DEF consumption

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blackhammer

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
diesel
I have a 2016 Ram 3500. We just got home from a 3000 mile trip. I filled my DEF prior to leaving and when we got home it was in the red. I did have a camper and horse trailer. Is this consumption normal. Seems excessive. When I took my truck in for a recall notice before this trip I asked the tech about the DEF consumption my truck was having. He said he did a software check and update but this thing is really going through the DEF. Is this normal or not. Thanks

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
DEF consumption varies drastically. If your cruising at highway speed you’ll use next to nothing for DEF. on the other hand, if you’re fully loaded and towing a house, you’re going to use a lot.

Everything the DEF system does is monitored very closely, if it’s using to little or to much you’ll get a check engine light.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
DEF consumption is approximately 2% of the amount of fuel burned.
When my buddy tows his fiver with his 2500 CTD, he'll carry a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF in the bed.