Blackstone - used oil analysis

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Wow, your engine really likes it!

How does it sound? I didnt try PP, but PYB and PUP in mine sounded OK for a little while....around 2500 miles or so on each OCI it started to sound noisy again.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
6,000 miles with PP 5W-20 with Wix XP filter. Analysis came back even better this time with a slightly longer OCI. I think I will start doing 7,500 from now on.

View attachment 153682

Pretty perfect for a hemi, what oil did you use last time? 7500 good idea for sure, maybe more.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Same oil, different filter (Bosch Distance Plus). I did much more short trips on this most recent change.

Interesting, PP went to sn+ basically means low calcium, and it looks like the last change was old stock PP but the previous change was sn+, just an interesting note imo. While those numbers are near perfect for the hemi, better then like 90% of them, there still is room to improve because hemi's are high ear engines. It might be possible that 5w30 PP will even drop those wear numbers more. PP 5w30 is a very thin 5w30, there would be no way to even tell it was a 5w30 in a uoa. The viscosity starts at 9.8, pdf. But will be in the 20 weight range during your interval. I use PUP 5w30 in my wife's rav 4, it is very much smoother then 5w20, but as you can see on stat sheet nobody could tell the difference. Up to 9.3 operating viscosity is a twenty weight, up to 12.5 is a 30 weight, so as you can see PP 5w30 is more close to a twenty weight then the upper limit of thirty weight. Just something to consider, it is a little more protection but at near zero risk as it is so close to a 20 weight and carries fca spec ms6395.

OP
OP
rwreuter

rwreuter

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
What does high "ear" engine mean?

tidefan1967

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Interesting, PP went to sn+ basically means low calcium, and it looks like the last change was old stock PP but the previous change was sn+, just an interesting note imo. While those numbers are near perfect for the hemi, better then like 90% of them, there still is room to improve because hemi's are high ear engines. It might be possible that 5w30 PP will even drop those wear numbers more. PP 5w30 is a very thin 5w30, there would be no way to even tell it was a 5w30 in a uoa. The viscosity starts at 9.8, pdf. But will be in the 20 weight range during your interval. I use PUP 5w30 in my wife's rav 4, it is very much smoother then 5w20, but as you can see on stat sheet nobody could tell the difference. Up to 9.3 operating viscosity is a twenty weight, up to 12.5 is a 30 weight, so as you can see PP 5w30 is more close to a twenty weight then the upper limit of thirty weight. Just something to consider, it is a little more protection but at near zero risk as it is so close to a 20 weight and carries fca spec ms6395.
So some of the no tick/very little tick guys could maybe get away with PUP 5W30/5W40 and a Mopar filter changed at 4-5K intervals if they were really worried about voiding there warranties.......... having a receipt that said 5W20 for their records of course. Personally I'm not convinced that any oil with less than 150-200ppm of Moly is going to cut it for the long haul and even that amount of Moly is still not going to make me want to go longer than 4-5K between changes.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
So some of the no tick/very little tick guys could maybe get away with PUP 5W30/5W40 and a Mopar filter changed at 4-5K intervals if they were really worried about voiding there warranties.......... having a receipt that said 5W20 for their records of course. Personally I'm not convinced that any oil with less than 150-200ppm of Moly is going to cut it for the long haul and even that amount of Moly is still not going to make me want to go longer than 4-5K between changes.

My brain doesn't operate in the realm of worry about what some fkin warranty that will likely deny you anyway is gonna do. As noted, a dealer refused to work on my warranties vehicle and I hired a lawyer and won 13k, lawyer got 3k, and I got ten, with plenty of laughs.

The problem is the dealer doesn't have any right to your service records, you never signed anything saying as much. They have to prove the lube caused the issue and nothing less then this, or they will loose in court. If you are worried, if you ever have a failure, take a sample and send to blackstone, you will have a record with the date.

Yes if you are worried about warranty keep using ultra thin oils and hopefully when your cam fails it will happen under warranty, or take care of your equipment as if it was your equipment and let the chips fall where they may. This guy's uoa is great for a hemi, but if that was one of 80% of the vehicles out there other then a hemi those wear numbers would be very troubling, even as low as they are. Most vehicles are under 10 in wear numbers in a well broke in engine, but once again like perfect wear numbers for a hemi as we only see with Pennzoil synthetics. They have always been top shelf with wear numbers, despite what we have seen in rlk and h395's uoa's.

If the warranty is the main concern and you are afraid of going away from manual, it is a good point to stay with this oil as tidefan was inquiring. However, 5w30 PP as you see is basically a 20 weight oil, was my point, but will possible even give better wear numbers. And, you are likely out of warranty soon anyhow, and your engine will soon be classified high mileage engine, 5w30 PP maybe the best choice going forward. Something to consider, it was very nice to see that oil serve you well. I know 100 guys who wish their hemi was working as well proven by the OP's uoa, wonderful to see!

5w30 does have ms6395 spec, but not for mds vehicle.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I put the same oil in again this time, 5-20 PP. I'll let it run the course this time and then make the switch to 5-30 PP or PUP. Look out for another post in 6 months or so!

I had a bunch of 5-20 that I bought so I had to get through my stock first before considering switching. I'm just happy to see nothing crazy from using 5-20

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
What does high "ear" engine mean?

yeah it is the chrome book, if you tap the tab under the shift it leaves blank, the keys are really close together. happens too much. i need to start typing in lower case.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I put the same oil in again this time, 5-20 PP. I'll let it run the course this time and then make the switch to 5-30 PP or PUP. Look out for another post in 6 months or so!

I had a bunch of 5-20 that I bought so I had to get through my stock first before considering switching. I'm just happy to see nothing crazy from using 5-20

PUP is great stuff, I have years worth of that 5w30 for the wife's car. It is a 1/2 point thicker then PP operating temp 10.5 versus 9.8 in PP, however that is still a low viscosity oil in 5w30 just fyi. My wife's car very smooth on this, and I know there is more detergency and I like that. If I was in your shoes, I might stay away from 0w40 PUP and I don't say that often. Your numbers are so good no reason to take the risk even though they are small. One thing you can do it add a couple qrts of 0w40 PUP tp 5w20 PUP and boost the moly level. Or not, really doesn't matter that much when an engine looks as good as yours, but it will give a bit more protection for that cam.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good looking report! I would stay around the 5 to 7 range for your interval. What filter did you use? Also what oil went back in?

DsrtRat08

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Good looking report! I would stay around the 5 to 7 range for your interval. What filter did you use? Also what oil went back in?

Used a mobil 1 filter on the oil they ran the analysis on. This time around I went back to the Mopar filter and stuck with the PP 5W20. I went back to the Mopar filter because to me the truck didn't seem as quiet as it was with the Mopar filter, but could just be my imagination. I will probably run another analysis on the next change in the next 5-7,000 miles and go from there. I need this truck to last a long time and don't doubt I will be making the switch to something different down the line. In the meantime PP and Mopar filter sure cost less than RL and RP filter.

fijicorey

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I would see how the next analysis looks before you consider switching. I just had two great reports from PP 5w20. Granted my engine is well past break in.

The only thing I'll change is going PP 5w30 once my stock of 20 wt is gone

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
The wear doesn't trouble me at all on that report, welcome to owning a hemi, normal. What troubles me a tad is the zinc level matched with the low viscosty. If you have the lifetime warranty thing maybe it doesn't matter, but at some point I'd play with 5w30 PP. That oil thier 5w30 has a viscosity only at 9.8, so it essentially is a 20 weight in the crank case, but will give you a little more protection. Mind you your viscosity is only 8.12 at the end of a run, which means it was higher when you first put it in, pennzoil says that oil starts at cSt 8.6. So PP 5w30 is just a tad thicker, will give you a tad more film strength and nobody can tell the difference.

William Hastings

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If this has been asked already i apologize, i must have missed it. For those who have the maxcare warranty and have to play the 5w20 game for possible issues down the road, do you guys recommend any certain additives to throw in after a fresh change? So far been having dealer do the changes, they say its Pennzoil platinum and they use the mopar filter. Next change im planning on bringing pup and a rp filter. In the meantime id like to add something for piece of mind. My hemi has 5500 on it, and to me it seems a bit noisy

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jems007