Difference in exhaust notes?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Hello all,

I am looking to make my truck sound a bit more manly, I have a new 21 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. I have the opportunity to pick up a used B2 Fabrication muffler delete for a reasonable price. My question is I had a Carven competitor on my 18 Ram and loved the sound but most of all I loved that it did not drone too bad. My question how is the sound and drone of the B2 fabs muffler delete compared to the Carven competitor muffler? I do not mind a loud truck but I also do not want the sound resonating in my head while driving on the highway. The carven in my opinion was a great muffler but given the current shortage and the wait time to get one pick up the used B2 today and not have to wait. Any insight or inputs would be greatly appreciated!

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
It's been my experience that one person's definition of "drone" isn't always the same as someone else's definition. And what sounds good to me might not sound good to you. The only real way to know is to experience it for yourself to see if it's something you can live with. Unfortunately that usually means buying and installing it in your truck. I'm pretty sensitive to droning at highway speed apparently. The wife is running the B2 fabrication round muffler, and she's very happy with it. She doesn't really notice the droning at 60 mph like I do. I had their oval muffler on my previous truck and was happy with that. I'm still running the stock muffler on my new truck. When we go someplace together we take my truck if we will be driving on the highway LOL.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
That's odd, this past weekend I replaced my Magnaflow muffler and put a stock muffler back on to see if I like it. It still sounds pretty good from the back but is much quieter inside while cruising. Still can hear it when I open it up, now I don't have the cop that was sitting up ahead staring me down because he could hear me before he saw me! Guess I'm getting older because I like it for now, who knows I'll probably change it back some day just to have something different again! LOL

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The 5th gens exhaust is noticeably quieter than the 4th gen almost to the point where even I want to swap the muffler out but probably won’t.

I'd like to do an exhaust cutout to have the best of both worlds but I doubt an electric setup would last one winter up here. I've had them on my 66 buick for years but that car stays garaged year round and isn't exposed to any of the winter elements.

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'd like to do an exhaust cutout to have the best of both worlds but I doubt an electric setup would last one winter up here. I've had them on my 66 buick for years but that car stays garaged year round and isn't exposed to any of the winter elements.

here you go, bolt on simple install. I ran Electric cut outs on a couple vehicles for years and they did well. They do require a little yearly preventative maintanence to ensure they last. I would use di-electric grease on the connections and lubricate all moving parts when I change the oil.

Message me if you would like a quote

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
here you go, bolt on simple install. I ran Electric cut outs on a couple vehicles for years and they did well. They do require a little yearly preventative maintanence to ensure they last. I would use di-electric grease on the connections and lubricate all moving parts when I change the oil.

Message me if you would like a quote

Thanks, yeah those are the kind I've had on my car for quite a long time. Do they really hold up to tons of salt and snow/ice/sludge exposure? Seems like it's just asking for trouble, but I can only base that off my own speculation. What part of NY are you in?

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks, yeah those are the kind I've had on my car for quite a long time. Do they really hold up to tons of salt and snow/ice/sludge exposure? Seems like it's just asking for trouble, but I can only base that off my own speculation. What part of NY are you in?

The QTPs did better than some other brands I have used. With some preventive maintenance I didn't have any problems. Every oil change I would PM the cutout and that was simply lubricating all moving parts and cleaning and then dielectric greasing the connections. Also before installation remove screws that hold the butterfly valve to the shaft and loctite them, then reinstall. These few little tasks prevented the most common issues people have with these. I am in Rockland County.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
The QTPs did better than some other brands I have used. With some preventive maintenance I didn't have any problems. Every oil change I would PM the cutout and that was simply lubricating all moving parts and cleaning and then dielectric greasing the connections. Also before installation remove screws that hold the butterfly valve to the shaft and loctite them, then reinstall. These few little tasks prevented the most common issues people have with these. I am in Rockland County.

Thanks for the information, if you don't mind I have one more question. Looking at Rockland county vs mine (Broome/Binghamton area) it look's like we get about 2-3x more snow annually on average. Due to this, our roads are almost constantly caked with salt throughout winter and into spring. Also due to this, I take my truck through an auto car wash with the under body spray usually once a week (sometimes more). With all of that in mind, do you think the maintenance 2-3 times a year would still be sufficient, or do you think the possible extra sold/washing could have any negative effect on the cutouts operation?

Now that I'm thinking about this I guess I should look for some sound clips of a ram with a cutout, I'm wondering how it would sound vs my old car which has a much different setup (long tubes and true dual straight piped exhaust).

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Thanks for the information, if you don't mind I have one more question. Looking at Rockland county vs mine (Broome/Binghamton area) it look's like we get about 2-3x more snow annually on average. Due to this, our roads are almost constantly caked with salt throughout winter and into spring. Also due to this, I take my truck through an auto car wash with the under body spray usually once a week (sometimes more). With all of that in mind, do you think the maintenance 2-3 times a year would still be sufficient, or do you think the possible extra sold/washing could have any negative effect on the cutouts operation?

Now that I'm thinking about this I guess I should look for some sound clips of a ram with a cutout, I'm wondering how it would sound vs my old car which has a much different setup (long tubes and true dual straight piped exhaust).

I think a bit more often on the maintenance may not be a bad idea. Another thing to consider in your case is using something like the Amsoil Metal Protector HD or Fluid Film. Something that wont prohibit moving parts from moving but still provides a barrier of protection.

JoeCo

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I think a bit more often on the maintenance may not be a bad idea. Another thing to consider in your case is using something like the Amsoil Metal Protector HD or Fluid Film. Something that wont prohibit moving parts from moving but still provides a barrier of protection.

Awesome thanks for the info, I'll start looking into some of this and if I decide to go this route you will be hearing from me!

seabrook

Reaction score
Ram Year
Black 2018 Night
Engine
5.7 3.92 anti slip
That's odd, this past weekend I replaced my Magnaflow muffler and put a stock muffler back on to see if I like it. It still sounds pretty good from the back but is much quieter inside while cruising. Still can hear it when I open it up, now I don't have the cop that was sitting up ahead staring me down because he could hear me before he saw me! Guess I'm getting older because I like it for now, who knows I'll probably change it back some day just to have something different again! LOL
yep that why i kept my muffler to me it sounds good enough and does not get on my nerves

Nick@GotExhaust

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Awesome thanks for the info, I'll start looking into some of this and if I decide to go this route you will be hearing from me!
You're welcome. Let me know if you have any other questions or need anything else!

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
So a little update... I found an awesome deal for a B2 Fabrication muffler delete local to me on Market place and pulled the trigger. I installed it yesterday and everything went smooth the truck sounds much better not, but I will say I honestly expected with a muffler delete to be much louder than it is. I had a Carven Competitor on my 18 Ram and it was considerably louder than my 21 with the muffler delete. At this moment I retained the factory resonators, but i imagine I will be removing them here shortly in an attempt to make a bit more aggressive. Overall happy though and it only cost me $100 and a half hour of work.

hemihustlin

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
So a little update... I found an awesome deal for a B2 Fabrication muffler delete local to me on Market place and pulled the trigger. I installed it yesterday and everything went smooth the truck sounds much better not, but I will say I honestly expected with a muffler delete to be much louder than it is. I had a Carven Competitor on my 18 Ram and it was considerably louder than my 21 with the muffler delete. At this moment I retained the factory resonators, but i imagine I will be removing them here shortly in an attempt to make a bit more aggressive. Overall happy though and it only cost me $100 and a half hour of work.
Go into a tunnel slowly all windows open then let it rip! Pretty sure you will be happy, works for me every time :party36:

I had muffler regrets too at first install I was like damn this isnt loud enough but after a 2 or 3 weeks of tunnel driving and tight old city streets (wall of sound even better than tunnel sometimes!) I am perfectly happy with it. Real good old school muscle car music!
Must have really good cabin insulation because I hardly hear it on the highway with the dual rear exit exhaust.

OP
OP
rojo_143

rojo_143

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L Hemi
Go into a tunnel slowly all windows open then let it rip! Pretty sure you will be happy, works for me every time :party36:

I had muffler regrets too at first install I was like damn this isnt loud enough but after a 2 or 3 weeks of tunnel driving and tight old city streets (wall of sound even better than tunnel sometimes!) I am perfectly happy with it. Real good old school muscle car music!
Must have really good cabin insulation because I hardly hear it on the highway with the dual rear exit exhaust.

Unfortunately down here in Florida there are not to many tunnels so city streets it is!! You are right about the cabin insulation, between that and the Active Noise Cancellation I can barely hear it while cruising around. I will give it a few weeks before I do anything else to the exhaust and most of all let the wife drive it around and see what she thinks of it. I guess I am so used to the aggressive bark my 18 would let out on its first cold start or when pushing the skinny pedal to full go, I figured if i remove the muffler all together it would be equal or louder. I know the rear resonators on my 21 are much larger than on my previous 18 so that probably isn't helping much. Time will tell but for now I am satisfied to be able to actually hear my truck.

mikeru

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7L
The 5th gens exhaust is noticeably quieter than the 4th gen almost to the point where even I want to swap the muffler out but probably won’t.
I'm thinking the exhaust on 5th gens isn't really quieter, it's just quieter inside the cab. They definitely improved on that with the DT cab design.

2012RAM1500RT

TOTM Winner
Reaction score
Guess I'm not as old as I thought I was, I already miss that Hemi rumble. Going to put my Magnaflow muffler back on! Yeah, I wish I could make up my mind too! LOL