Help Support Ram Forum by donating:

Burning smell concern, trans?

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty' started by Rwgarrison23, Aug 17, 2019.

1. Rwgarrison23

Rwgarrison23 Senior Member

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    So, I checked the trans fuild again on a level ground, it showing cold level when it been running for about an hour. Why is this?

2. HammerHead

HammerHead USMC 0313

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I think you might be low on fluid, I just went and looked at mine to be sure and the Cold setting on the dip stick is way low. You could be 2 maybe 3 quarts low. Be sure the transmission is at 168+ degrees Fahrenheit when checking the fluid. If it is start by adding 1 quart and then drive to work and back, then check again. Repeat this process until it’s reading right. Just go slow and add small amounts once you start getting close to full; Never over fill a transmission.
    If your driveway is steep this could be the problem because the already low fluid sloshes to the back of the pan. Away from the pickup! Just be sure your at Full operating temperature when you check the fluid level.

3. HammerHead

HammerHead USMC 0313

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    And I would take some videos and document the low fluid for the dealership, and be sure it gets documented that it was sold to you with low fluid.
    If it does turn out to be simply low on fluid I’d consider having the fluid changed. You can have the dealership do it or I can post a simple transfusion procedure. But to be honest if it’s low I’d make the dealership do it.

4. Rwgarrison23

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have a appointment sept the 5th. Should I carefully drive until then or should i grab qt or two tomorrow? Ram dealer is not even a mile from my work but that not where i bought my truck but part wise, i can grab anything there.

5. HammerHead

HammerHead USMC 0313

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    If it were my truck I’d put fluid in it. I’d document the entire process for warranty related issues in the future. And I’d demand they change the fluid on the 5th.
    When you were smelling the burning smell what was the transmission temperature?

6. Rwgarrison23

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    The trans temp was around maybe 160 to 175. I just checked it again as it been sitting for a hour. It reads hot. But truck not running.

7. HammerHead

HammerHead USMC 0313

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    You need to check the the fluid with the truck running in Neutral, at operating temperature and on level ground. That will give you a good reading.

8. Rwgarrison23

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    Shoot, I forgot all about the neutral. I checked it in park. Ill check it again tomorrow when I drive it to work. I was spoiled with the 8 speed trans in my 17 1500. Lol

HammerHead likes this.
  9. Rwgarrison23

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    So, I checked it as soon as I arrived to work on a level ground in neutral, its showing me a little bit below the hot dotted line. I'm going to grab one quart from ram dealer just for piece of mind and fill her up some.

HammerHead likes this.
  10. Rwgarrison23

Ram Year:
    Engine:
    I have a video made to show what it's doing going up the hill. Its lugs bad. I'm starting to think its computer related. This site wont let me upload the video. At least I'll have it to show the dealer when I go in.