Broken manifold bolts replaced...again.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This week, I was gifted the opportunity to have both banks of exhaust manifold bolts replaced for the 2nd time. Sitting just under 45K miles and FCA still hasn't decided that there are quality parts available they could use to stop footing the bill, for replacing the bolts over and over.
The dealership did have parts on hand and it took a one and a half day turn around.

Before the Powertrain warranty expires, I'll be returning to have them address the lifter/valve tick on cold engine starts.

Wish me luck!

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello @JimmyO! if you would like additional support throughout the duration of your dealer appointment we encourage you to private message our team if interested. We would love to help address your concerns.

Hannah
Ram Cares

OP
OP
JimmyO

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Thanks Hanna!
I’m now awaiting delivery of a new engine. The dealership diagnosis of the ticking noise determined my 44K engine has “piston slap” and there’s a replacement engine on its way. If I have any problems I’ll be sure to reach out.

Last edited:

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I had a rattled engine from new 2017 Longhorn. Three dealers in Minneapolis area blew me off, no fault found or ‘ normal’
Moved 2018 to Wi and used a little dealership in Ashland. Their Foreman or lead mechanic agreed it was NOT normal. They lent me a loaner so they could check oil pressures etc ( Friday)
Come Monday, I want to know what is wrong. Called dealer ‘ Can I have my truck back?’
‘No, Shaun stripped your engine Saturday (came in to do it as they were busy) and found one of the pistons out of round so we ordered you a new engine!
34,499 mls that was!
what stars they were and are.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
That seems to be the fix they authorize now. Friend of mine just had his done. Just replaced the broken bolts and called it good. Once out of warranty he'll have to pay to get it fixed properly when it leaks again. The stress from the warped manifold is still there so it'll happen again.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
You are lucky. The dealership I use to deal with always wrote the noise off as "normal" and would do anything under warranty

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
I had a rattled engine from new 2017 Longhorn. Three dealers in Minneapolis area blew me off, no fault found or ‘ normal’
Moved 2018 to Wi and used a little dealership in Ashland. Their Foreman or lead mechanic agreed it was NOT normal. They lent me a loaner so they could check oil pressures etc ( Friday)
Come Monday, I want to know what is wrong. Called dealer ‘ Can I have my truck back?’
‘No, Shaun stripped your engine Saturday (came in to do it as they were busy) and found one of the pistons out of round so we ordered you a new engine!
34,499 mls that was!
what stars they were and are.

Great. I'm stuck in the Twin Cities, though haven't had the exhaust tick (yet). What the heck is in your new area in the way of work?! I'm from Wisconsin.

Anyway, a bunch of dealerships have been grouped by big wheeler dealers - one group is the Luther Family, the other are the infamous Pohlad Family ("Carousel Motor Group" - as if a moniker would disguise their ownership).

My dealer used to be independent before Pohlad grabbed them. They've been all downhill from there in service and dealings, despite a massive new palace.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Hemiman, I’m done work, early! Still lots of work if you want swork etc. like rest of country they can’t seem to get anyone to do the less paid unskilled jobs here. Signs everywhere in Ashland, Bayfield, Washburn.
The local Ashland dealer is just fantastic.,Small, independent and approachable.
You say you in Twin Cities. I always had good luck with Dodge of Burnsville and Apple Tam of Shakopee, though NOT for the engine!
As I said earlier, I was told any noise that goes away once engine at operating temp is not covered…….********!

OP
OP
JimmyO

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New engine has arrived, appointment is set for Monday 9 August to drop off the truck. I’m told to expect to have my truck back by Friday.
I’ll be sure to keep providing updates after the repair work is completed, if anything of concern comes up that others should know.

Lifted2wd

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Sounds like a good deal! Man I had the dealership look at the tick/noise a few times and was always told it was normal. Wish I had pushed more

OP
OP
JimmyO

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Picked up the pickup yesterday evening. Running smoothly and it would seem as if they did an excellent job. As an added ‘bonus’, I have a new radiator too. My radiator was poked while removing the engine… so, they tossed in a new one.
slow and steady for a few days, few hundred miles… then I’ll open her up and drive coast to coast to break it in.

Halojumper09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This week, I was gifted the opportunity to have both banks of exhaust manifold bolts replaced for the 2nd time. Sitting just under 45K miles and FCA still hasn't decided that there are quality parts available they could use to stop footing the bill, for replacing the bolts over and over.
The dealership did have parts on hand and it took a one and a half day turn around.

Before the Powertrain warranty expires, I'll be returning to have them address the lifter/valve tick on cold engine starts.

Wish me luck!
The tick at cold starts is normally those manifold leaks. I know that I had 3 broken bolts on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side. 2 of the bolts needed to be drilled out. The design is absolute garbage. I machined mine level after I took them off...my engine has 150k miles on it. When I asked the dealer, they said they just put new bolts and gaskets and don't level the manifolds...which is just dumb.

OP
OP
JimmyO

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
The tick at cold starts is normally those manifold leaks. I know that I had 3 broken bolts on the driver side and 2 on the passenger side. 2 of the bolts needed to be drilled out. The design is absolute garbage. I machined mine level after I took them off...my engine has 150k miles on it. When I asked the dealer, they said they just put new bolts and gaskets and don't level the manifolds...which is just dumb.
In my case, the tick was solved by the dealership, ordering and installing a brand new motor.
Once diagnosed, there was a condition they called ‘piston slap’ and since I’m still under warranty… they replaced my motor on their dime.
Once my 3 year, 100,000 new parts warranty expires, I will fix the manifold issue as you described. Until then, the dealership can foot the bill as many times as they like.

OP
OP
JimmyO

JimmyO

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
New engine has arrived, appointment is set for Monday 9 August to drop off the truck. I’m told to expect to have my truck back by Friday.
I’ll be sure to keep providing updates after the repair work is completed, if anything of concern comes up that others should know.
New engine is performing perfectly. I made the trek across the US, from San Diego CA to Jacksonville FL, towing my 30’ travel trailer, with zero issues.
Put just over 3,000 “break-in” miles on the new motor and rewarded her with an oil and filter change afterwards.
The folks at Pedder Ram (formally Poway Ram), are spectacular… specifically, Mr. Nguyen. If you’re in the area of San Diego and need service, take your vehicle to Pedder Ram in Poway CA, and ask for Mr. Nguyen. No BS, just quality help we deserve.