Can I do my ball joints without a press?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2ndgenproject

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.2 magnum
Hey all. 98 ram 1500 4x4 here. I am currently very broke. But also in desperate need for some new ball joints and wheel bearings.

So I got the extra money together to buy 2 new wheel hub assemblies and upper/Lower ball joints. But I'm too broke to rent the press at the moment. I probably won't have the money for 3-4 weeks. And I feel like my ball joints just keep getting worse. Can I attempt to replace them without a press? I've got a 3lb mini sledge, and I've got a C clamp if that would help?

I'm thinking if I were to do this I would soak the ball joints in penetrating oil for a day or two before tackling it.

Treburkulosis

Your High End Detailer
TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Lonestar Edition converted over to a Sport
Engine
5.7 Hemi
most auto parts stores will have a tool lender where you give a deposit that is refunded at return of tool
This, you just pay like 30-40 bucks and then its refunded when you turn it in.

Dan98

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
You pay the new price just incase you dont return it they give it back when u do. And you dont need a press fo a 98 1500 at least I didn't

Sent from my SM-J260A using Tapatalk

MAC830203

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Magnum 408
The guys got it right. Tool loner from parts store. It’s not getting them out. It’s getting them in and lasting. Good luck.

Dodge 1500 4X4

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Make sure after pressing them in, you torque the ball joints and tie rod ends to proper torque specs.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I did it once without the tool. Took days instead of hours as well as heat and a lot of curse words, but that was a 3500. The 1500s are probably easier, but don't quote me on that. I've never even heard of a tool lending program here in Canada, but if it's available I'd look into it before you get stuck with a truck half disassembled without a ride to work. I know from past experience if I was in your situation I'd attempt it without if need be out of necessity. Remember you will need an alignment after as well.

W5RCD

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I just did the ball joints on mine yesterday. I purchased a kit off Ebay for less than $45. It worked really well and was well made. I know I could have rented it at the local store, but I wanted a set fo my own that I wouldn;t have to worry about getting back to the store quickly. Did both the uppers in less than two hrs. I sknow this thread started a while ago, but just wanted to through in what I did on my 1991 3500.

67440dodge

Military
Reaction score
I did it once without the tool. Took days instead of hours as well as heat and a lot of curse words, but that was a 3500. The 1500s are probably easier, but don't quote me on that. I've never even heard of a tool lending program here in Canada, but if it's available I'd look into it before you get stuck with a truck half disassembled without a ride to work. I know from past experience if I was in your situation I'd attempt it without if need be out of necessity. Remember you will need an alignment after as well.
Canadian Tire does it, and prob the other chain stores may as well

tool loan

Reactions: BWL