Catted vs catless longtubes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Atm I have a catback with a carven AR1 si/so muffler and no resonators. Its loud, but not too loud and the sound is amazing.

Looking at headers and trying to get a better idea of what I'm dealing with. Two issues I have is I think if my truck gets any louder the fuzz is gonna have enough. Two is I know carven no longer makes the AR1.

I'm trying to figure out if catless headers with 2 of carvens new mufflers would be louder than what I've got now.

At minimum the truck will also be getting a hemifever/greene tune and a ported throttle body.

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Catless headers will definitely be louder

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Even going with true duals and 2 mufflers over the one muffler I have now?

Also, I'm trying to figure out the difference between catted headers and a catted y pipe.

Also also, why are guys running a y pipe off the headers, into either a si/do muffler or another y pipe? Why not duals into an x or h pipe?

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Headers are made from a thin gauge steel and you’ll pick up a ton of engine noise over the heavy cast log manifolds. The cast manifolds aren’t good for flow but they do a great job of keeping the engine quiet. The cats knock down a decent amount of noise as well. I have headers, y pipe and a single borla pro Xs muffler and it’s pretty loud. I would say the reason most people go with a y pipe and single muffler is simplicity, most header manufacturers already have a pre-made y pipe that’s easy enough to install yourself. Normally a true dual exhaust is something you’ll have to get made up at an exhaust shop. I’m not really sure on a performance difference between the two

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ah, so you guys are running everything from the muffler back factory?

Not an option for me, outdoorsman come with a single side exit pipe so when I had my exhaust done it went to a shop and everything from in front of the muffler back was lopped off and replaced with dual 45's

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Not a real good picture but you get the point. I'd have the new exhaust exit the exact same way.

20150601_171054_zpsd2lczjsi.JPG

chrisp2493

Always Modding
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
392 Hemi
Ah, so you guys are running everything from the muffler back factory?

Not an option for me, outdoorsman come with a single side exit pipe so when I had my exhaust done it went to a shop and everything from in front of the muffler back was lopped off and replaced with dual 45's

It just depends on how far you want to go with the exhaust system, some guys have just a cat back, others is completely new from the engine to the tips.

I Bleed Ram Trucks

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This will be completely new front to back. The exhaust that's on there is 4 years old.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check emissions regs in your area before you go ditching those cats. Even if they don't stick the tailpipe every year you may fail a visual inspection because the cats will need to be on there if the vehicle came with them from the dealer.

Also I imagine you realize that the catalytic converters are an integral part in reducing toxic emissions from your exhaust. Have you ever been behind an idling classic 60's/70's muscle car in traffic or at a cars-and-coffee type meet? Notice that it stinks and is hard to breathe? That's because of all the noxious fumes coming out of the tailpipe. Note that with modern cars/trucks you can't smell much exhaust while the thing is just sitting there.

Also worth noting that you're going to gain 5, maybe 10hp by ditching the cats. On something which is already knocking on the door of 400hp are the gains really worth it?

twisted 8

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the JBA longtubes w/o cats and the carven competitor muffler and 5'' tips. It is VERY loud to the point just about everyone in town has told me how loud it is. Im thinking of trying a different muffler just to tone it down a bit.

NCRaineman

Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 1500 Classic
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have the JBA longtubes w/o cats and the carven competitor muffler and 5'' tips. It is VERY loud to the point just about everyone in town has told me how loud it is. Im thinking of trying a different muffler just to tone it down a bit.

Get two small glass pack mufflers, like Cherry Bombs, and install them before the muffler. They're cheap and work as excellent resonators.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Check emissions regs in your area before you go ditching those cats. Even if they don't stick the tailpipe every year you may fail a visual inspection because the cats will need to be on there if the vehicle came with them from the dealer.

Also I imagine you realize that the catalytic converters are an integral part in reducing toxic emissions from your exhaust. Have you ever been behind an idling classic 60's/70's muscle car in traffic or at a cars-and-coffee type meet? Notice that it stinks and is hard to breathe? That's because of all the noxious fumes coming out of the tailpipe. Note that with modern cars/trucks you can't smell much exhaust while the thing is just sitting there.

Also worth noting that you're going to gain 5, maybe 10hp by ditching the cats. On something which is already knocking on the door of 400hp are the gains really worth it?

I'm pretty set on running cats at this point, unless the new carven mufflers are a lot lot quieter than the older ones.

I'm trying to figure out if I wanna go catless headers into a catted ypipe or catted headers and true duals with two mufflers.

A catted ypipe might allow me to save the single carven I have now. I really need to crawl around under there and see how the welds are holding up on the rear section of my current exhaust.

OP
OP
rduchateau2954

rduchateau2954

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

That's what I'm afraid of. My truck is pretty loud as it is, any louder and I think the cops are gonna stop looking the other way.

Plus I don't care for my neighbors but I don't hate them either and I leave for work at 5:30am