beware the scehduled maintenance service "recommendations"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Storm Trooper

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I took my 16 Ram Sport to the dealer for a routine oil change, fix the 'clunk' on the drive shaft, and figure out what is going on with my radio. (I have this red screen that says return vehicle to dealer for service) and the recall on the tail gate latch.
It had 32K miles on it and i change the oil between 5-6K miles. I was told it was due for a 30K mile scheduled maintenance. I vaguely remembered what was required for the service but was told i needed a rear diff fluid change, intake cleaning, water vapor in the gas tank treatment, and something called a BG engine restoration service.

$450 later, my radio still had the message, still had a driveshaft clunk, but i had an oil change, recall work done, and they rotated my tires.

i should have asked to see the service required for the 30K, and not been talked into all the other crap.

Fool me once shame on you, but they will not get a chance to fool me twice.

Now they are calling and emailing me to be sure I complete the customer satisfaction survey. I can't wait!!

mohemipar

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Laramie
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 4.10's
Unfortunately this is how some dealers operate. And it isn't just FCA. A GM tried to sell my wife an air filter for almost $200 and that didn't include the "labor" to change it.

"Air intake cleaning" lol. You can drop in a new filter yourself and also clean up the air tube/airbox of any dirt with a magical device called a vacuum cleaner. I'm guessing the dealer would have just threw in a new filter and that's it.

Also never heard of a dealer doing a water vapor in the tank treatment. To be honest I don't even understand this. I also have never heard of a BG engine restoration? Sounds like a BG crock of ****.

Ramnewbie

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Unfortunately this is how some dealers operate. And it isn't just FCA. A GM tried to sell my wife an air filter for almost $200 and that didn't include the "labor" to change it.

"Air intake cleaning" lol. You can drop in a new filter yourself and also clean up the air tube/airbox of any dirt with a magical device called a vacuum cleaner. I'm guessing the dealer would have just threw in a new filter and that's it.

Also never heard of a dealer doing a water vapor in the tank treatment. To be honest I don't even understand this. I also have never heard of a BG engine restoration? Sounds like a BG crock of ****.
My local ram dealer has a whole shelf full of BG products, it's probably some service that BG offers as far as additives and fluids.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

ColdCase

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Its worse than being fleeced as most of the FCA service manuals say not to do these types of cleanings as they do more ham than good. So they are damaging the vehicle along with fleecing you for profit. They have no intention of improving your ride or longevity.

The ratings may work as when I was in 8 months ago I was recommended unnecessary service. I followed up by knocked a few points off... with a comment in the what to improve section to stop doing that as it impacts the credibility of the service department. They didn't mention it this last service visit.... but they also did not provide the free ice cream I suggested :)

Last edited:

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sounds like some type of BS going on. I would be real careful on additives. And for chits and giggles, when U have an ED, putting in a non-OEM filter and U get an engine issue down the line, FCA will try and dump that warranty. Yet, my local Dealership offers Mopar or another non-OEM when U have change done. Another reason why I stepped away from my ED. All IMHO...

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
They all do it. Ive experienced: Dodge/RAM, Honda, Nissan, Infiniti, Acura and Lexus and even the "luxury" brands try to get ya. In fact I bet it works better for them than the non-luxury wings of the same brand because the owners tend to say "OK just get it done and charge me later".

I refuse to, though. As someone else mentioned: if its not in the maintenance schedule, it doesnt get done. I find it funny my RAM is the first vehicle that basically has no maintenance (other than typical oil changes and tire rotations) until 20K miles. Every car Ive purchased has maintenance callouts every 3-5K and they arent just oil changes. But the few times Ive taken them to a dealer Im always greeted with X, Y, Z is recommended.

The latest was the Lexus dealer saying my tires might need to be replaced "within the next 1 or 2 service intervals but if you do it today we can work out a deal". The service interval for our Lexus is...10K miles. I laughed and asked them if they expected me to pay them for tires today instead of waiting another 20K miles lol

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The last time a service advisor tried to screw me over I super-glued his nipples together and made him call me Sally.
I dont know what's scariest, that you glued his nipples or that you carry super glue AND like to be called Sally....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

69GWC

Power Wagon
Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi, 8sp
I took my 16 Ram Sport to the dealer for a routine oil change, fix the 'clunk' on the drive shaft, and figure out what is going on with my radio. (I have this red screen that says return vehicle to dealer for service) and the recall on the tail gate latch.
It had 32K miles on it and i change the oil between 5-6K miles. I was told it was due for a 30K mile scheduled maintenance. I vaguely remembered what was required for the service but was told i needed a rear diff fluid change, intake cleaning, water vapor in the gas tank treatment, and something called a BG engine restoration service.

$450 later, my radio still had the message, still had a driveshaft clunk, but i had an oil change, recall work done, and they rotated my tires.

i should have asked to see the service required for the 30K, and not been talked into all the other crap.

Now they are calling and emailing me to be sure I complete the customer satisfaction survey. I can't wait!!

Man the only thing on the list that might need done is changing the diff fluid.
The rest is bs.

A catch can will keep you from ever needing your intake cleaned.

A can of HEET in the gas would remove any water IF it had some.

BG engine restorer ? 32k thats surley not needed..lol

Dealer had a list for my wifes Mustang for her 60k service at the tune of $850 bucks with only 2 things on the list that needed to be done and neither that hard.

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
I remember an acura dealer telling my daughter when she was in for an oil change that she needed a brake fluid flush or it would void any brake system warranty. Car had 30000 miles. I called the shop and said that was ********. I said it's not in the owners manual maint schedule. AND I told him that if there was any master cylinder/ caliper etc failure while under the factory warranty it will be covered 100% free so do you have a problem with that, there was silence so I said thats what I figured, dont try ripping my daughter off again.

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Curious about your "Driveshaft clunk"... I hear something once in a while when I'm going over uneven pavement or bumps... what is causing your clunk?

Yeah, I worked for the dealerships for years... I don't buy into any of it. Warranty stuff only, if I can't fix the rest I know people who can.

Donutsahoy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L Hemi
Curious about your "Driveshaft clunk"... I hear something once in a while when I'm going over uneven pavement or bumps... what is causing your clunk?

Yeah, I worked for the dealerships for years... I don't buy into any of it. Warranty stuff only, if I can't fix the rest I know people who can.

Is it possible the “clunk” in your driveshaft is your spare tire loose and bouncing around? Sorry for the dumb question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1stHEMI

Reaction score
Is it possible the “clunk” in your driveshaft is your spare tire loose and bouncing around? Sorry for the dumb question.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nah, no dumb questions. Well, yeah, there are some but that wasn't one of them. LOL
I thought maybe that was it, I checked it and it didn't seem to be the issue. It's not often enough that I'm concerned but enough that I wonder.
thanks..

O.R.T.

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
**IMHO* BG and MOC are for the most part completely unnecessary for the type of owners who take care of their vehicles, yet, as a former industry person, I had to make sure our Parts Departments had it available should the customer accept the suggestion. Don't get me wrong, when someone shows up in a car they clearly do not maintain you're damn right even I will suggest the intake cleaning, but for the Hemi's, hell, even the Pentastar's it's unnecessary since these engines are NOT direct injection like some of the new import stuff is.

Last edited:

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in

Time to find a new service dept.

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
This is how they got the nickname "stealerships" what total b's. Sorry you got taken like that. I do my diff fluid, transfer case and transmission every 30k but that's just me. It's certainly not required at 30k, not even under the severe service schedule i don't think