Creaking/Squeaking Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackedoutRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Howdy, about.. a week ago I've been noticing my suspension has a god awful creaking/squeaking. Unsure of how long it has really been going on since I rarely ever roll the windows down and have the air/radio on. But now it is a constant creak with every little bump. I'm attaching a video of the sound. I've read some stuff and it is a mix between Ball joints/Shocks

Shocks are Monroe and they've got about 20k miles on them, same with tie rod ends, lower ball joints (Moog)

Upper control arms have maybe around 50k on them and I do a lot of driving. About a month ago I went down a mile long road for an inspection and that road was god awful with many deep rough potholes. I've noticed my upper control arm ballpoint has a small area where the boot has unseated. But they're both full of grease, so I'm not sure if it would still be making that sound even with grease.

I would like some input if anyone has experienced this or know of what the reasoning might be the culprit.

OP
OP
B

BlackedoutRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Do you think it may be up control arms? Those are the older of the parts. It squeaks when I turn the steering wheel left and right.

Graygoose

Indecisive Car Owner
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Convert, for now.
Engine
small
take time, spray bushings with a lubricant spray, then shake truck again...keep doing a couple items at a time, isolate and then take apart and use a good waterproof grease, I use Green Grease from Advanced Auto Parts

Valkyrie0002

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Big Horn CC
Engine
I would spray my suspension joints and urethane bushings w/ WD-40 once a year on my JKU Wrangler. I should do the same with my Ram and Cherokee..

T-Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
Had the same issue. Turning left and right just sitting still. Sounded exactly the same. I recently installed the bilsteins 5100 set at 2.8. Anyway, I sprayed the top of the shock shaft where the lock nut tightens down on the top spring seat. Squeak went away almost right away. I think the hole wears a bit. May have to spray every now and again but I’m ok with that. Easy fix.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Spray the swaybar mounting bushings as one of your first checks,they have a bit of a rep for squeaking

Karrie Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Howdy, about.. a week ago I've been noticing my suspension has a god awful creaking/squeaking. Unsure of how long it has really been going on since I rarely ever roll the windows down and have the air/radio on. But now it is a constant creak with every little bump. I'm attaching a video of the sound. I've read some stuff and it is a mix between Ball joints/Shocks

Shocks are Monroe and they've got about 20k miles on them, same with tie rod ends, lower ball joints (Moog)

Upper control arms have maybe around 50k on them and I do a lot of driving. About a month ago I went down a mile long road for an inspection and that road was god awful with many deep rough potholes. I've noticed my upper control arm ballpoint has a small area where the boot has unseated. But they're both full of grease, so I'm not sure if it would still be making that sound even with grease.

I would like some input if anyone has experienced this or know of what the reasoning might be the culprit.

Karrie Taylor

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey did you ever figure out what your problem was? My truck is doing the exact same thing.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a
Hello @Karrie Taylor, sorry to hear that you are experiencing vehicle concerns! If you elect to work with your dealer regarding this matter, let us know via private message. We would like to offer additional support if interested.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Chrisg86

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6
Hello @Karrie Taylor, sorry to hear that you are experiencing vehicle concerns! If you elect to work with your dealer regarding this matter, let us know via private message. We would like to offer additional support if interested.

Hannah
Ram Cares
I'm having the same issue took it to the dealer they said the tech wiggled the suspension and couldn't find it. I hear it every time I hit a bump.

fredgomez

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have scrolled through countless posts and articles trying to figure this out. I have the same issue. It is embarrassing. very nice looking 2019 that you can hear coming down the road with this crazy squeak. I have sprayed just about every bushing there is. short of punching a hole into the boots to spray them.... seems like it is too new to have a serious suspension issue. Hate to have to spend a lot of money to take it to the dealer to tell me it will be 2K to fix!

DILLIGAF

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Replace the factory junk with aftermarket, Thats the easiest way...

And never take your truck to a stealer****.

Bigskyroadglide

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7, supercharged
My 14 RT squeaks, at low speed. On mine it's poly bushings. I grease them monthly and it lasts about 2 weeks unless it rains.

I have core 4x4 control arms, road master rear sway bar and belltech end links.

All are poly.

ucyoungblood

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
v8
I had this driver's side on my 2016 ram 1500. was the lower ball joint. I bought a nice upper arm lower control arm kit Detroit Axle brand at 1aauto.com. also they have great videos on YouTube on how to replace them. super easy. don't pay a shop to do this. just arm yourself with 21 through 24mm 1/2" drive and 35mm axle nut sockets. mark the lower control arm alignment nuts perfect and you won't have to pay a shop for that either. im slow and it took me 4 hours per side in my driveway.