Diff Gaskets?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Anyone using the Flepro front and Rear diff gaskets for our trucks? I bought both front and rear as I’m changing out the diff oils as soon as they arrive. Seeing how they are over RTV.
Thanks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Anyone using the Flepro front and Rear diff gaskets for our trucks? I bought both front and rear as I’m changing out the diff oils as soon as they arrive. Seeing how they are over RTV.
Thanks.

The cover on the rear doesn't have to come off to do an oil change on the rear Lyle,there's a drain plug on the front pass side of the diff,if it's not leaking don't mess with it. Not sure about your front diff as I think you should have the older AAM 8.25 front diff,but i'd hazard a guess it should also have a drain plug. RTV is the way to go on diff covers,personally I wouldn't use a gasket on either diff,as gaskets tend to leak over time,RTV doesn't leak over time.

OP
OP
Lyle Longboat

Lyle Longboat

2011 Ram 1500 5.7 Sport CC
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I have the drain in Rear diff, however I’m putting in Redline In both and want to clean both out good. I wanted some input on the gaskets and thanks for the info. I didn’t know a thing about the gaskets leaking vs RTV not leaking. I better play it safe with RTV route. I tried the pump in the front diff lastnight and only got about a quart and a quarter out. I think I may have to remove cover to fully change out the fluid. I’m flushing out both anyways with shelf brand fluids they have here in isolation before Redline. Thanks again for the response and info.

chri5k

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Diesel
Remember to follow the RTV instructions. Put on the bead of RTV, assemble parts, finger tighten bolts until it starts to ooze a bit, wait 1 hour and then tighten bolts 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Allow to fully cure for 24 hours.

I prefer gaskets so I don't have the vehicle down for 1 - 1.5 days.

leowes

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Remember to follow the RTV instructions. Put on the bead of RTV, assemble parts, finger tighten bolts until it starts to ooze a bit, wait 1 hour and then tighten bolts 1/4 - 1/2 turn. Allow to fully cure for 24 hours.
You don't need to clean out to put red line in. Drain and fill. But if it makes you feel better and you want the project go and pull the covers.
I prefer gaskets so I don't have the vehicle down for 1 - 1.5 days.
I only use rtv. Best thing is to have mating surfaces free of any oil. Assemble and let dry empty overnight before refilling. Been doing this way in the shop for over 25 years no leaks.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Yeah I have the drain in Rear diff, however I’m putting in Redline In both and want to clean both out good. I wanted some input on the gaskets and thanks for the info. I didn’t know a thing about the gaskets leaking vs RTV not leaking. I better play it safe with RTV route. I tried the pump in the front diff lastnight and only got about a quart and a quarter out. I think I may have to remove cover to fully change out the fluid. I’m flushing out both anyways with shelf brand fluids they have here in isolation before Redline. Thanks again for the response and info.

If you're pulling the covers to flush them out,if you have a wash gun and you're away from any ignition source wash them out with good old gas,cleans them up pretty fast and you won't get them much cleaner. I'd even wash the gasket surfaces and blow all the bolt holes out with gas,then blow them out again with just air. Then for a final clean on the gasket surfaces wipe them down with Acetone or Laquer Thinner,and follow the advice above about a thin bead,let it skim over for a few minutes then put the cover on loosely,i've never waited 24 hours for the gasket maker to cure,but I usually wait an hour or 2 then tighten the bolts up

indept

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The cover on the rear doesn't have to come off to do an oil change on the rear Lyle,there's a drain plug on the front pass side of the diff,if it's not leaking don't mess with it. Not sure about your front diff as I think you should have the older AAM 8.25 front diff,but i'd hazard a guess it should also have a drain plug. RTV is the way to go on diff covers,personally I wouldn't use a gasket on either diff,as gaskets tend to leak over time,RTV doesn't leak over time.
I've used rubber gaskets on previous vehicles and never had a leak issue. Now cork gaskets are a different issue, pure junk.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
,i've never waited 24 hours for the gasket maker to cure,but I usually wait an hour or 2 then tighten the bolts up

Yea I can confirm in a garage setting there is no waiting 24 hrs lol. 5 to 10 minutes maximum, and thats just because he cant find that damn 75w140 in the stock shelf haha

We always used the same rtv sealant on everything, trans pans, diff covers if it had oil to hold it got the kleen flo black rtv.
Now I use permatex ultra black because its easily accessible at canadian tire haha

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD
When I get into changing the gear oil, I will be using lube lockers. They worked great on the Jeeps we had. On my Jeep had the cover off after the 500 mile break-in on new gears then new cover and then when gear oil change was due. I firmly believe on inspecting the guts on a gear oil change.

The lube lockers cut out the gasket & RTV scraping. I did 2 lube changes on my Jeep, including wipe out and inspection in less than 15 min each.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
When I get into changing the gear oil, I will be using lube lockers. They worked great on the Jeeps we had. On my Jeep had the cover off after the 500 mile break-in on new gears then new cover and then when gear oil change was due. I firmly believe on inspecting the guts on a gear oil change.

The lube lockers cut out the gasket & RTV scraping. I did 2 lube changes on my Jeep, including wipe out and inspection in less than 15 min each.

Put up a link to these lube locker gaskets.Talking about them with no link isn't the way to go.You guys raving about them,should at least put up a link to them,otherwise talking about them means squat.

Octane

Reaction score
Put up a link to these lube locker gaskets.Talking about them with no link isn't the way to go.You guys raving about them,should at least put up a link to them,otherwise talking about them means squat.
I havent been able to find the diff gaskets like these for a gm 12 bolt in my k10 but have no trouble just using rtv on it and the Ram,or plain gaskets

stenerson

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 VVT
I always used the rubber gasket on rear diff in my 3rd gen Ram. Never had any leaking issues. Personally not a fan of using permatex. Yeah, I know it works but didn't like the hassle of scraping and cleaning that stuff off. I'd use a small dab here and there just so the rubber gasket would stay put on cover while re attaching. That being said the gaskets were cheap and easy to find on the 3rd gen. I wouldn't pay Lubelocker price for a gasket. If anyone has link to a basic rubber gasket for this please share. Autozone doesn't have them. I like the idea of wiping the sludge of that bottom magnet, especially at first diff oil change.

Last edited:

WY-Dave

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 2500
Engine
6.7 CTD

What ya want us to put them on for you too?