Determining axle ratios

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lucky Dog

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.1
Just purchased a 2009 Big Horn 1500 and would like to know how to determine its' axle ratios. Is there a build label somewhere on the truck?

Krein

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There should be a label on the rear axle with the ratio if not google (ram vin build sheet) and you can go from there. Just enter your vin#

jasonw

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi V8
The tag on the rear axle wears off pretty quick, but sometimes you get lucky. Another place to find it is on the transfer case, if you have a 4x4. It'll be on the back, underside of the case.

Here is a pic of the one from my 2013 before it was totaled.

NW7JtDA.jpg

Otherwise, Krein is correct, a build sheet will tell you.

Dwight Schrute

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
There should be a label on the rear axle with the ratio if not google (ram vin build sheet) and you can go from there. Just enter your vin#

The build sheet gives two sections. "Standard" and "optional".

Am I reading this right. The standard list is what all trucks (this model/trim) came with. The optional is extras that the original owner got with the truck? So if the 3.92 is listed under "optional". That's what my truck would have.