Cam and lifters replaced

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wllsmith82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Had cam and lifters replaced on 2012 5.7 hemi because of lifter failure , got truck back it was noisy as hell and all I hear is lifter tap and it almost sounds like a Cummins , shop said it’s aftermarket cam so it is better built , supposedly harder metals and whatever , but it sounded almost worse than when I took it there in first place , could there be something they missed or didn’t tighten ? I heard cam bearing get messed up a lot when removing old one or rocker arm bores out a little over time and that could be it , anyone experience something like this? Any solution ?

TotallyHucked

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Sport CCLWB
Engine
If it's louder or as loud as when it went in, there's something not right. The only thing you should hear if it were done properly is the tick of the injectors. My dad's '14 has a cam/lifter going and it sounds like when you rap a wedding band on a desk or table, sounds awful. If yours is anything like that, I'd take it back and demand it be remedied. That's not normal.

OP
OP
W

Wllsmith82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah it’s already back at the shop and it’s been there another week and they have t figured out what it is yet they thought it could be pushrods but they are measuring where they should . I guess there scoping the rocker arms tomorrow ? Lol

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Weird my cammed HEMI sounds smooth as silk. but I did the work myself since trusting anyone to build a HEMI properly is a crapshoot.

Any shop that says its normal are full of **** or just bad mechanics that shouldn't wrench in the first place.

OP
OP
W

Wllsmith82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Funny thing is there supposed to be the best performance shop around me so I’m. It sure why all the issues

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Had cam and lifters replaced on 2012 5.7 hemi because of lifter failure , got truck back it was noisy as hell and all I hear is lifter tap and it almost sounds like a Cummins , shop said it’s aftermarket cam so it is better built , supposedly harder metals and whatever , but it sounded almost worse than when I took it there in first place , could there be something they missed or didn’t tighten ? I heard cam bearing get messed up a lot when removing old one or rocker arm bores out a little over time and that could be it , anyone experience something like this? Any solution ?
It happens more often then you know, we have had ram members replace lifters cams just because they had hemi tick and were informed that changing lifters/cam doesnt mean it will correct hemi tick, and they did it anyway, so it is tossing away 10k bucks for zip, zelch nada even after being warned. I think the last case the guy tossed away 7l bucks. I ope that wasnt you, I hope that there was a reason above hemi tick for the cam change. Any shop worth it's reputation should inform people hemi tick has nothing to do with the moving parts, because in 90% of cases it has nothing to do with it.

this thread - You want about 80% chance at killing that tick? Just use the right oil and filter combo,

Look at poll results, run redline 5w30 and rp 20-820 and let science handle the rest.

Just in the test 60 rams killed their tick, 27 rams it made it much better, and only 14 rams saw no difference, and since the votes are public you can see some of those 14 votes arent legit, just people with an ax to grind. Let the results of ram forum speak for themselves, that is the value here, it was the forum who took the effort to bring an answer for this scourge of the some hemis.

Now, with new can installation there seams to be two main causes of hemi tick, or continuing hemi tick. One is the design of the engine, and in those cases using the right lubrication strategy has proven to be the best fix. The other group is engines that the push rods were not installed correctly. In that case, the hemi tick gets worse and worse, and nothing will help except cracking engine open and replacing rods.

OP
OP
W

Wllsmith82

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
It happens more often then you know, we have had ram members replace lifters cams just because they had hemi tick and were informed that changing lifters/cam doesnt mean it will correct hemi tick, and they did it anyway, so it is tossing away 10k bucks for zip, zelch nada even after being warned. I think the last case the guy tossed away 7l bucks. I ope that wasnt you, I hope that there was a reason above hemi tick for the cam change. Any shop worth it's reputation should inform people hemi tick has nothing to do with the moving parts, because in 90% of cases it has nothing to do with it.

this thread - You want about 80% chance at killing that tick? Just use the right oil and filter combo,

Look at poll results, run redline 5w30 and rp 20-820 and let science handle the rest.

Just in the test 60 rams killed their tick, 27 rams it made it much better, and only 14 rams saw no difference, and since the votes are public you can see some of those 14 votes arent legit, just people with an ax to grind. Let the results of ram forum speak for themselves, that is the value here, it was the forum who took the effort to bring an answer for this scourge of the some hemis.

Now, with new can installation there seams to be two main causes of hemi tick, or continuing hemi tick. One is the design of the engine, and in those cases using the right lubrication strategy has proven to be the best fix. The other group is engines that the push rods were not installed correctly. In that case, the hemi tick gets worse and worse, and nothing will help except cracking engine open and replacing rods.
No 4300 for me and cam was eaten up so I had to have them changed quiet engine before the failure

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Had cam and lifters replaced on 2012 5.7 hemi because of lifter failure , got truck back it was noisy as hell and all I hear is lifter tap and it almost sounds like a Cummins , shop said it’s aftermarket cam so it is better built , supposedly harder metals and whatever , but it sounded almost worse than when I took it there in first place , could there be something they missed or didn’t tighten ? I heard cam bearing get messed up a lot when removing old one or rocker arm bores out a little over time and that could be it , anyone experience something like this? Any solut

Last edited:

MoparDriver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
If it's louder or as loud as when it went in, there's something not right. The only thing you should hear if it were done properly is the tick of the injectors. My dad's '14 has a cam/lifter going and it sounds like when you rap a wedding band on a desk or table, sounds awful. If yours is anything like that, I'd take it back and demand it be remedied. That's not normal.
Agreed, @ 210,000 miles I too had this issue on my 2012 5.7, had a neighbor who upgraded his when he bought it new and had the OEM equipment on the shelf pickled in oil. Had a local shop do the install, the engine is smooth and quiet, only noises is the blowing fan. It is now better than it was at 80,000 miles when I purchased it.