Cam/Lifter failures in relation to oil level

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You might have to pull the valve covers and check the push rods. It’s very easy to put one in the wrong hole or to not have it in completely causing it to bend on the first start.

buddy guy

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
back to the original post, its funny cause this has been on my mind in the past week, regarding all the variables that might be involved in the cam/lifter issues. i swear mine has startup chatter for a few seconds when cold. if i could park it in a garage for startup i think i could be more certain as thats where i first heard it about a month ago and it startled me. i check my oil level frequently so it is full. tomorrow when i have it at the dealer i'm going to have them see if they can hear any noises. i checked my oil last night to make sure there wasn't any excuse that way. the oil only has 3300km (2000 miles) on it and it's amber and transparent still. (truck only has 6800km on it. i'm not hugely concerned, but as i'm taking it in anyway for a cruise control button issue, i want to get it on record that it was brought up and looked at.

To @Wild one 's point that oil level is not mentioned, i would add that i haven't seen anyone say they actually talked to a service advisor or service manager for the trucks that have the manual wording update to say 5w-20 oil is RECOMMENDED rather than MUST, to see if its ok in their opinion to run 5-30 from a warranty standpoint. And I would like to know what the answer is by the time I pick up the truck, thank you very much:)

Deadpool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
i can't say on cars, but anytime I've had a cam/lifters changed in a motorbike, i've also planned on a tune soon after if not immediately, as well. my understanding is the computers in 4 wheel vehicles is far more sophisticated than most motorbikes and can compensate for timing, etc. but you still might need a tune after the change. now, having said that, for some reason my brain is thinking a vacuum problem?

I have checked for vacuum leak didn’t find one and it has all 16 new ngk nickel plugs. And it has VVT timing and I think my issue lies there but I’m not sure

Deadpool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I used that exact forum for the whole project I’m just not sure what is going on and this is my first time with a tuner I’m just not sure I’m reading it right but the oil pressure not showing up has me worried
I would take tach_techs advice and check all push rods.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I used that exact forum for the whole project I’m just not sure what is going on and this is my first time with a tuner I’m just not sure I’m reading it right but the oil pressure not showing up has me worried

On my old 13 it never picked up oil pressure when I had a Trinity on it.If the trucks gauge is working,i wouldn't worry about it

Deadpool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
On my old 13 it never picked up oil pressure when I had a Trinity on it.If the trucks gauge is working,i wouldn't worry about it

I’m about to pull the covers off and look at the rods do you know what the difference between the rod oil and the oil gallery looks like?

Deadpool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
I would take tach_techs advice and check all push rods.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I’m about to pull the covers off and look at the rods do you know what the difference between the rod oil and the oil gallery looks like?

Deadpool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
You might have to pull the valve covers and check the push rods. It’s very easy to put one in the wrong hole or to not have it in completely causing it to bend on the first start.
How do I know which is wrong hole or if there bent?

Deadpool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
Update!

Found one intake pushrod in wrong hole and when I took it out it was bent dose anyone think this may be why my truck won’t idle and just bogs out?

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Update!

Found one intake pushrod in wrong hole and when I took it out it was bent dose anyone think this may be why my truck won’t idle and just bogs out?

That intake valve potentially wouldnt open, close or just work well in general, so yeah it could make a difference.

Did it get swapped for an exhaust pushrod? If so, you would have to find the one that belongs there too.

Luckily pushrods are cheap, IIRC.

Deadpool89

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7l hemi
That intake valve potentially wouldnt open, close or just work well in general, so yeah it could make a difference.

Did it get swapped for an exhaust pushrod? If so, you would have to find the one that belongs there too.

Luckily pushrods are cheap, IIRC.

It was the proper intake pushrod I’m going to replace it tomorrow fingers crossed this fixes everything