Does it bother you when people call your RAM a Dodge?

Does it bother you when people call your 5th Gen RAM a Dodge?

• Yes

Votes: 37 16.5%
  • No

Votes: 187 83.5%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

troverman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Any Ram, or just yours? You did buy a tradesman, correct? And came from an XLT? Probably a lot of what you don’t like on your Ram is because you bought a both of the barrel trim level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mine is a Tradesman - if you want a manual, that's pretty much all the dealers had. It was still $60k.

The Fords...I've had three XLT trucks, one XLT base (like an SLT), one XLT Value, and one XLT Premium. I've also had one Lariat Value and one Lariat Ultimate. Also had a King Ranch. So I've kind of had most of the trim levels available on Ford.

In no way am I comparing missing features on the Tradesman RAM to features found on the Fords because of trim levels. For example, a Laramie Longhorn still has the same cramped rear crew cab as a Tradesman. The Ford cab is simply the best. I think the new RAM half-ton ups the game on cab spaciousness, but for now on the HD's...Ford's cab is the best.

The Ford diesel is night and day quicker. The Ford cabin is a little quieter on the highway. I prefer the feel of the brakes on the RAM. I also think the RAM tracks slightly better down the road. Fuel economy seems to be a wash...which is not good for RAM considering I'm operating a detuned engine. I *had* to upgrade the instrument cluster that came in my Tradesman. It is the worst cluster I've ever seen in a "work truck;" does not even display engine coolant temp without scrolling through a menu on the small EVIC. A Ford XL Super Duty gives you six analog gauges and a similar basic message center.

Now, the upline RAM 7" display I have now is very nice. One complaint is that some of the fonts are pretty small. One in particular is the average mpg display on the gas mileage screen.

The radio in the RAM, even the base Tradesman, sounds pretty good.

RBAT

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
nope, they can call it whatever they want
Until a couple of weeks ago when I had my Ram inspected. The mechanic was taking a long time finishing up on the computer so he could issue the inspection sticker. He finally looked up and said they didn't have a 2017 Dodge truck listed. I told him it isn't a Dodge, it is a Ram. Got my sticker then.

Last edited:

Tsys100718

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Why do you think they are better? I recently bought my first RAM coming off from six Ford Super Duty trucks which were all excellent. For me, I can find things I like about the RAM better and things I like about the Ford better.
Just TRY to order a Ford OR a General Motors(Chevy/GMC) with a diesel AND a MANUAL transmission! I cannot wait for the 2019 3500's to be orderable!!!

mrsocks

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I am under the impression that Dodge began with Ram as a "badge". It has intentionally, or not, evolved into an actual name. I find both interchangeable on websites, catalogues, literature and even on the truck. Thank goodness for Madison avenue!

troverman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins 6.7L
Just TRY to order a Ford OR a General Motors(Chevy/GMC) with a diesel AND a MANUAL transmission! I cannot wait for the 2019 3500's to be orderable!!!

That's why I bought this RAM...strictly for the Cummins / G56 option. But the rumor is that there is no manual transmission on the 2019 trucks.

GunnerJ

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
You do know that Cummins is NOT a division of FCA, right? Cummins INC. made diesel engines for OTR trucks LONG before Dodge approached them to design a downsized version.
Yes, im fully aware that cummins is an independent company that goes back to 1919, but whenever i call the parts store i tell them 2011 dodge 2500 cummins right off the bat to keep things speedy

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

racerx20

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I try to correct people who call it a Dodge by letting them know Ram and Dodge split in 2012. But it really bugs me that various auto part and modification sites still call it a Dodge.

Chrysler Capital held the loan on my 2015 "Ram"...they called it a Dodge Ram on my account login page ;)

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
You do know that Cummins is NOT a division of FCA, right? Cummins INC. made diesel engines for OTR trucks LONG before Dodge approached them to design a downsized version.

Not quite. They didn't approach them to build a downsized engine, the B series 5.9 was an existing, widely used medium duty, industrial engine that they figured out how to wedge into the Dodge truck. That is the main reason it was not dummed down, and cheapened up by the bean counters, and proved so durable.

Walt2137

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Well you have got to give Fiat credit for doing what no one else including AMG could do for the last 35 to 40 yrs is build a quality car and truck.
I have been going to Dealer Auto sales for over 25 yrs and now used FCA vehicles are selling above trade in and in a lot of cases at or above retail the last few yrs.
I love my Dodge truck, oh heck i mean Ram

corneileous

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4X4
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I try to correct people who call it a Dodge by letting them know Ram and Dodge split in 2012. But it really bugs me that various auto part and modification sites still call it a Dodge.

Ram and Dodge Split in 09. The 2010 was the first model year to be recognized as just Ram.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sportram1500

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Sport 4x4 CC
Engine
5.7L Hemi
I have had 3 Dodge trucks and 1 Ram. When speaking of my Ram, Dodge definitely slips out every now and again. :sorry:

Cruzman

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
My only issue is that when I go to the auto parts store if I say Dodge they can not look up any parts for my "Dodge Ram" :)

TerraNewf

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
I owned a 1984 Dodge Ram half ton and the advertising on TV back then was "Dodge trucks are Ram tough". It even had a Rams head on the bonnet.

slacadjuster

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L
On the one hand, it's just semantic b.s. and who really cares. On the other hand, it's been a decade and even aftermarket companies still call the brand Dodge.

Just curious about your opinions. Being completely honest, it does bug me a bit.

I'll tell you what REALLY bugs me. When people call my truck a CAR. And when people in general call pick up trucks CARS.

Hootbro

U.S. Army Veteran
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 1500 Express 4x4
Engine
Pentastar 3.6L
I'll tell you what REALLY bugs me. When people call my truck a CAR. And when people in general call pick up trucks CARS.

If you want to see panties bunched, go on a Jeep Wrangler forum and call it a "car".

f69tele

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Not so much. I know it’s a Ram. What bugs me more is when it’s implied or referred to as a goat when it’s really a sheep!
Goats are either billies or nannies. Sheep are ewes or Rams. Ok, rant over. [emoji854]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk