Catastrophic Engine Failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
I had a 96 Chevy DC diesel lock up was still under warranty for a few months got the engine replaced no cost however the warranty expired in that 2 month time frame even on the new engine. I traded for a 98 12 valve dodge which I kept 14 years and wish I still had it.
Yeah the price on those 12 valves have been going up for a long time, very desirable.

Tom Powers

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 ecodiesel
The maxcare lifetime becomes void once the cost of fix is more than the book value of the truck.

Fca will cut you a check for the book value of the truck and the warranty will be no longer. It's in the contract, it's not anyone weaseling out of coverage.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
That's kind of bull shouldn't be called lifetime warranty false advertising.

Yes and no. If I have a truck worth 2K that needs 6K of fixes and DIDNT have a warranty, would I fix it? Hell no.

And TBH I dont really care about that part of the contract because trucks hold their value so long, it would take a long time to come up with a bunch of fixes that total more than its worth. Its not a cumulative number, its just the cost of the "last" fix.

Some people seem to wait until a few things need fixing, have them listed all at once on a work order and bam the cost of the fix is more than the value of the truck.

But if they did one at a time, separately, each single fix would have been no where near the value of the truck and WOULD have been covered under the warranty.

RAM08110719

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
4.7 L V8 E85
It sounds like getting complete satisfaction out of the dealer/Chrysler is like beating a dead horse into the ground. Customer satisfaction goes a long way for A brands customer loyalty and and repeat sales. I’m sure that most if not all car companies have similar horror stories but it would be wise for any company to go the extra mile. I have a 2014 Ram and have had great performance with 70k miles. But by chance talking to prospective truck buying customers I’ve found that there is distrust concerning product reliability with Ram. Like I said I haven’t found this to be true. It’s human nature to dwell on negative experiences that overshadow positive experiences. Again, this imo Product brands need to go over and beyond to please disgruntled consumers.

I agree with a great brand having a good backing with long lasting parts. The parts being easy or inexpensive to get fixed when you take it somewhere. The last place I would take my truck is the dealer. I only did this when I sold cars and trucks. I got a huge discount off parts and work as an employee. What that told me is they gave other people the shaft big time. So unless it's a recall or a warranty issue. I wouldn't go to the dealer. With recalls. I have found some repair shops in the past that got dealer authorized to do recalls. I would ask at a local mechanic for most if not all things. What the dealer does after the fact for repair doesn't make me brand loyal. This being my first ram or even dodge product. For me it is. Down to how things work. How I can fix. How my local repair shop can fix it and the price they charge. I live in farm country. So trucks are what is on the road. All trucks get lots of driven miles. Stop and go they don't get. All miles are driven at highway speed. Stops are few and far between when you have crops for miles. My ram is serving me well. Even with that small 4.7 engine carrying a crew cab. Something from past knowledge goes against. These engines produce lots of power even at the small size. That blows my mind away. My inexpensive test meter pulls codes. I had a rough idle. I forgot what it was. A tank of E85 made it go away. Might of been dirty since it is an 08. Don't know if previous owner ever used it. I did for several tanks when I got it. Makes a huge difference. Not in cold weather. Don't need water in my tank. Happy riding all.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
In general. Extended warranties are not a good buy. Most people will throw that into their loans because they cannot afford to pay for it up front. Thus, you will pay even more than the stick price of said warranty. The majority of extended warranty purchasers come out on the losing end, dollar wise. They have to, otherwise the warranty company would lose money, and thus end giving them. That's just a mathematical fact. Sometimes you win buying them, and sure, it feels good when that happens, but odds are against that happening. And, when you do need it, you may find yourself arguing with them when you have a failure, as to what's covered or not. Some of the wording is so vague, and it almost leaves it up to their discretion as to whether they will cover it or not. So, statistically, they are not a good purchase.
Very good point, problem is the people that do no not buy warrenties usally can not afford not to have them. People don't buy fire insurance , than want everyone else to pay for all their crap , because they have no stuff and no money .
I use to buy glass insurance when I farmed as a lot of gravel roads, and the insurance was 120.oo, with a 25.oo deductible. Not a big deal in the old days, but with rain sensors , it is now.
My 2009 Laramie I bought in 2010 had a ext. warranty and service plan included. Hell of a price, Up to that time I usually did all my own oil, and service, but what the hell, it is paid for now.
Never needed the ext. warranty.
Loved that truck, I don't think it ever needed any work done on it. a stupid Chev car driver, drove his car under it at 100km
I do like the 8 speed in my 14, way better milage.
O.K. Rant over. Still wondering why his motor sized?????????????????????????

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Again....they followed the competition. They lowered the powertrain mileage warranty when GM (or Ford) did the same.

No sense warrantying longer than you have to....I dont think it was a lack of faith in the age old Hemi design, I think it was a cost cutting thing.
These hemis have nothing in common with the age old hemi. Except shape of the c/c

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
These hemis have nothing in common with the age old hemi. Except shape of the c/c

I wasnt referring to the 60s design :)

I think the last major change to the 5.7 design was in 2009, which makes the current one 11 years old.

Sherman Bird

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although FCA is well within their rights about NOT helping you..... this is my stance: You paid as much for that truck new as I did for my first house. These manufacturers all make a killing! (look at their mansions). They SHOULD fix it for you for CSI good will, so you'll feel all schmoozy about them and buy another new RAM. ;)

Haas

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Although FCA is well within their rights about NOT helping you..... this is my stance: You paid as much for that truck new as I did for my first house. These manufacturers all make a killing! (look at their mansions). They SHOULD fix it for you for CSI good will, so you'll feel all schmoozy about them and buy another new RAM. ;)

After thinking about it, I agree with this. That fact that Chrysler is willing to split the cost with you is actually pretty fair of them. Just my opinion.

chrisbh17

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
After thinking about it, I agree with this. That fact that Chrysler is willing to split the cost with you is actually pretty fair of them. Just my opinion.

We still dont know what went wrong.....I agree its generous of them to cover half *if* it was really a manufacturing defect.

I dont like to wear tinfoil hats, but something tells me the dealer somehow affected this engine during the last oil change. Granted it was 1K miles later that there was an issue, but aside from cam/lifter failures, you dont really ever hear about the 5.7 engines failing "catastrophically". Even the cam/lifter issue gives SOME warning, not just locking up completely.

Octane

Reaction score
Lee Iacocca said when he and the government saved Chrysler in the eighties in tv commercials that if you can find a better built american car that you should buy it.He would slam the japanese cars and others and then build american cars with those same egines and transmissions.

Octane

Reaction score
I've never understood the wonky ways of Chrysler corp.There was a time many decades ago that they had cutting edge technology and soundly engineered cars,but I see a very big question mark pertaining to the engineering of not only them but all of the over computerized and even the mechanicals of modern vehicles from every carmaker.Got to stop now and go install another China part on a vehicle.lol

michaelm_ski

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 liter
Nothing last forever and I found it out when the very first Brand spanking new car I bought from Chrysler went south and they said the parts weren't covered under the ( warranty ) , After that I only buy used and that way I know I have to either do the repairs myself and or buy lifetime parts and I feel I am ahead this way .

Ribtipram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wasnt referring to the 60s design :)

I think the last major change to the 5.7 design was in 2009, which makes the current one 11 years old.
Speaking of the old hemi's. Anyone here ever see a dart with run a gate on the rear fenders. I grew up in romeoville il and lived across the street from that car. It was in mag's and stuff. Holy mother those hemis were f'n crazy. Twin dom's and a Magnito. Thats crazy power. I think it was a 512 or something.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry to see your ride S#!% an engine at that mileage, but sometimes it happens. Just wonder if they are going to just jerk it and replace it, or fix it. Most shops today are only trained to replace components, not fix anything. You said they tried to turn it over at the crank, but did they check to see if it was hydro-locked yet. Bust an injector and fill the cylinder with fuel, if that is possible. Just wondering what they will find if they dig into it a little.

MT Hillbilly

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Do any of you people ever buy an extended warranty?

I bought it when I bought my 2010 used, after a couple months I discovered a strut leaking oil from a pin hole. I took it to mechanic, and found they would only replace the one that was blown. I figure not a good idea to have on 8 year old, and one new. Could cause handling issues. So I called canceled my extended warranty. Took the money they refunded me and in went a four inch lift. Which ended up lifting the front end 7 inches... I am guessing both struts were shot.

The only engine I have had expire with no noise was a grand prix, that had an idiot light instead of an oil pressure gauge. I started loosing power, so pulled over, my oil coolant line had broken and dumped my oil on the ground while I was going sixty down the road. No smoke no warning, (due to faulty light) and it wouldn't even crank once I had stopped.

Marshall

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 sport
Engine
5.7 hemi
I am not sure what a "run a gate" is, are you thing of those hi wings, super birds? Nacar did not like them, they where a poor seller, but that BB hemi, that was a beast
Mind you had a Duster with a 340 that was in the 500hp rating, car would not stand up to it.
Speaking of the old hemi's. Anyone here ever see a dart with run a gate on the rear fenders. I grew up in romeoville il and lived across the street from that car. It was in mag's and stuff. Holy mother those hemis were f'n crazy. Twin dom's and a Magnito. Thats crazy power. I think it was a 512 or something.