Engine running rich W/high idle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8792D150

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hi everyone, happy to be here. I've been doing a lot of reading of everyone's posts and trying to pick on everybody's brain so to speak. I have a 92' and an '87 D150 both short beds. The '87 has a 318 with an automatic trans. I've been doing some work on her trying to get her all back together before I try to pass it through inspection. The truck is pretty much unmolested except for the exhaust system. She idles kinda high and smells like she is getting to much fuel because that's all I smell. Somewhere down the line the stock exhaust system was dumped and a home made duel exhaust system was put in and its just straight piped. No mufflers and no cats. I'm trying to figure out what could be causing the symptoms. Does this year have an oxygen sensor? I went to the junkyard today and came up on an '86 and an '87 and could not find a oxygen sensor location on both, just the cats. I looked from the exhaust manifolds to the very back. The previous owner told me it was the electric choke, but I tested it 3 times and it works just fine. Could it be that the carb just needs to be rebuilt, its pretty dirty to me and looks like the stock original. The carb is a Holley 2280, looks like its a feedback carb. Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys.