Brake lines between master cylinder and ABS unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I'm going to need to replace the two brake lines that run from the master cylinder to the ABS unit sometime very soon. I've ordered the lines, I'm not 100% confident that they have both lines, but that's another story.

Any tips on doing the install/bleed?

Was thinking I'd prime the new lines, then remove a line from the master, plug the hole, then remove it from the ABS unit, then install the new line on the ABS unit side first, then the master. The intent is to introduce the least amount of air as possible. Then just let it sit over night and hope any air bubbles migrate up to the reservoir.

Not looking forward to having to bleed the brakes. I hate brake fluid.

You know, it should be a law that brake lines must be made from stainless steel.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do that, then find a scanner that can do the ABS bleed.

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You'll need a DRBIII or emulator. I think Snap-On has one that works.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So NOT one of the ABS scan/ bleed tools on Amazon... I was just going to ask for a recommendation on which one.

DRBIII... Don't know if I can afford that.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Look at FOXWELL website and see what they say about your model year to see it’s compatible.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
Not seeing it for my year. Durango's and Dakota's but not 05 Ram 2500s.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
email has been sent.

You know, I think every auto/truck I've ever owned has been "odd" in some way like this.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
I interpret the following reply from Foxwell as "buy it and see".

"After confirmation by the engineer, your model is entered by scanning protocol, that is to say, the function can only be confirmed after the scanner is connected to the vehicle.
But according to the engineer, NT710 generally supports the ABS function of your vehicle."

A 250 dollar gamble (-10% with the coupon).....

All of these scanners look like they are running the same core software, just the case and GUI are different.

I'm not going anywhere soon. I guess I could replace the lines first and see if I actually need to do the ABS bleed.

Gotta love holiday weekends!

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Before 2008 most Dodge vehicles did not use CAN bus protocols
I see the earliest reference to use of the Foxwell in this respect to be 2009/2010

Using a DBR emulator may be your only option , most people advise not to bleed the ABS module unless a code is thrown but since you are working on lines directly linked to the module…
it’s probably a safer bet to have one readily available during the procedure.

Last edited:

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Before 2008 most Dodge vehicles did not use CAN bus protocols
I see the earliest reference to use of the Foxwell in this respect to be 2009/2010

Using a DBR emulator may be your only option , most people advise not to bleed the ABS module unless a code is thrown but since you are working on lines directly linked to the module…
it’s probably a safer bet to have one readily available during the procedure.
Before 2006. CAN was introduced in the trucks in 2006. The only CAN prior to 2006 was the new for 2005 LX platform (300 & Magnum that year).

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
Before 2006. CAN was introduced in the trucks in 2006. The only CAN prior to 2006 was the new for 2005 LX platform (300 & Magnum that year).
I remember it being called Controller area network in 2003 I thought “ bus”was added to the designation later

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
The question I have then is, where do I get the correct tool, that provides the correct functionality, what's it called exactly and how much is it?

I'm going to swap out the lines tomorrow morning. The ram is a secondary vehicle and I don't "need" to use it. So if I do need to bleed the ABS unit I have plenty of time. I'm just not going to spend 2500 dollars on a tool I will use most likely only one time.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
The question I have then is, where do I get the correct tool, that provides the correct functionality, what's it called exactly and how much is it?

I'm going to swap out the lines tomorrow morning. The ram is a secondary vehicle and I don't "need" to use it. So if I do need to bleed the ABS unit I have plenty of time. I'm just not going to spend 2500 dollars on a tool I will use most likely only one time.
Call around to some garages that have been in business for a long while, probobly find a tech at one with the right equipment.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9

HemiLonestar

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
I remember it being called Controller area network in 2003 I thought “ bus”was added to the designation later
PCI (Peripheral Component Interconnect) bus through 2005. "Bus" isn't exclusive to CAN.

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
In the mid to late 80’s
“Chassis Control Modules”.

OP
OP
Oliver Closehauf

Oliver Closehauf

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Laramie
Engine
Cummins 5.9
So, does PCI or CAN even matter in this situation? The scanner is OBDII. My expectation is that the Ram's main computer or some other module would either act as a translator, or main modules would be able to communicate via the OBDII protocol directly. The modules may talk to themselves over the PCI bus or CAN bus (like usb devices), but to communicate to the outside world, they use OBDII.
I don't understand what the DRBIII does, unless it provides specific options that were not, and have not been, adopted as standard and just not included in aftermarket scanners.
Anyone know for sure?

Mister Luck

cassis tutissima virtus
Reaction score
Ram Year
2016/2017
Engine
5.7 V8
So, does PCI or CAN even matter in this situation? The scanner is OBDII. My expectation is that the Ram's main computer or some other module would either act as a translator, or main modules would be able to communicate via the OBDII protocol directly. The modules may talk to themselves over the PCI bus or CAN bus (like usb devices), but to communicate to the outside world, they use OBDII.
I don't understand what the DRBIII does, unless it provides specific options that were not, and have not been, adopted as standard and just not included in aftermarket scanners.
Anyone know for sure?
This link addresses the question but offers software solutions.
DRB was proprietary to chrysler and sold to there authorized dealerships it’s is early control module interface that included a controller to link with OBD2 connectors its not just a scan tool but primarily was used for flashing updates to PCM’s

You might be able to use another device but since you’re not a mechanic I would just pay a mechanic/ technician to use their controller to bleed the air out of your ABS module and have the insurance of the garage or shop that your system will not be compromised or face legal obligations in case of any collision and it can be proven you were aware of an issue.

Thats one among many reasons garages and repair shops charge a premium and you get a receipt.

I think if you are capable if replacing the lines yourself it would be half the labor.

Besides if there is something else you missed the garage should alert you,
but generally ABS systems have a fail safe and revert to a non ABS system braking.