ZF service recommendations straight from ZF

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Has anyone ever seem this document? It's from ZF themselves and it's their recommended procedure for a fluid change on a ZF 8HP trans. I find it interesting that it makes no mention of leveling the trans flange as we see mentioned on here so often. It actually states the vehicle should be in a horizontal position on the platform. I'm planning on doing a trans fluid change on my Ram soon and this seems to add some confusion compared to what I normally see here.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...aw1wXToHMzEVLTmXZY-N2gsY&ust=1665110159530610

NETim

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
I would still attempt to level the transmission. I haven't heard of problems with overfills (though I'm sure there have been some somewhere) but I have read many instances of issues with under filled ZF's.

OP
OP
T. Anders

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
In theory, I certainly agree with you. I’m just wondering why ZF themselves makes no mention of it?

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
In theory, I certainly agree with you. I’m just wondering why ZF themselves makes no mention of it?
99% of the applications that use the ZF transmission have the transmission basically sitting level in the vehicle,the oddball in the mix is the Ram trucks that have the transmission severly angled down towards the rear.Crawl under a Challenger/Charger /BMW etc.,that use the ZF and you'll see the transmission sits virtually parrellel with the ground.Another way to put it,is the Challenger/Charger use the same pan as the trucks,the cars pan sits virtually level,while the trucks points downhill ,take note of where the fill plug is,which transmission do you think you'll get more fluid into if they're both sitting level on a lift,i'll give you a clue,it's not the trucks 8 speed,lol.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read this procedure it explains that you have to get the rails level to do this procedure.@ Wildone here has done allot of research on this matter, Also ZF says it's a lifetime fluid who do you trust?

Last edited:

mdc1990zr1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Read this procedure it explains that you have to get the rails level to do this procedure.@ Wildone here has done allot of research on this matter, Also ZF says it's a lifetime fluid who do you trust?

Stellantis says its a lifetime fluid, not ZF. ZF who is the maker of the transmission says to change the fluid. I think their website calls for a 60K mike OCI. Other manufacturers that use this transmission, Porsche, BMW and Jaguar all have specific transmission change intervals.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T. Anders

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Actually Stellantis says lifetime, ZF says change the fluid every 60k.

BossHogg

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L Cummins
There is a lot of confusion here, manufactured by both ZF and RAM.

RAM has a 100K mile warranty on the drive line, or did. I'm going to stick with RAM's advise.

OP
OP
T. Anders

T. Anders

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
There is a lot of confusion here, manufactured by both ZF and RAM.

RAM has a 100K mile warranty on the drive line, or did. I'm going to stick with RAM's advise.
So, not change the fluid as Ram says it's lifetime?