My Jay Greene Cam job is.. uggh, done

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turkeybird56

Military Vet 1976-1996 Retired US Army
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 Bighorn, 4 X 4, 3.21 rear, Bright Flame Red Pearl Coat, Mopar tonneau cover,Westin Bed rug
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This must really p!ss you off then,i have no idea what this thing on my windshield is, in my HP tuned truck,or why it's there,please can you tell me why it's there,whatever shall i do. :Big Laugh: You're so smart and the rest of us are so dumb,thank-you for enlightening us sir:cheers:
Nice setup there on the left Pillar.

RedSRT4Me

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 CC Sport
Engine
I switched to HP Tunes from Diablo, and used my Diablo unlocked PCM when I got the I3 on my 2018 and didn't have any problems. I *think* the HP tunes setup procedure backed up and factory reset the PCM when it started, but my memory of it is fuzzy since it took me a while to get HP tunes and the credits all loaded up correctly. I'm not sure if there's a time frame where they changed that, just stating how it worked for me. I read through various forums and found more folks saying it would work than not, so I tried it knowing that it risked bricking the expensive unlocked PCM. I got tired of the less granular tunes and not having more precise fuel maps, and there was a much broader tuner community out there for HP Tunes. I struggled for over six months to find someone who could dial in my tune at WOT! Flyin Ryan is good, but sloppy I think, and spent most of the time railing on me for not going with his cam. Hemifever is awesome, but I think more suited to a more generic customer. Jay I got tired of, and he was sick, and the turnaround time was really long...

The process for changing tuning brands is still the same regardless of year. [Exactly how you described it] However the trucks that need the bypass cable still need the bypass cable to complete the task and the PCM of course has to be unlocked first.

Now there is a steep mistake curve and if the end user doesn't follow the directions you can soft brick the PCM.

Example: Not plugging the tuner into the locked PCM to grab the stock tune first before swapping PCM's. This will always result in the truck not being able to be flashed, started, you name it the truck will be freaked out by it.

This will require a call to someone's IT to flash the PCM back to stock. To many mistakes happen in this area to correct or waste the time correcting it. Once enough people figure out it, someday it could be common knowledge. Maybe. :rofl:

OP
OP
Olkutty

Olkutty

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So, I'm not anywhere near as experienced as others on this forum as Wild One, Dilligaf and others, but I've customized the hell out of my truck including a supercharger, stroked and forged, and pretty much upgraded or swapped out every damn system besides the trans.

I have talked to Jay a few times, and while I personally like him because he's a crazy Texan, he's gone a bit off the deep end. I honestly think he's a victim of his own success, he didn't want to scale his operation and took on too much business. I've had tunes by Flyin Ryan, and Hemifever also. They're all decent, but are also very much tuning by grabbing what they have that's close in their library and sort of sending out a 'mass produced' tune with minor tweaks. Unfortunately, while you are still getting a really good tune, especially to protect your transmission, if you do a LOT of mods/customizations like I have, they never quite dial it in.

I switched to HP Tunes from Diablo, and used my Diablo unlocked PCM when I got the I3 on my 2018 and didn't have any problems. I *think* the HP tunes setup procedure backed up and factory reset the PCM when it started, but my memory of it is fuzzy since it took me a while to get HP tunes and the credits all loaded up correctly. I'm not sure if there's a time frame where they changed that, just stating how it worked for me. I read through various forums and found more folks saying it would work than not, so I tried it knowing that it risked bricking the expensive unlocked PCM. I got tired of the less granular tunes and not having more precise fuel maps, and there was a much broader tuner community out there for HP Tunes. I struggled for over six months to find someone who could dial in my tune at WOT! Flyin Ryan is good, but sloppy I think, and spent most of the time railing on me for not going with his cam. Hemifever is awesome, but I think more suited to a more generic customer. Jay I got tired of, and he was sick, and the turnaround time was really long...

I got really lucky and found a guy in St. Louis where I did a dyno/tune session, and it made all the difference in the world. So, just my input for those struggling to find a good tuner, it's tough but worth it in the end.
I’m in St Louis. Please tell me who you used..

Dan Topp

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So , my truck is finally “finished”… The main reason for the post is out of pure frustration, at not only Jay Greene, but the customer service industry as a whole.

I’m going to preface all of this with , I’m not a mechanic. Never claimed to be, never want to be, and I’m doing less and less mechanic work as I get older and wiser. But, it scares me to death to have anyone work on my vehicles. I learned at a very early age, you’ll care about your own car more than anyone… So, if you know how to do a cam job, absolutely 1000%, do it yourself.

I had a lifter go out several months ago. I knew I’d be dealing with the situation eventually, and sure enough, at 72k miles, bam.

I had read enough in the past about Greene Racing, to know, he is “the best”. Hands down. The moment I knew I needed a new cam, it wasn’t even a thought. I contacted him, and right off the bat, the guy just sounded very …. “Leave me alone, I’m busy”.. After everything I had read , I figured he was getting bombarded with a plethora of emails/messages non-stop. After a few “back-and-forths”, I decided to reward knowledge, and give the dude $100 for taking the time to answer questions I may have had and for sure, will have, in the future. Not even a thank you. Oh well. I ordered the full kit.

After a month, and several separate packages of parts arriving sporadically later, I piled everything up, and took them to my local mechanic. (and that took me two weeks to decide who to actually use, because again, I have trust issues)…

I was having a ton of stuff done…

6.4 intake manifold
ARH Headers and full catback exhaust (that’s a whole different review)
Jay Greene 2.5hl thump cam v2
“Hellcat” lifters
CAI
new oil pump
New timing chain

And probably a bigger list than I can even remember. So 3 1/2 months in, and a lot of minor details, I call the shop, and they tell me they broke the pin on the cam. It was almost finished. I had tuned it already with Jay’s tune. We were there.. And , nope…

They told me they would pay for everything to fix it. Cool… I contacted Jay, again, and asked how long for a new Cam.. told him what happened, and he instantly told me my motor was trashed. And my shop was trying to screw me over. Ugghhhh … What do I do now? I called my shop back, relayed that info, and they said they checked over everything. Compression, etc etc. everything was fine, just need a new cam. Ok.. Back to Greene.. Jay tells me to contact Comp Cams. They should fix it quick, but won’t matter, because again, my motor is trashed. He’s seen this over and over again lately from shops not taking their time installing his cam. ‍♂️

I’m in the middle. I don’t care at this point. I’m $20k in including labor, and I’m going to rip my hair out. I want my truck.

A week later, with comp cams not responding whatsoever , my mechanic decided to send the cam to their machine shop. They fixed it. Re-installed everything, and another week later… Finally..tell me it’s finished.

I go to pick it up, and the check engine light is on, throwing 2 burning rich codes. They swear it’s a tuning issue. I message Jay. Nothing. I send an email, containing idle logs… Nothing. Several days later, I send another email, nothing… Like, because my “motor is trashed”, Jay bails on me..

A week after I got my truck back, I take it to a local guy who dynos and tunes. 24 hours later, (and $1k), and the truck is running awesome. This thing is a beast..

I feel like I’m the only one who has had a bad run in with Greene, and that’s ok. Maybe I was too nice. People clearly aren’t use to that these days. I could go on and on about customer service lately. It’s just non existent anymore. But the way people are these days, I can’t fault them I guess..

I’m in no way trying to sway people who to go with. I have no ties with anyone. I’m just a dude, who likes cool stuff, and don’t mind paying for it. But I should also get what I pay for. $650 worthless tune, and a $1250 Diablo and pcm down the drain. If you’re going to do a cam job, headers, etc etc, take it local. That’s my suggestion…
That’s the way performance shops are,slow and excellent with excuses that are difficult to disprove. My last two big mods including body kits and paint shops were too ridiculous to believe. But the ram SC mod and pcm swap was done in one day.My vette 2 yrs and counting.

Dave Haddon

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Years as a Major Crimes Detective taught me to trust no one you know until proven, make good notes and use the system to your benefit. You were up front and got ***** slapped…don’t just sit there payback time lad….!

James OBrien

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hermi
I talked to Joe about a year ago, he was booked out for a couple months which isn't surprising because he's basically the only guy in the STL area that I know of. Glad to hear he does good work.
Yeah, dude is HARD to get hold of, took me about six months of pestering him. He fixed things in my tune from both Jay and Ryan in about 10 minutes that I'd been dealing with for a long time. Definitely a busy guy!

kyleyou17

Reaction score
Ram Year
2013 1500 2021 TRX
Engine
cammed 5.7
I know this is older, and i have a greene cam, **** load done to my truck, I know awhile back he was very sick and was not around for like two months, i remember his wife posting saying he was down and out with the kung-flu. did you ever hear from his again?