Cam/lifter tick

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthew Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My trucks cam had a wiped cam lobe, so I decided to bite the bullet and do a new cam, lifters and mds delete.
I installed a new non mds cam, hellcat lifters, hellcat oil pump and while I had the heads off new short headers. Once everything was together I had a push rod out of place on the passenger side I fixed it. But I am still getting a tick on the driver side. It’s loud at first and quiets down but i constantly hear a little tick at 2k rpm and when under a slight load(not when flooring)
I took the timing cover off and nothing was out of place I loosened the rock bolts and retorqued them. I keep finding conflicting stuff online to fix(like wait 2000 miles to see if it quiets down. The passenger side is quiet as can be.

OP
OP
Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When everything was off I double and tripled checking it was good

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I'd be cutting open oil filters and checking oil pan for metal. There is some discussion whether mds delete lubricates lifters properly. If it is a poor lubrication environment but it is getting some lubrication, that is when you can see redline 5w30 working. See threads in my sig, near 80% rate at killing hemi tick. To give it best chance try it with royal purple 20-820 filter.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
My trucks cam had a wiped cam lobe, so I decided to bite the bullet and do a new cam, lifters and mds delete.
I installed a new non mds cam, hellcat lifters, hellcat oil pump and while I had the heads off new short headers. Once everything was together I had a push rod out of place on the passenger side I fixed it. But I am still getting a tick on the driver side. It’s loud at first and quiets down but i constantly hear a little tick at 2k rpm and when under a slight load(not when flooring)
I took the timing cover off and nothing was out of place I loosened the rock bolts and retorqued them. I keep finding conflicting stuff online to fix(like wait 2000 miles to see if it quiets down. The passenger side is quiet as can be.
Who's lifters did you use.These days it can be a crap shoot on whether you get a good set of lifters

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Also lifters can take a good 2k miles and a oil change to quiet up. Post a vid of it running my 2014 with new engine tech lifters is still ticking to loud tho i got burnt on this set of lifters have to yank them when i have time and have it replaced under warranty il never buy this brand again been burnt to many times.

OP
OP
Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'd be cutting open oil filters and checking oil pan for metal. There is some discussion whether mds delete lubricates lifters properly. If it is a poor lubrication environment but it is getting some lubrication, that is when you can see redline 5w30 working. See threads in my sig, near 80% rate at killing hemi tick. To give it best chance try it with royal purple 20-820 filter
Would it only do it on one side though and I’m going to switch oils

OP
OP
Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Also lifters can take a good 2k miles and an oil change to quiet up. Post a vid of it running my 2014 with new engine tech lifters is still ticking to loud tho i got burnt on this set of lifters have to yank them when i have time and have it replaced under warranty il never buy this brand again been burnt to many times.
What brand were they

Dusty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
When you had the heads off did you check for bent or worn push rods, cracked or worn rocker arms, worn rocker arm shaft, broken valve springs or valve installed height?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 94408 miles.

OP
OP
Matthew Smith

Matthew Smith

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
When you had the heads off did you check for bent or worn push rods, cracked or worn rocker arms, worn rocker arm shaft, broken valve springs or valve installed height?

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33-gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build Date: 3 June 2018. Now at 94408 miles.
The push rods were all good and I believe the rocker/rocker arms were good they didn’t seem out of shape and valves and springs were good