Etorque battery voltage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
good day gents….
I have a 2021 Ram with the 5.7 etorque and I notice the gauge for battery voltage only ever reads 13.5 or 13.6.
On any vehicle I have ever owned, a good alternator will charge at up to 14 v after you start your engine and deplete battery. I know how to check battery voltage/ drain as well as alternator output but I know NOTHING about this etorque system. I don’t have an issue, truck starts etc etc but it is fully loaded with electric kit and I don’t wanna go into winter where everything will be on to find I have an issue.
I have read posts elsewhere but everyone seems to have different voltage with etorque. I believe that the large 48v battery tops up the normal 12v system correct?
I think what I am after here is reassuring that all is well!
new truck, new worries etc!
I do like this etorque, it is so smooth changing gears and it definitely gives and extra boost on take off if you need

many thanks fellas. I own a battery charger, spare batteries, jumper cables, battery maintainer AND another vehicle so not a huge drama!

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I have a 2021 1500 V6 version and my battery voltage,on the gauge, reads the same as yours. I have no way of knowing, but I suspect the 48 volt etorque system is more of a big capacitor than an actual battery, based on what I have read and how it seems to operate.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
So, you have presumably no issues? As long as there is 12.8v to crank when you need it should work!
I put every load on the system I could today and battery went to 12.4, but once started up it went to 13v immediately. I am so used to seeing 14ish at the battery after initial start with my old truck with high capacity alternator. Even my other half’s Renegade read 14v
Oh well, that’s what the warranty is for.
thanks for taking time to reply

PoMansRam

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
Like said above, you're talking two totally different systems. The charging system for the vehicle's electrical system and the juice supplied to the E-Torque "drive motor" are two totally separate entities.

I would imagine when E-torque goes into 'motor mode', it pulls only from the 48VDC suitcase behind the seats.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I THINK from what I have read only that the 48v system has the ability to recharge/back up the 12v system. Someone posted a very good video on here describing the etorque and what it does. I have no issue with it, it’s seamless and completely’behind the scenes’
I think my wife is right, if I don’t have something to worry about I will invent it!

mb33458

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
V6 etorque
I only have about 200 miles on my truck, but so far so good.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Which torque? 5.7. What does your battery gauge read? I met a bloke only today with a Limited and his was slap bang on 14v

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
I’m sorry you already answered that one!
I am a new boy at this. Can’t keep the posts in order.
thank you tho and glad we both like our etorques!

RBJRBJ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7L V8 MDS VVT eTorque Engine
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and e-torque. While I can’t address your battery issue, the link below is an interview with one of the eTorque engineers who simplifies the explanation about eTorque and six things it does while driving a vehicle equipped with it. It is a straight-forward, well presented and worth watching the video:
https://youtu.be/Nwnw452p2ZA

Secondly, having had battery issues with previous vehicles equipped with all of the electronic add-ons where something is always pulling a charge from the 12V battery, if my truck is not being driven for 3 days or more, I simply keep the battery connected to a Battery Tender to maintain a full charge. Peace of mind.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Yes exactly,RBJRBJ
I have been thinking along those lines. What with the power running boards popping in and out, all the Xmas tree lights inside( although they do look nice) and the fact I mostly do short trips I intend to keep my battery maintainer very close to hand, especially in the winter!
thanks for that video link, very informative indeed

KalboKalbs

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
21 Longhorn Limited
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 with the 5.7L Hemi and e-torque. While I can’t address your battery issue, the link below is an interview with one of the eTorque engineers who simplifies the explanation about eTorque and six things it does while driving a vehicle equipped with it. It is a straight-forward, well presented and worth watching the video:
https://youtu.be/Nwnw452p2ZA

Secondly, having had battery issues with previous vehicles equipped with all of the electronic add-ons where something is always pulling a charge from the 12V battery, if my truck is not being driven for 3 days or more, I simply keep the battery connected to a Battery Tender to maintain a full charge. Peace of mind.

Excellent video. Thanks for posting.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
So my battery voltage is all over the place with this etorque. Not flat, just strange behavior.
this happened today while I was driving. I can’t find any reference in hand books to the little yellow light displayed there. It MUST mean low voltage. Thoughts? Voltage is low, just after start.
The gauge will not show higher than 13.6v and it was originally showing 13.9…….I thought that low. On initial start, crank amps down to 12.4 then up to 13.9. Now, it’s anywhere even though it is charging across battery with voltmeter.
I went to dealer they say anything over 12.8 is charged battery. Well, how come it was showing that that little yellow light and 12.5v then and driving down road at 45mph?
Does anyone actually know for certain what this small yellow light is?
only ref to battery lights is normal battery warning red light, which I don’t have.

thanks fellas…..

Attachments

• 2F36D762-8B0E-4C0F-917C-4B3C9DCCF30D.jpeg
    2F36D762-8B0E-4C0F-917C-4B3C9DCCF30D.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 30

Tach_tech

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7L HEMI
That little yellow light right under voltage just shows you’re on page 8 of 10 of the info screen, if you scroll left/right the yellow light will move.

Vehicles have been using pulse width modulated alternators for quite awhile now. This allows the alternator to only output exactly what is needed and no more. This technically lowers engine load which can help increase fuel efficiency.

The PCM monitors the charging system pretty well to the point it will request a specific output from the alternator, if that’s not met you will get a CEL/battery light coming on.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
$&@?!
I had hoped by now everyone would have forgotten ‘the little yellow light’
I finally figured out what it was whilst scrolling through the screens. My wife said ‘ well I hope you don’t let on what it was you tool’ I THINK you can figure what she meant!
Apparently you picked up on it!
aeriousy though, thanks for clarifying why my voltage varies so much.
I haven’t had any issues at all with this in the 3mths and 1700 miles I’ve had it.

OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
Nice article.
thanks for those vehicle figures…….exactly what I have been looking for!
I have now stopped looking and worrying about this. All is well, all seems well and I have USAA breakdown cover as well as the factory one, spare battery, charger, jump leads, battery maintainer, PLUS a spare vehicle so what is the problem Clive? ( that’s me by the way!)
Tach Techs info on how a modern alternator/ etorque works with demands for power really helped too.

Denny B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I did a little test today. I plugged in a digital voltmeter into the 12v accessory socket and went for a drive. The purpose was to compare the RAM instrument panel voltmeter to another voltmeter. They both read the same voltages.

Note: You are looking at the "socket voltmeter" upside down (because that's the only way it would plug in). :oops:

Attachments

• 20210830_144000.jpg
    20210830_144000.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 20210830_144021.jpg
    20210830_144021.jpg
    105.4 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
British Bulldog

British Bulldog

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7 etorque
So basically, the truck volt meter is pretty accurate. Again, similar to my own. At least we know all okay! Nice to know.
I really am pleased with this vehicle. Touch wood, NO issues whatsoever so far, May 31st pick up.

Denny B

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
So basically, the truck volt meter is pretty accurate. Again, similar to my own. At least we know all okay! Nice to know.
I really am pleased with this vehicle. Touch wood, NO issues whatsoever so far, May 31st pick up.
Me too! :)