter on a $60,000 vehicle and my dear ones? I got rid of the Firestone Transforce tires that came on this very expensive truck in less than 400 miles. My history with Firestone is not a good one. YMMV.

For my summer tires I have used BFG KO2's for the last 25 years or so. I will freely admit that I have exceeded their weight limit for most of these years but I have never never had an issue with them (truck carries a very heavy camper). The roads where I live and drive on are punishing: no Interstate roads here and lots of gravel/pothole/washboard conditions.

I have a set of Cooper studded snow tires on one of my other vehicles and in 6 years I have not had a problem with them either. Not sure what to think about the accusation of Cooper by Goodyear but I will certainly be following this thread.

Pete

retired

Votes republican and identifies as a he/him
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Since tires on my vehicles hold everything dear to me (myself, wife and dog) I take them very seriously and never skimp on price. What is a couple/few hundred dollars price difference between a very good tire and a poor tire really matter on a $60,000 vehicle and my dear ones? I got rid of the Firestone Transforce tires that came on this very expensive truck in less than 400 miles. My history with Firestone is not a good one. YMMV.

For my summer tires I have used BFG KO2's for the last 25 years or so. I will freely admit that I have exceeded their weight limit for most of these years but I have never never had an issue with them (truck carries a very heavy camper). The roads where I live and drive on are punishing: no Interstate roads here and lots of gravel/pothole/washboard conditions.

I have a set of Cooper studded snow tires on one of my other vehicles and in 6 years I have not had a problem with them either. Not sure what to think about the accusation of Cooper by Goodyear but I will certainly be following this thread.

Pete
Ko2 came out in 2015