Electrical system shuts off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
My 2005 Power Wagon has an electrical problem. It starts ok and runs but the electrical system randomly shuts off. The headlamps, interior dash lights, radio, etc. all shut off as well as the engine. Then it restarts with no issues. After an electrical failure, restart and later shutting the truck off...when I returned to the truck to continue my errands I noticed the factory alarm light dimly on (not flashing) and a buzzing sound. When I start the truck, everything is fine. This occurred while the temperature was -30C.

I did a bit of research and it led me to the TIPM that might be the problem. I plan to checked all battery cable terminals and other contacts as well.

Is there anything else I should be checking? How to I check the TIPM?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Hemi395

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 Hemi
Before getting a TIPM, I would check all of the grounds. Chrysler's are known for bad/corroded body grounds. Could very well be the TIPM but I would check the grounds first since that's free.

A good source for electrical diagrams to show where the grounds are is alldatadiy.com. It's a good thing to have anyway and it's only $30/year.

OP
OP
Old Fart

Old Fart

Reaction score
Ram Year
2005 Power Wagon
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Sorry for the delay in updating this thread. I did clean up all the grounds and also replaced the crankshaft position sensor. The truck hasn't shut off on it's own since. Thanks again for the advice!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mohamed elgalal