DIY 5.0 to 8.4 Navigation upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricks Ram

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Some people have reported having issues putting a 15 radio in a 14 and others have had no issues. Not sure about a 14 radio in a 15 Ram.

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I have a 15 , RA2 IN MY 14 RA1 no problems at all !

R.L.K.

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 4X4 QC Express 6 speed auto 355 differentials
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Wow disregard ! # !! Sorry , I didn't realize what thread I was on !

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Adopted RA4N

Two questions about an adopted RA4N navigation:

1. Will getting the sales code flashed give me the option to use voice commands with the unit from my factory mirror mike? Or is this a Uconnect function?

2. Will same give me turn directions in my 7" cluster?

Took my first trip on Friday and had to stop to enter an address. Unit worked great but there was nothing sent to the evic like on a factory installed RA4N

Thanks for any responses.

Tallsilver

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
Two questions about an adopted RA4N navigation:

1. Will getting the sales code flashed give me the option to use voice commands with the unit from my factory mirror mike? Or is this a Uconnect function?

2. Will same give me turn directions in my 7" cluster?

Took my first trip on Friday and had to stop to enter an address. Unit worked great but there was nothing sent to the evic like on a factory installed RA4N

Thanks for any responses.

Tallsilver

Voice Control Does not require a sales code at all. The only thing you could pay for is voice texting, but we cannot use any uconnect access functions. There is an option under the nav settings to do turn by turn in the cluster.

JSVT3

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok, anyone else running a 14 radio in 15 truck?

I have a 14 in a 15. The only thing I have noticed is my satellite radio gets sensitive to signal at times where it didn't before. Is it radio related? I dunno. Everything else works fine for me though.

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Voice Control Does not require a sales code at all. The only thing you could pay for is voice texting, but we cannot use any uconnect access functions. There is an option under the nav settings to do turn by turn in the cluster.

Thanks, I'll take a look in the nav settings. Voice control did not work but maybe there's something I haven't done in settins.

Tallsilver

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Thanks, I'll take a look in the nav settings. Voice control did not work but maybe there's something I haven't done in settins.

Tallsilver

Some folks have the Nav display in cluster setting in the settings menu and some do not. I have had 3 different 8.4AN radios installed in my truck and never got that menu. You may have it and it may be disabled. I am not sure why some have it and some don not, maybe it is firmware version dependent?

However I have always gotten the turn by turn instructions to show up in the EVIC, even when I had the cheap cluster with the 3.5 EVIC.

The turn by turn does not display all the time only when approaching a turn, or if the GPS tells you to stay to the right or the left for a highway split etc. It will come on a fixed distance from the turn depending on travel speed.

CuylerTech

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Big Horn Mega Cab 4x4
Engine
6.7L
I believe that Turn by Turn is also a default if you factory reset the radio.

Bill507

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I believe that Turn by Turn is also a default if you factory reset the radio.
When I switched from the plane Jane cluster to the 7 I did not have any nav sent to the cluster - not in the old either btw. With advice from members here, I did the factory reset and ****! I saw the menu item while I had the SRT logo and turns were now in full color in my display. When the restarts returned to the ram head background the menu was gone (??) But turns stayed I'm my cluster.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SitKneelBend

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I can tell you I am capable of dictating text message replies by speaking to the radio. It even let's people know it came from my truck by adding a signature "sent from my Ram" or something like that. No sales codes have been added to my 2014 Express.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
And mine works a s well, except I can only receive since I have an Iphone 6. Iphones do not work with talk to text on our radios, because they do not support MAP. They will however receive messages but only in real time. The radio will not store them nor retrieve them from your inbox. So if you have an Iphone enable notifications in the settings menu, and if someone sends you a text while you are in your truck you should get it but then and only then.

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I should ask more often!

Used routing from office to home today, and all worked as it should.........beats me why it didn't seem to work Friday on my trip. Voice to navigate and turn display in cluster ...........all is well! Maybe I'm in the beginning of "oldtimers" disease. :roflsquared:

Thanks!!

Tallsilver

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Used routing from office to home today, and all worked as it should.........beats me why it didn't seem to work Friday on my trip. Voice to navigate and turn display in cluster ...........all is well! Maybe I'm in the beginning of "oldtimers" disease. :roflsquared:

Thanks!!

Tallsilver

Bite your tongue at 54 we are not old, just well broken in!

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
My mistake saw your post count, quickly and mistook that as the age. Still 68 is not that bad, its all good as long as you are looking down on the blades of grass and not looking up at the their roots.

Tallsilver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
My mistake saw your post count, quickly and mistook that as the age. Still 68 is not that bad, its all good as long as you are looking down on the blades of grass and not looking up at the their roots.

Yep, being vertical is a blessing!!

Status
Not open for further replies.