Does the 6.4 have lifter issues like the 5.7??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Hi all! Had to have my 2013 5.7 rebuild after a lifter went out and wiped a lobe on my camshaft at 139k miles. Pretty bummed that the motor had to be rebuilt that early. That was a year ago.

Well, 50k miles later, I’m considering getting into a 2018 or 2019 Power Wagon.

My question is this...what do I need to know about the 6.4L, other than it’s a thirsty girl? Do they have lifter issues? Hemi-tick? I’m a little gun-shy after the problems with my 5.7.

Thanks!

GsRAM

Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 Dodge Ram 2500
Engine
Hemi, 6.4L
No cam/lifter issues on the 6.4 that I'm aware of or later versions of the 5.7. 2013 was a known year for cam issues in the 5.7 I believe.

The 6.4 is a purpose built truck engine and is a beast. I love mine. Lots of juice, more than I need.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Yes, the 6.4 has a serious issue with MDS lifters going out. I'm on my 4th set, each time FCA has had a 10k+ unit back order. It's not isolated to the 6.4, the bad lifters are in ever Hemi engine made.

Jbyron

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No cam/lifter issues on the 6.4 that I'm aware of or later versions of the 5.7. 2013 was a known year for cam issues in the 5.7 I believe.

The 6.4 is a purpose built truck engine and is a beast. I love mine. Lots of juice, more than I need.
I believe it was 2012 and before, with the frequency in issues declining after as old lifter and cam stock ran out

OP
OP
G

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ugh...
Yes, the 6.4 has a serious issue with MDS lifters going out. I'm on my 4th set, each time FCA has had a 10k+ unit back order. It's not isolated to the 6.4, the bad lifters are in ever Hemi engine made.

Wow I hate to hear this....wonder if the 2018’s will have or are having problems.

crazy jerry

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine

huh. why not try non mds lifters after the first or second failure ? ive heard of the mds lifters going bad but it didnt seem to be nearly as wide spread as you make it out to be. if mine go bad, surely i wont put the same thing back in and expect a different result

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
huh. why not try non mds lifters after the first or second failure ? ive heard of the mds lifters going bad but it didnt seem to be nearly as wide spread as you make it out to be. if mine go bad, surely i wont put the same thing back in and expect a different result

He could still be under warranty

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

OP
OP
G

geauxtac260

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Yeah I assumed he was under warranty and FCA would only replace with factory parts ‍♂️.

When the lifters went out on my 5.7 I replaced with non-mds lifters.

I just hate to make this mistake again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. But the 1500 forum is FULL of lifter/cam issues. Heavy dusty thread not so much.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

Good lord you must have some other issue like geometry being off or something. I understand stuff happening but 4 sets of lifters is unacceptable.

U&A

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 3500 SRW
Engine
6.4 HEMI
Yeah I assumed he was under warranty and FCA would only replace with factory parts ‍[emoji3603].

When the lifters went out on my 5.7 I replaced with non-mds lifters.

I just hate to make this mistake again. Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me. But the 1500 forum is FULL of lifter/cam issues. Heavy dusty thread not so much.

Because the 6.4 is still young. More will show up. But it helps that the 6.4 recommends a 0W 40 that is basically 30 weight....(PUP0w40). It shears down to basically a 30w in like 500 miles. Either way it’s still a good 30 weight.

On the other hand most people run the stupid thin CAFE/EPA forced 20 weight in the 400 HP 5.7 PUSHROD V8. That is not a great plan and we have discussed it hundreds of times in the synthetic oil thread to extreme extent.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Good lord you must have some other issue like geometry being off or something. I understand stuff happening but 4 sets of lifters is unacceptable.

Nope. Same problem in every MDS Hemi. They all use the same part number. My real beef is Melling makes the lifters and has them in stock...but FCA refuses to buy them in smaller quantities so BO's stack up and customer's vehicles go unwarrantied.

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi

Sure, swap lifters, cam, and ECU plus pull radiator, AC condenser, oil pan, and all drive accessories. Would you like to cut me a check for $3k and cover all other engine and transmission warranty on my 3yo truck with 29k miles?

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Yeah this is the first I have heard of 6.4 having this issue. There was the wrist pin issue which I see has recently claimed another victim on here. For the most part I think that one was isolated to a small amount of VIN numbers. Kind of makes me nervous as I have a 2016 too. I thought that issue was around the 2014's.

68PowerWagon

Reaction score
Ram Year
2022 Laramie 3500
Engine
6.7 CTD
Woops... Don's is a 2014. I could have sworn when I read that yesterday he said it was a 2016.

22hemi13

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 2500 4x4
Engine
My 2500 with 5.7 is at 118k and ruinng strong. No mds in the hd trucks. Love that. My wife’s new to ya 17 with 5.7 will get Tuner and disable mds soon as warranty is up

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
I wonder what total number of problems with lifters is but we will never know. Its just like when I was on the EcoBoost forums I was seeing lots of posts of pistons blowing out the side of guys blocks with no warning and relatively low miles. In all reality though the EcoBoost is a tough little engine and more likely than not you will have no problem . I think it's the same thing with the hemi. There are so many trucks with the hemi that dont have problems vs ones that do

reloaderguy

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 Power Wagon
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I wonder what total number of problems with lifters is but we will never know. Its just like when I was on the EcoBoost forums I was seeing lots of posts of pistons blowing out the side of guys blocks with no warning and relatively low miles. In all reality though the EcoBoost is a tough little engine and more likely than not you will have no problem . I think it's the same thing with the hemi. There are so many trucks with the hemi that dont have problems vs ones that do

There's been a continuous 10k+ BO on the MDS lifters for two years straight and no back orders on the non MDS lifters. Do you think that's because it hardly ever happens and the internet is where whiners congregate or because MDS lifters are problematic?

If I were buying a new truck tomorrow it wouldn't be a 6.4 Hemi because of the MDS lifters. You're free to make up your own mind but a warranty is worthless when the parts are back ordered for a month an a half. Call around and ask to buy MDS lifters.

Iron Outlaw

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4
There's been a continuous 10k+ BO on the MDS lifters for two years straight and no back orders on the non MDS lifters. Do you think that's because it hardly ever happens and the internet is where whiners congregate or because MDS lifters are problematic?

If I were buying a new truck tomorrow it wouldn't be a 6.4 Hemi because of the MDS lifters. You're free to make up your own mind but a warranty is worthless when the parts are back ordered for a month an a half. Call around and ask to buy MDS lifters.

Well that sucks. I'm well out of warranty. Guess I need to tighten up on oil changes and keep them healthy. If I end up with that problem I'd try to slide a new lifter in there and trade it in for a Cummins.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joeyoliver45