Check engine light when turning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jacob K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2014 Ram 1500. Occasionally when I turn right, the engine hesitates a little and then the check engine light comes on. After a few days it goes off. Every time I try to take it to the dealer to get the code read, it goes off before I get there. I’ve heard of the gas cap issues and went ahead and replaced it and check tightness every day before I get in. Anyone have anything similar or know what the issue could be? It’s obnoxious.

Brandon-w

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 1500
Engine
I legit just ran into a guy at the gas station that says he's having the exact same problem. He too didn't have a solution. He said it dings, a lightening bolt pops up on the dash and then bam its gone.
Weird thought and not trying to lead you down any wrong trails but being electric steering I wonder if sterring angle sensor issues would cause havoc like this?

First thing id do is go get your battery load tested. Voltages do weird things.

OP
OP
J

Jacob K

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks. Yeah someone told me the same thing. Just got the battery replaced before a road trip with the family a few months ago. The other odd thing is if I coast through the turn, it’s fine. But if I power or accelerate through the turn, it starts hesitating and bam...check engine light.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks. Yeah someone told me the same thing. Just got the battery replaced before a road trip with the family a few months ago. The other odd thing is if I coast through the turn, it’s fine. But if I power or accelerate through the turn, it starts hesitating and bam...check engine light.

Try running a separate ground from the engine to the battery for fun.Any bolt on the engine will be okay to bolt to.The engines in the trucks can move around a lot,especially if you're accelerating on a tight turn,they use a visciuos motor mount,if the issue still persists that would rule out a bad ground being strained under load,and you can start looking elsewhere.Make a ground up out of at least 10G or more for testing purposes

Last edited:

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Had that problem on a Bighorn I don't have any more but it happened the day I picked up my truck brand new from the dealer same exact problem. Went back and they had to replace a sensor something to do with the gas system. good luck

mtnrider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
You need to know what the code is before you blindly start throwing money at it.

Next time it comes on just go to a local auto parts dealer (autozone, pep boys, etc) and they will read the code for you at no charge. At least you will have an idea of what it is and a starting point.

audiophile

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Not sure if this is your answer but my dad's '94 Dakota did a similar thing and the culprit ended up being the fuel pump.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Red Ramdd

Reaction score
Ram Year
2003, 2011
Engine
5.7 Hemi both
red lighting bolt means there is a lost connection to the ECM usually a connector pin losing contact.

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
red lighting bolt means there is a lost connection to the ECM usually a connector pin losing contact.

That’s not correct. The lightning bolt light is to indicate a issue with the ETC ( Electronic Throttle Control).

Beaconmember1

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have the same issue with my 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi. I had the ETC replaced, the sensor replaced, and new wiring from my ECM. Not only does my truck stall at turns if going to fast, it also stalls sometimes when I back up and stalls when I hit bumps in the road. I have taken my truck to 3 mechanics but my truck problems continue. I'm told from my mechanic that it's a wire shorting out somewhere or a bad ECM. I'm leaning towards a bad wire short somewhere. I would think my mechanic would have checked the connector pins to the ECM, but I'll reach out again to my mechanic to make sure he did that.

mtofell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
You need to know what the code is before you blindly start throwing money at it.

Next time it comes on just go to a local auto parts dealer (autozone, pep boys, etc) and they will read the code for you at no charge. At least you will have an idea of what it is and a starting point.

X2 - or just buy one on ebay. I got mine for less than $50 and it's a great tool to carry with these modern vehicles. Not only can you instantly pull a code, you can also erase/reset them to see if it was just a fluke.

Daw14

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 hemi
Do a throttle reset turn key to run let the dings finish slowly depress gas pedal to floor then slowly release fully.then start truck.