Engine Rebuild / Camshaft Search

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtk821

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hey everyone. I am going to rebuild my motor soon. It is a 360 with about 240,000 on it now. I planned on doing a stock rebuild but putting a different Camshaft in it for towing.

I have a 24' enclosed car trailer I tow with it from time to time loaded and unloaded. Also I plan on getting a 26' boat soon. I am looking for something with power / torque to haul these well.

I don't know a lot about the spec's and anything, I can assemble a motor easily so looking for some help on what would my best option be.

Thanks!

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
I would recommend not messing with camshafts on stock heads and intake. You won't really gain anything reasonable, the factory setup is already a pretty efficient tq setup. Anything you do camshaft wise will also require custom tuning.

Reaction score
Ram Year
2012 Ram 1500 Larime
Engine
Hemi
Hey every one. I have a 1979 Lil Red Express truck And I too Am going to rebuild the 360.
Did that engine have any different innards?
(i.e.) Cam ,,Heads etc?

THANKS

dapepper9

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L V8
Hey every one. I have a 1979 Lil Red Express truck And I too Am going to rebuild the 360.
Did that engine have any different innards?
(i.e.) Cam ,,Heads etc?

THANKS
Short answer, yes. They are very similar but at the same time totally different. Cranks, rods, pistons, cams can be interchanged but that's about as far as it goes without costing a small fortune in machine work.