Cam phaser rattle?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L8 N8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Hello All,

I just did a cam and lifter replacement…. With current lingering regrets…. Motor will fire but runs like crap and is throwing the P0300 code. Multi misfires…

I’ve checked a lot of the easy stuff, even changed the Cam sensor and some of the hard… pulled the timing cover back off and checked the timing… don’t think it was out. Am still sure it’s not out.

2 things:

1. Should I take it to a mech who has the tech to RELEARN the cam and crank?

2. I think my Cam phaser is pooched. I have a vid that you can hear the intermittent rattle of something. Sounds like it’s up front and I do believe it is the cam phaser.

Can anyone make an educated guess to confirm 2. for me if they have heard this rattle before?

I also did an MDS delete fwiw.

I will follow up with the vid shortly if I can’t figure out how to attach it right away.

2014RAM1500owner

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure you got each of the pushrods back into their cups on the rocker arms? A very common mistake that will give symptoms similar to what you are describing.

jws123

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Are you sure you got each of the pushrods back into their cups on the rocker arms? A very common mistake that will give symptoms similar to what you are describing.
This x2 probably a intake pushrod its so easy to not get one in all the way. I do it all the time very common hell one time i took a truck apart 2 times and never saw the 1 pushrod Lol.

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Did you use a cam degree tool to check install ?
Is your startup tune from your tuner installed ?
Did you drop the oil pan ?

OP
OP
L

L8 N8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi

This x2 probably a intake pushrod its so easy to not get one in all the way. I do it all the time very common hell one time i took a truck apart 2 times and never saw the 1 pushrod Lol.
I’m pretty darn certain. It seems I may be pulling the covers and double checking today before I move to the phaser swap but I have the feeling by the rattle that I’ll be doing the phaser regardless.

Thanks for the feedback

OP
OP
L

L8 N8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Did you use a cam degree tool to check install ?
Is your startup tune from your tuner installed ?
Did you drop the oil pan ?
I did not.

Currently no. There is no start up tune from what I can tell. My only plan is to MDS delete not “tune” but I assume at idle this should not matter.

I did not drop the oil pan. With a snake camera I was able to confirm timing mark on crankshaft. Even double checked this twice.

This is the kit I purchased.

Not looking for performance upgrades. Just get the thing back on the trails for hunting.

DubStak

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I did not.

Currently no. There is no start up tune from what I can tell. My only plan is to MDS delete not “tune” but I assume at idle this should not matter.

I did not drop the oil pan. With a snake camera I was able to confirm timing mark on crankshaft. Even double checked this twice.

This is the kit I purchased.

Not looking for performance upgrades. Just get the thing back on the trails for hunting.
I was looking at that kit myself for a possible future purchase. It seem to me that your cam phazer may be faulty. U can test it by driving in tow mode, keeping the truck in 5th gear. If the noise go away, the phazer not working right. I'm also not sure if you need the phazer lockout upgrade kit with that cam.

OP
OP
L

L8 N8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Problem resolved as of yesterday. I did replace the cam phaser BUT… it wants the fix to my major problems and may have only become a problem due to a blunder on my part.

Next post will explain it…

OP
OP
L

L8 N8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Well, you guys were right. Every thing looked good short of getting back to cylinder #8 with a scope.

I neglected to do a compression test as I didn’t have a tester and was tired of spending money on tools and and frankly was being a chump. So I bought a compression tester and finally did my compression test. Zero PSI on #8. Good everywhere else…

Ok. I obviously goofed something up.

Pulled valve cover had my wife cycle the motor(fuel pump fuse removed) (this was a completely solo project up until that point).

Exhaust valve not moving on #8. Removed the rocker arm got back there with my little camera snake….

How embarrassing. Exhaust push rod is sitting in the oil gallery above(orange) the rod alleyway(green) ….
826F22E7-1982-4134-B9F2-23E3B438DC58.jpeg
Put it all back together and truck is idling better then new!!!! Success!!! ALL misfires resolved due to one cylinder.

I was looking at that kit myself for a possible future purchase. It seem to me that your cam phazer may be faulty. U can test it by driving in tow mode, keeping the truck in 5th gear. If the noise go away, the phazer not working right. I'm also not sure if you need the phazer lockout upgrade kit with that cam.

Excess monies spend on:
-Compression tester $50
-Cam sensor $40
-Crank sensor $100
-Cam phaser $525
-Additional synthetic oil change due to having the timing cover off a total of 3 times. $75

Excess hours spent….. this makes me wanna cry….probably, easily 50-60 hrs

Ultimately, cam lifter swap done and that part of it wasn’t all that bad.

The MDS delete also seems successful with the tuner provided with the kit.

Currently feeling the kit was a solid investment.

Me being a novice and unmotivated mechanic was the biggest obstacle counter acting the the hood to come by purchasing this kit.

I’ve gained much knowledge thru this. Ultimately, I didn’t really want to at this point of my life but now that I’m armed with it I feel I should probably use it again and I think that is the worst part of all. I’d rather invest my time on other areas of my existence at this stage of my life, but that said, any engine mechanical endeavours should go quicker next time… if there is a next time.

Cheers

CunningStunt

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi 4X4 Crew White/Chrome
Hello All,

I just did a cam and lifter replacement…. With current lingering regrets…. Motor will fire but runs like crap and is throwing the P0300 code. Multi misfires…

I’ve checked a lot of the easy stuff, even changed the Cam sensor and some of the hard… pulled the timing cover back off and checked the timing… don’t think it was out. Am still sure it’s not out.

2 things:

1. Should I take it to a mech who has the tech to RELEARN the cam and crank?

2. I think my Cam phaser is pooched. I have a vid that you can hear the intermittent rattle of something. Sounds like it’s up front and I do believe it is the cam phaser.

Can anyone make an educated guess to confirm 2. for me if they have heard this rattle before?

I also did an MDS delete fwiw.

I will follow up with the vid shortly if I can’t figure out how to attach it right away.

That rattling sound, sounds and LOOKS like the idler pully making noise due to the misfire stutter. Mine did this when I started and still had a misfire. Watch the idler in your video and you can phase it with the odd rattling noise.

My bet is a pushrod out of place.

OP
OP
L

L8 N8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
That rattling sound, sounds and LOOKS like the idler pully making noise due to the misfire stutter. Mine did this when I started and still had a misfire. Watch the idler in your video and you can phase it with the odd rattling noise.

My bet is a pushrod out of place.
Read on brother. You aren’t wrong. Thanks for the tip on the idler pulley. I’ll look at that for sure. Truck running great now but still has a minor rattle.