Catch Can questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I've been reading several threads on catch cans and I have some questions. All of the threads I've read have been install threads and people saying they have ordered them but none of them have been about the benefits of them. What do they actually do and would they benefit my truck? I just recently bought a 2014 Black single cab express with a 5.7. Would this part void my warranty? Any kind of clarification would be appreciated.

scobbyanddale

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 express cc 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No void....it helps and keeps all the un burnt oil from going back into your motor.....worth every penny!!

OP
OP
Brody57

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
There are actually other threads on here about catch cans ????? I didn't notice. :crazy:

I looked and the only ones I ave found were install threads and threads that they bought one. Never one about the benefits or explanation of them. Unless I missed one somewhere.

SIhemi

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
No problem. IMO they are worth it but some will say it's a waste of money.

OP
OP
Brody57

Brody57

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 RCSB
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No problem. IMO they are worth it but some will say it's a waste of money.

From everything I've read the seem pretty beneficial. That may be the first thing I buy for the new truck.

fravr1955

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
For the little money that they cost they are worth their weight in gold. Every Ram should have one.

Semperfi66

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
Speaking of the 6.4, How do you like it?

There is nothing i don't like about the 2500 6.4. I had a 2012 1500 longhorn 5.7 and liked that truck also. I put an AEM dry air filter and Mufflex Magnaflow exhaust on it and what a difference, a lot more throttle response and good sound. Millage is better then the 5.7. (5.7 had 3.92s 6.4 has 2.73s)

NorthStar1

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Ram 1500 Big Horn/Lone Star 4x2 Crew
Engine
Hemi 5.7 eTorque
Here we go again...

Show me a report, from an engineering firm who doesn't have a vested interest in selling catch cans (unlike the earlier post in this thread), which clearly states the benefits of having a catch can and provides proof of such, and I'll buy one. Until then, they are sold by a bunch of vendors on this forum simply to make a dime off of you.

I've heard the little propellers that you install in your receiver hitch help with MPGs. Have you considered purchasing one of them too?

Again, look at the facts - cold, hard, independently tested results other than some guy showing off his oil in the bottom of a catch can - and you'll quickly come to the conclusion they're about as useful as installing a parachute to help you slow down. Guys will tell you its the best money ever spent but what they won't tell you is other than giving them a warm fuzzy to see a little oil in the bottom of a can, exactly what has it done to save the engine. And, most importantly, can anyone point to a 500,000 mile engine in which the catch can helped it get that far - no. Again, snake oil.

viper919

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Definitely worth the money for the added protection. Mines about half full at every oil change.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
catch can..... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

not again... lol

hqdefault.jpg

EdmontonSS

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Im going to just put this (as I would think) logical thought forward about the use of a catch can.

You take anyone who says that they get ANY amount of oil out of the catch can and remember that there is oil going through that line. Liquid oil. Now you look where that line connects to (and where the caught oil would end up without a catch can), and you will see it plugs in right at the bottom of the throttle body before the manifold. So in essence, if you dont think this would effect the overall life/health of the engine, please post up a video of you pouring about a half quart of oil through your throttle body and firing up the engine.

I prefer to think that, while it may not make your engine BETTER or FASTER, it helps to reduce the amount of maintenance and relieves some strain on the internals, if they are left to do their job free of this small/large amount of oil.

Just my 0.02

Oilbelcher

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Ram 1500 4x4 Laramie Limited Diesel
Engine
Diesel 3.0
Stop thinking northstar1. Forums are full of salesmen. Not a big deal, just have to wade through the commercials masquerading as forum posts. If you owned a cold air intake or catch catch company you would have your salesmen each have about 10 different accounts on each forum. Easy money. Not a big deal as someone has to pay for the up keep of the websites. Plus, these particular topics are good entertainment.