Diesel through a hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Long story short, I ended up running diesel through my truck and now I’ve got to fix it before I can ship it back to the States in a few months.

Below is the long story.

I filled up Sunday after noon, from about 1/4 tank, and drove home. Monday I went to work and on my way home my truck started to miss and stalled out, this was about 35-40 miles of driving after filling up. I thought it was some bad gas, I talked to a buddy of mine and he agreed that it sounded like water in the gas. I walked over to the hobby shop on base, grabbed a couple bottles of water remover fuel treatment and added it to my tank. I got it started but it kept stalling out and just ran like crap but I did get home. I decided to call a company out and have them drain my tank, still thinking it was bad fuel. When they drained it, they informed me that it was diesel. They did drain it all and put about 16l of gas in it but it still won’t stay running. I know I put gasoline in it and have the receipt proving it but it was on base so now I have to deal with the government for reimbursement. For this I have to get everything fixed, then give them the total cost, any evidence or support documents and then they’ll investigate and decide if they’re going to reimburse me. Being as it’s not guaranteed that I’ll get reimbursed, I’m looking to keep it as cheap as possible.

So, it’s been a while but some of you may remember my introduction and the fact that I’m in the U.K. and this makes everything that much more difficult. I can’t just run to the local parts store or scrap yard, I’ll be ordering anything I need online. Plus, most garages here aren’t familiar with my truck and I feel more comfortable working on it myself.

My plan now is to:
Drop and completely drain the tank
Pull the plugs and clean/replace if needed
Pull the O2 sensors and clean/replace if needed
Oil change

Hopefully this will get me running again.

If so, the next couple of tanks will be premium with the first having some fuel system cleaner added. If not, I’ll look at injectors or possibly having to tear it down further to see if there’s any internal damage. Another twist is that I’ll be doing this while preparing to move my family back to the US in a few months.

Do any of y’all have any other suggestions on what I should do to it?

Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for any advice given.

Brett

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
I’d start by just flushing the fuel rails and injectors with one of those DIY injection cleaner kits. Probably all it needs.

Same thing happened to my work truck one time, although the mixture in the tank was such that it didn’t stop running. Stumbled and ran like crap for the whole tank, though. Suffered no long term issues as a result.

I was a long way from home in a rural area, so I just drove it out and refilled with premium.

TMyers

USMC 84' - 92'
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7
If they got the tank drained, you shouldn't need to drop it. A gallon of diesel in a full tank a good gas will run fine. The O2 sensors have gone crazy sending the computer info from the exhaust. As mentioned above, I'd clean out the fuel rails and the plugs and see if it will run.

All new vehicles now have fuel lines that require a tool to disconnect them. If someone has one, I would disconnect it and cycle the key a few times to flush the lines as well.

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Like mentioned flush the fuel system until you have gas at the rails, flush the rails, and if possible flush the injectors. If the tank was already drained I wouldn't bother dropping it unless you're convinced it still has quite a bit of diesel in it. You'd be surprised how much will be in the lines before you get clean fuel up at the rails. Went through this with my grandfathers truck after he put Diesel in it and we didn't do much to get it back running.

The number one thing to do once you get it running again is to let it idle through the roughness and then keep the RPM's low, but elevated enough to run until it's back to running smoothly. Do not put it under load until it can idle smoothly again and rev up without stumbling unloaded. After that run a few tanks of premium with a decent cleaner like Redline S1 or the gumout with PEA through the system and you should be fine. I wouldn't expect the O2s to be fouled unless they were already on their way out and the same goes for the plugs.

gofishn

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Ram 1500 5th Gen, Big Horn, 4X4, Crew Cab, 6'4" Box
Engine
hemi 5.7L, 345 cu in
agree with everything stated, thsu far.
Would just add my prefered cleaner is Chevron Techron.
I doubt any serious or intensive damage hasbeen done.

Ps
Thank you for your Service

OP
OP
S

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks guys, the guy who drained it disconnected the line at the rail and cycled it until there was gas coming through the line. Hopefully I’ll have decent weather this weekend and can pull the plugs. I’ll have to see what’s available as far as fuel treatments but I know I can get the Lucas one.

It’s our doomed Scotland trip. We’ve been her for 7 yrs and every time we try going something happens.

madtrucker2016

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Sorry to hear what happened to your Ram like the post before said cleaning the rail and plugs,O2 sensor and maybe map sensor .they make a spray cleaner just for that. well good luck and I think you,ll be fine.Just one thing smell before you put it in your truck if its gas or diesel fuel.

texan279

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Long story short, I ended up running diesel through my truck and now I’ve got to fix it before I can ship it back to the States in a few months.

Below is the long story.

I filled up Sunday after noon, from about 1/4 tank, and drove home. Monday I went to work and on my way home my truck started to miss and stalled out, this was about 35-40 miles of driving after filling up. I thought it was some bad gas, I talked to a buddy of mine and he agreed that it sounded like water in the gas. I walked over to the hobby shop on base, grabbed a couple bottles of water remover fuel treatment and added it to my tank. I got it started but it kept stalling out and just ran like crap but I did get home. I decided to call a company out and have them drain my tank, still thinking it was bad fuel. When they drained it, they informed me that it was diesel. They did drain it all and put about 16l of gas in it but it still won’t stay running. I know I put gasoline in it and have the receipt proving it but it was on base so now I have to deal with the government for reimbursement. For this I have to get everything fixed, then give them the total cost, any evidence or support documents and then they’ll investigate and decide if they’re going to reimburse me. Being as it’s not guaranteed that I’ll get reimbursed, I’m looking to keep it as cheap as possible.

So, it’s been a while but some of you may remember my introduction and the fact that I’m in the U.K. and this makes everything that much more difficult. I can’t just run to the local parts store or scrap yard, I’ll be ordering anything I need online. Plus, most garages here aren’t familiar with my truck and I feel more comfortable working on it myself.

My plan now is to:
Drop and completely drain the tank
Pull the plugs and clean/replace if needed
Pull the O2 sensors and clean/replace if needed
Oil change

Hopefully this will get me running again.

If so, the next couple of tanks will be premium with the first having some fuel system cleaner added. If not, I’ll look at injectors or possibly having to tear it down further to see if there’s any internal damage. Another twist is that I’ll be doing this while preparing to move my family back to the US in a few months.

Do any of y’all have any other suggestions on what I should do to it?

Sorry for the long post but thanks in advance for any advice given.

Brett

Sorry to hear about this. I don't have much to add. My grandmother did this in her Lincoln a few years back. Wasn't near as bad as we thought it would be (money wise). I also wanted to say thank you for your service.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Before you start pulling all the spark plugs, check the fuel rail pressure. Clean the fuel rails first and you'll want to verify the actual pressure with a gauge compared to the ECM is reading.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
Thanks guys, the guy who drained it disconnected the line at the rail and cycled it until there was gas coming through the line. Hopefully I’ll have decent weather this weekend and can pull the plugs. I’ll have to see what’s available as far as fuel treatments but I know I can get the Lucas one.

It’s our doomed Scotland trip. We’ve been her for 7 yrs and every time we try going something happens.

Unless it's time to change out plugs just pull the easiest 1 to get 2 & inspect that 1 before pulling all.

BWL

Embrace the skeptisism
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
hemi 5.7
I made the same mistake once upon a time. Drained the fuel tank, fresh gas and it fired after a couple tries. Smoked a lot for a couple minutes and then ran fine for years. Diesel in a gas isn't too big a deal. Now gas in a diesel. That's a big mistake.

Texram155

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
My wife did this when we where stationed in Hohenfels. Drain it and change the oil. Good to go.

Sur5er

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Sure, blame it on the bride!

Rug_Trucker

Reaction score
Ram Year
1993 D-350 CTD dually
Engine
5.9 Cummins
Stupid advice, clean the rails? No. Easy fix. Add gas, gauge goes down a little, add gas, gauge goes down a little add gas.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Is there a filter inline that could be replaced? As oily as diesel is it could clog up a gas fuel filter. For no longer than you run it, I wouldn't think it would have fouled the plugs already. As mentioned above, pull the easiest one to see what it looks like & go from there.

OP
OP
S

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well guys, still not 100% but I’m back on the road. I’ve replaced the plugs and O2 sensors and still have a misfire. It still died after swapping it all but I took it out and beat on it a bit. It now running a bit smoother and I can slow/stop without having to ride the throttle. The fuel on base isn’t known for its quality, so I decided to try a tank from off base. Glad I don’t have to do it all the time, it was £134 ($160). I can hear the mis and feel it but there’s no light most of the time, it’ll flash under acceleration and kick on randomly. I get cylinder 3 misfire when I pull the codes, so I’ll swap the coil to another cylinder to see if the misfire moves. More to come, keep your distance and wash your hands.

Brett

OP
OP
S

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Swapped the coil pack and plugs with another cylinder and I still got a #3 cylinder misfire. Now I guess the last thing to check is the injector, unless anyone has any other ideas.