Burning smell concern, trans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Just bought my 1st 2500. It's a 2018 2500 6.4l hemi 19k. I have concern with the burning smell going up the hill to my house. The hill is maybe 1 mile. I kept my eye on the trans temp gauge and its reading between 165 to 173. I checked the trans fluid, it doesnt smell burnt or anything. Should I be concerned?

McBroom

U.S.Marine Veteran Retired 88-2000
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4L
Just bought my 1st 2500. It's a 2018 2500 6.4l hemi 19k. I have concern with the burning smell going up the hill to my house. The hill is maybe 1 mile. I kept my eye on the trans temp gauge and its reading between 165 to 173. I checked the trans fluid, it doesnt smell burnt or anything. Should I be concerned?

Yes I think I would be concerned. Did the dipstick level read low

The Blue Mule

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
My transmission runs at 168-170; totally normal.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I haven’t done one, but Everyone loves it. I don’t want to void my warranty. Guys are seeing 40 degrees F drop in temps.

Well, I do notice on my same hill to my house. You can only do maybe 25 to 30 mph. It lugs my.engine down to 1100 rpm or it wont down shift. What is this?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
Well, I do notice on my same hill to my house. You can only do maybe 25 to 30 mph. It lugs my.engine down to 1100 rpm or it wont down shift. What is this?
Hmmmm that sounds odd, try putting it in manual mode. That way you can manually shift it into a lower gear. I use manual mode 24/7 every day.
I would also get it to the dealership and have them look at it.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
165 to 175 is not hot for the 66/68RFE. I am not sure about the burning smell. Could be multiple things from oil blow by to spilled oil/fluid from a recent oil change.

As far as it not shifting. The previous oneer might have driven it like a grandpa. These transmissions are adaptive transmissions and they shift according to how they are driven in the past 100 or so miles. The more aggressive you drive, the later the shifts with more firm shifting and so on. If you have a way to make the trans go into relearn mode to learn your driving then it might adapt to your driving sooner. I would take it easy for the first 30 miles after a relearn and try to go through all the gears as much as possible. That should be enough time for the valve body to know how mutch fluid to add to each clutch pack.

OP
OP
Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
165 to 175 is not hot for the 66/68RFE. I am not sure about the burning smell. Could be multiple things from oil blow by to spilled oil/fluid from a recent oil change.

As far as it not shifting. The previous oneer might have driven it like a grandpa. These transmissions are adaptive transmissions and they shift according to how they are driven in the past 100 or so miles. The more aggressive you drive, the later the shifts with more firm shifting and so on. If you have a way to make the trans go into relearn mode to learn your driving then it might adapt to your driving sooner. I would take it easy for the first 30 miles after a relearn and try to go through all the gears as much as possible. That should be enough time for the valve body to know how mutch fluid to add to each clutch pack.

I've heard about the trans relearn. Is there anyway I can reset it and drive the way I normally do?

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I've heard about the trans relearn. Is there anyway I can reset it and drive the way I normally do?
Re-learns are done at the dealership, I’d take it in and let them look at it. That way it’s documented and they can do the relearn at the same time.

stoney

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 | 2500 SLT CC
Engine
6.4L w/ 4:10

X2....hook up a trailer to the truck and tow it.
My truck always runs and shifts the best after towing.
Otherwise, just beat on it for a bit.....or visit a dealer for flash/updates, then don't drive like a nanny!

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I've had the same thing in various vehicles and found it to be the rear end smelling hot after being loaded (going up hill). Next time it smells get down close to the differential and see if it is more noticeable. I don't know that it means there is anything wrong with it. Also, I've never really known why it smells more some days than others but am pretty sure that is what I am smelling.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD

Certain devices like my Edge Insight or Snap-on diagnostic scanners can force the trans to relearn. If I am not mistaken, AlfaOBD can as well. The transmission also goes into relearn mode every time you flash a new map/tune to the ECM. If you don't have any of these then you will have to get the dealer to do it.

You kind of want to take it easy going through the gears for the first 30 miles after a relearn. When you reset the trans perimeters, it resets the trans fluid values it uses to keep the clutch packs together. Too much fluid and it will bleed out, and too little will not hold the clutch packs together making them slip. The trans is adjusting this value every shift until it dials it is for the first 30 miles. This is not the same as relearning shift points.