Changed trans fluid- and a cautionary tale

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

flinkpoyd01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Finally made the time to do a pan/filter replacement with the Dorman unit and a drain/fill with Mopar branded ZF Lifeguard fluid. Kind of a PITA with needing to jack the rear end up about 10" above the front (had a build some platforms to raise my jackstands higher with 2x4s :D ) but fairly straightforward based on instructions and youtube videos. I did have to pry the crossover exhaust pipe down about 1/2" with a cheater bar and a bottle jack to give the new pan enough clearance to slide in place, which was a little tedious while on my back on the garage floor.

UNTIL!

20220717_174032768_iOS.jpg

DUN DUN DUNNN.... when torquing to the indicated 89 inch lbs, one of the new bolts broke off in the trans. Full "oh ****" moment. Luckily there was *just* enough thread sticking out to get vice grips on it and after a careful application of PB Blaster and some work with the vice grips, it came out just fine. This pic was obviously taken after taking the vice grips to it. Had to remove all of the bolts, the pan, etc. Ended up taking way longer than necessary due to the broken bolt.

A few of the new bolts felt very tight going in- borderline uncomfortably so- but not stripped. All of the bolt holes were clean and free of dirt/debris. I decided to trust the process with the new bolts and low and behold, one did break. After removing them all I did end up reusing the original bolts and they all went in clean and free. Given they have such low torque on them, I don't have concern reusing them.

I caution you to be hyper aware if using new bolts if they don't go in smoothly- don't use them. This could have wrecked my whole afternoon :cool:.

EdGs

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
Good advice, glad it worked out.

I have a cheapie click-type in-lb torque wrench that caused me to break a valve cover bolt on my '02 Ram 1500.

Was a nail-biter for sure.

When I did my fluid/filter on my '15, I torqued the pan bolts in steps 50 in-lbs, then 88 in-lbs.

I always test out the wrench first, and make sure to set it at minimum tension when through.

Last edited:
OP
OP
flinkpoyd01

flinkpoyd01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something doesn't sound right, no way you can break that bolt with 89 INCH pounds, that's only 7.4 FOOT pounds on a bolt rated 10x higher than that. You extra sure your torque wrench is INCH pound and not FOOT pound?
You can if the replacement bolt threads aren’t machined finely enough to match the threads in the trans. 89 inch lbs- just a touch over snug. 89 ft lbs into the aluminum trans case would have broken more than a bolt.

A few of the replacement bolts went in very snug from the beginning due, obviously, to cheap/inconsistent thread cutting.

chopperman1

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Rebel
Engine
5.7L HEMI
You can if the replacement bolt threads aren’t machined finely enough to match the threads in the trans. 89 inch lbs- just a touch over snug. 89 ft lbs into the aluminum trans case would have broken more than a bolt.

A few of the replacement bolts went in very snug from the beginning due, obviously, to cheap/inconsistent thread cutting.
My point is the torque wrench would have "clicked" at 89 INCH pounds well before you could possibly break a bolt that has a shear strength in the 50 FOOT pound range. The 89 INCH pounds is spec'd to to make sure you don't over compress the gasket, that is well below the capacity of that bolt.

OP
OP
flinkpoyd01

flinkpoyd01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My point is the torque wrench would have "clicked" at 89 INCH pounds well before you could possibly break a bolt that has a shear strength in the 50 FOOT pound range. The 89 INCH pounds is spec'd to to make sure you don't over compress the gasket, that is well below the capacity of that bolt.
I understand and generally agree with what you're saying. I'm happy to post a picture of my inch lbs torque wrench if that will satisfy you that it wasn't user error.

If you can, without getting a visual OR physical on the cheapass replacement bolts that came with the kit, confirm beyond any shadow of a doubt over the internet that I caused the issue, your confidence is outstanding. You must have missed the "just past snug" line in my original post.

My point in making this was to bring awareness to the cheap, inferior bolts provided in the kit so this doesn't happen to others. Hope the original content is helpful to others.

Ghost1500

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
What about this pan? I was leaning towards this one when the time comes.....

Best regards,

-Mike

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
What about this pan? I was leaning towards this one when the time comes.....

Best regards,

-Mike
Have you considered the deeper PPE pan.

OP
OP
flinkpoyd01

flinkpoyd01

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Have you considered the deeper PPE pan.

+1 on the PPE pan. If I were to do it over, I'd install that one because the job is kind of a messy PITA and I don't want to ever do it again! :-D

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I have now.... :) Especially the Black one! Dam n that's nice! How much extra fluid does it hold? Looks like about 2 quarts?.....

Br,

-Mike
Also makes fluid changes a little nicer,lol.This site has more info on the pans Mike.

joesstripclub

Reaction score
Ram Year
2021 2500 PW
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I used a cheap $30 ebay pan for mine and I was very leery of the bolts that came with it. Had to swap out a leaky gasket that came with it and ended up reinstalling the factory bolts. If I recall, it seems like they cheap bolts started to strip out very easily.

10 Break

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I had the same thing happen when I changed the fluid on my 07 a few years back, 1 bolt broke off on me, I said "WTF", but enough was exposed to back out with vice grips. Friggin wierd....

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Ughh. Good write-up.

When I finally get around to installing my Chineseium aftermarket aluminum pan on my 2019 classic's 8HP70, I'll be re-using the OEM pan bolts. I wasn't planning on even using a torque wrench. Just snugging them.

2019RamInSC

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Something doesn't sound right, no way you can break that bolt with 89 INCH pounds, that's only 7.4 FOOT pounds on a bolt rated 10x higher than that. You extra sure your torque wrench is INCH pound and not FOOT pound?
Just wanted to Roger That!
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.
If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because
we destroyed ourselves.
-Abraham Lincoln"

Thank You for Your Service!

RJL1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Great heads up. Thank you. I'm currently psyching myself up to do my trans fluid change come fall or spring. I've dealt with Dorman products before and have not had an issue, yet. Most recently was a muffler for our Jeep.

Does a Mopar pan come with new bolts? I have not researched pans enough yet.