Brakes SlipWhen Braking Hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
yesterday iIwas driving and had to stop fairly quick for a light. heard a noise and the truck Braking wasn't really stopping. i pumped the brakes and it slipped again. after that I Imade sure to brake gradually and had no issues. I pulled the left front wheel and the brake pads are about half worn. shouldn't have slipping. the right one looked ok the last time i pulled it a couple weeks ago. also half worn.

could a bad bearing cause a slipping? I've ordered new inner/outer front bearings anyway.

it's a serious issue since if iIneed to brake hard, it has to stop.

dodge dude94

Millennial Boomer
Reaction score
Ram Year
1998 Ram 1500
Engine
5.9 Magnum
Pull your drums and check that.
Sounds to me like you have something broken in the rear brakes and it's shifting causing the noise and stopping power loss.

Rado

US NAVY VETERAN
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Pentastar 3.6 V6
following....... hope you solve it soon !

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
sorry it's definitely in the front brakes

bearings are fairly inexpensive. I'm going to order front & rear bearings. replacing those may uncover some issues. could it be all iIneed is brake pads. these are about half worn or more.

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If the rotors aren,t wobbling then its not bearings. Pull the rear apart and have a look. It could be the abs doing its job.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
abs on a 96? didn't think about that, but, it didn't sound normal to me and it was like there was no stopping ability. i thought I Iwas going thru the light really.
I'll check the rotors to see if I can move them. it took a hard brake though for it to happen.
it felt like if my foot didn't pump the pedal it wouldn't have stopped

jessyj

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Ya the abs on these old trucks isn,t what it supposed to be. When you slam on the brakes its feels like you won,t stop.

OP
OP
rrb6699

rrb6699

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 / 318
Well, it's unsafe in my opinion. How do you disable it? Is it a fuse or another way to disable it. I want hard brakes when I push on the brakes! I don't mind locking up tires if I need to.
i grew up with power & even non-power brakes. (still have a '72 beetle) & I can control the car Braking better without any "help". I'm gonna try pulling the fuse for ABS and give it a test because I think it isn't working properly and is clumsy at best being an old abs system. hopefully, that is all I'm going to need to do.

Last edited: