Diesel through a hemi

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I may be stumped. I just pulled all the injectors and did a direct swap on the sides, DS to PS. While they were out, I cleaned them before reinstalling. Took it out and it started missing again and threw the CEL, pulled the code and it’s #3 cylinder again. If it was the injector, it should’ve moved to #4.

The only other things I can think of are the actual connections. I’ll have to check the voltage going to the injector and coil pack.
Anyone got any other ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well, I may be stumped. I just pulled all the injectors and did a direct swap on the sides, DS to PS. While they were out, I cleaned them before reinstalling. Took it out and it started missing again and threw the CEL, pulled the code and it’s #3 cylinder again. If it was the injector, it should’ve moved to #4.

The only other things I can think of are the actual connections. I’ll have to check the voltage going to the injector and coil pack.

OP
OP
S

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

Brett

OP
OP
S

SchrodeMode

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I was hoping that if I didn’t think about the lifter/cam failure I’d possibly “will” it away from that, but I started looking into it and I’m leaning towards that or hopefully maybe just a spring. I did the compression check and cylinder 3 is low, I’ll have to look at my notes for the numbers. I guess it’s just luck for it to happen at the same time as this? I don’t see how the diesel could’ve caused it. I had no issues before this though, it never had the tick and ran super smooth.

Now my issue is logistics and timing. I’d have some logistical issues just because of the fact that I’m stationed in the U.K. and Rams/Hemis aren’t too common here. They’re amplified now because of Rona hanging around and everything taking a bit longer to get over here. Now I add those to the fact that I was originally slotted to be moving back to the US this summer and I’m in a time crunch. I think my best option is to park it and hopefully I’ll be able to ship it out once the movement holds are lifted and just do the work back in the US. I’ll probably throw my stock muffler back on to hopefully deter anyone in the shipping chain from playing around just to hear it.

I guess I’ll have time to look into better parts now. Thanks for the help guys.

Brett

Travelin Ram

Reaction score
Somewhere in NA. Probably. We travel a lot.
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for closing the loop on the issue, that’s always appreciated. Sorry to hear it’s that serious, but it’s certainly a coincidence, no way the fuel caused that.

Best wishes for a smooth return stateside.

crackerjack1957

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 Sport 1500 CC 4x4
Engine
Hemi 5.7...65RFE...4.56
I was hoping that if I didn’t think about the lifter/cam failure I’d possibly “will” it away from that, but I started looking into it and I’m leaning towards that or hopefully maybe just a spring. I did the compression check and cylinder 3 is low, I’ll have to look at my notes for the numbers. I guess it’s just luck for it to happen at the same time as this? I don’t see how the diesel could’ve caused it. I had no issues before this though, it never had the tick and ran super smooth.

Now my issue is logistics and timing. I’d have some logistical issues just because of the fact that I’m stationed in the U.K. and Rams/Hemis aren’t too common here. They’re amplified now because of Rona hanging around and everything taking a bit longer to get over here. Now I add those to the fact that I was originally slotted to be moving back to the US this summer and I’m in a time crunch. I think my best option is to park it and hopefully I’ll be able to ship it out once the movement holds are lifted and just do the work back in the US. I’ll probably throw my stock muffler back on to hopefully deter anyone in the shipping chain from playing around just to hear it.

I guess I’ll have time to look into better parts now. Thanks for the help guys.

Brett

You could identify cam/lifter issue with a dial indicator on rocker on intake & exhaust.
It should move the same amount compared to the other cylinders.

If that checks out you can change out springs without removing head with some specialized tools.