Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Base conclusion: use whatever oil you want in a GDI engine, but under no circumstance let it go more than 5,000 miles.

Even Toyota's Atkinson Cycle hybrid GDI / GPI engine chucks the oil full of unburned and partially burned (soot) blowby contamination not found with conventional port fuel injected engines like HEMI.

At least that's one problem our trucks don't have, but I still change truck oil at 5,000 miles due to the weak lubrication system's sensitivity to any restricting deposits. An entirely differing reason to change early. If HEMI had a.robust lubrication system, we'd be talking about how long we could extend our oil changes instead.
Ah, well...

Travis8352

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Base conclusion: use whatever oil you want in a GDI engine, but under no circumstance let it go more than 5,000 miles.

Even Toyota's Atkinson Cycle hybrid GDI / GPI engine chucks the oil full of unburned and partially burned (soot) blowby contamination not found with conventional port fuel injected engines like HEMI.

At least that's one problem our trucks don't have, but I still change truck oil at 5,000 miles due to the weak lubrication system's sensitivity to any restricting deposits. An entirely differing reason to change early. If HEMI had a.robust lubrication system, we'd be talking about how long we could extend our oil changes instead.
Ah, well...
Hemis are also pretty dirty for a port injected engine hence the need for dual spark plugs

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Hemis are also pretty dirty for a port injected engine hence the need for dual spark plugs

Hemi needed dual plugs to meet emissions because cross flow scavenging flows easier allowing incomplete combustion to leave quicker. I read all about this during development via trade magazines. Were no coils in inventory strong enough to power 2 combustion sparks, so the old coils powered one combustion spark and one exhaust spark across the engine. Octopus wiring.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Sorry there's no good news, anymore.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
If anyone would like to try out a less expensive oil testing compared to Blackstone cost, Cummins now has there advanced oil test kits that includes TBN back in stock for $23.81 with free shipping on orders $75.+, btw theses kits do not come with free return shipping, but when I mailed mine in it only cost me all of $1.50 for postage to mail it to the lab. I also set up an account with the lab for free to keep track of all my UOA's on line...

Cummins shipping cost for orders under $35. is $4.99 if you just want to try one kit, orders under $75.00 its $8.99, I buy 4 at a time to get the free shipping, that helps lower cost of UOA testing and test kits will keep on the shelf: https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sJFRQA2/oil-analysis-advanced-plus-amp

If you want an even cheaper oil test kit that also has TBN included Cummins has a kit that is now currently out of stock for $16.17 but you can sign up to be notified when its back in stock on this web page: https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sJFSQA2/oil-analysis-advanced-amp

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Just for fun, I looked up what Mobil lab testing is up to these days. Was surprised to see it's still restricted to commercial customers through Mobil Distributors same as way back in my days.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
If anyone would like to try out a less expensive oil testing compared to Blackstone cost, Cummins now has there advanced oil test kits that includes TBN back in stock for $23.81 with free shipping on orders $75.+, btw theses kits do not come with free return shipping, but when I mailed mine in it only cost me all of $1.50 for postage to mail it to the lab. I also set up an account with the lab for free to keep track of all my UOA's on line...

Cummins shipping cost for orders under $35. is $4.99 if you just want to try one kit, orders under $75.00 its $8.99, I buy 4 at a time to get the free shipping, that helps lower cost of UOA testing and test kits will keep on the shelf: https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sJFRQA2/oil-analysis-advanced-plus-amp

If you want an even cheaper oil test kit that also has TBN included Cummins has a kit that is now currently out of stock for $16.17 but you can sign up to be notified when its back in stock on this web page: https://shop.cummins.com/CSSNAStore/s/product/a2w4N000003sJFSQA2/oil-analysis-advanced-amp
nice is looks like you get tan and tbn number for that?

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
nice is looks like you get tan and tbn number for that?
Not sure if they do TAN test or not on gas engine oil but for the price its still much cheaper then Blackstone, I was shocked to have the test results emailed to me 1 day after it being received at the lab in UT, I have learned they test for gas in oil using Gas Chromatography not the flash point like Blackstone does...

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I looked through the last couple dozen pages and no one has anything near the levels I have for Al, Fe, Cu with as low of an OCI. Redline 5W/30 is the oil used.

So what's getting ready to grenade in my engine? :oops:

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-08 181720.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-03-08 181720.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I looked through the last couple dozen pages and no one has anything near the levels I have for Al, Fe, Cu with as low of an OCI. Redline 5W/30 is the oil used.

Um try page 1 post two, my uoa, much worse. Generally speaking what you see is a combo, young engine stuff and normal hemi wear, it is a high wear engine. My guess is the second oil change from this one will be dramatically better, perhaps you should run another uoa at that point set you at ease. Don't change anything, best way to test the result and how that engine is and not the oil. You did not post second page of report? how did viscosity turns out, it matters. If the oil is near 12 visc you engine isnt shredding oil, meaning no sharp edges.

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Um try page 1 post two, my uoa, much worse. Generally speaking what you see is a combo, young engine stuff and normal hemi wear, it is a high wear engine. My guess is the second oil change from this one will be dramatically better, perhaps you should run another uoa at that point set you at ease. Don't change anything, best way to test the result and how that engine is and not the oil. You did not post second page of report? how did viscosity turns out, it matters. If the oil is near 12 visc you engine isnt shredding oil, meaning no sharp edges.

I saw that, that was virtually a brand new engine which one would expect the levels to be elevated but lower as time goes on, how did your levels look at 45K? The other reports I saw at my total mileage (45K) were considerably lower in all facets.

Steady as she goes is the plan in hopes that the levels come down and plan on another UOA as well. Viscosity was 63.2 and 11.11 respectively.

I'm fine if all this just points to the lifters and cam, just means upgrade time. But I was surprised at the aluminum levels and has me more worried than the others.

ramffml

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I saw that, that was virtually a brand new engine which one would expect the levels to be elevated but lower as time goes on, how did your levels look at 45K? The other reports I saw at my total mileage (45K) were considerably lower in all facets.

Steady as she goes is the plan in hopes that the levels come down and plan on another UOA as well. Viscosity was 63.2 and 11.11 respectively.

I'm fine if all this just points to the lifters and cam, just means upgrade time. But I was surprised at the aluminum levels and has me more worried than the others.

I'd definitely wait for a second UOA to see if those metals are trending up or down. Not much you can do beyond what you're already doing other than just wait. If you hear no knocking/ticking then chances are you're fine.

My aluminum in 5 successive UOA's went: 3, 2, 3, 1, 4

The first 4 runs were RL at different weights, last one was mobil 1 0w-40.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD

I see that the comments state that last oil change was about 2 years ago, is that correct that the oil was almost 2 years old when it was tested? o_O

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

No copper has to do with oil cooler and yes 45k is a young engine, towards the end of being young this I'll give you. Aluminum is fine, you did shred some viscosity. You should trust blackstone when they say everything is normal. Mind you redline can often not be the lowest wear oil, PUP has that honor along with perhaps amsoil. Redline gives us max protection for cam, but if you cam is fine at some point maybe you try a different oil? Again, to test the wear on the engine trends you need the same oil, but if the result is what interests you most, perhaps 5w30 pup with a 29-820 would be the best result. Heavy aw additives both cause wear and stop wear, tis a fact.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi

This is the first hemi uoa I seen in uoa section bobs, nore how fast wear dropped 45k-55k, similar miles. Now he did change weights, but I am doubting that paid off to that amount less of wear. Notice aluminum went up 1, likely cold starts with a heavier oil. just a general uoa I thought might shed light on yours

18GSMRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I see that the comments state that last oil change was about 2 years ago, is that correct that the oil was almost 2 years old when it was tested? o_O
Yeah she is mostly a garage queen since I have had her. I did make sure that when she was driven that it was for long enough periods of time that the oil heated up to temp to burn off the moisture.
No copper has to do with oil cooler and yes 45k is a young engine, towards the end of being young this I'll give you. Aluminum is fine, you did shred some viscosity. You should trust blackstone when they say everything is normal. Mind you redline can often not be the lowest wear oil, PUP has that honor along with perhaps amsoil. Redline gives us max protection for cam, but if you cam is fine at some point maybe you try a different oil? Again, to test the wear on the engine trends you need the same oil, but if the result is what interests you most, perhaps 5w30 pup with a 29-820 would be the best result. Heavy aw additives both cause wear and stop wear, tis a fact.
Curious, what do you mean by "oil cooler"?
This is the first hemi uoa I seen in uoa section bobs, nore how fast wear dropped 45k-55k, similar miles. Now he did change weights, but I am doubting that paid off to that amount less of wear. Notice aluminum went up 1, likely cold starts with a heavier oil. just a general uoa I thought might shed light on yours
Appreciate the find, I know the UOA's are all about trends and I need another reading or two to really see what track this engine is on. I have only owned it since 40K so I have no idea what's its life was like before but I do know it has heavy idle hours for its mileage/age.

06 Dodge

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L CTD
Yeah she is mostly a garage queen since I have had her. I did make sure that when she was driven that it was for long enough periods of time that the oil heated up to temp to burn off the moisture.

Curious, what do you mean by "oil cooler"?

Appreciate the find, I know the UOA's are all about trends and I need another reading or two to really see what track this engine is on. I have only owned it since 40K so I have no idea what's its life was like before but I do know it has heavy idle hours for its mileage/age.

You cut off the lower part of the UOA, so what was the TBN for the oil after 4500 miles of usage and it being 2 years old?