Exhaust Manifolds | Warped

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I'd get 'em in a heartbeat if they made 'em for the 6.4. But they don't, and they won't. The HD truck frame comes up higher on the engine and is harder to retrofit.

One thing i've never heard tried on the HD's is the 6.4 Jeep manifolds,or even the 6.4 car manifolds. I've kind of wondered if either of those manifolds would clear the HD frame.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2017 2500 Laramie Crew Cab
Engine
6.4L HEMI
One thing i've never heard tried on the HD's is the 6.4 Jeep manifolds,or even the 6.4 car manifolds. I've kind of wondered if either of those manifolds would clear the HD frame.

I doubt it. I crawled under there last summer to size up the space claim. It's like they shrink-wrapped the truck around the engine. I think the reason is the frame also has to take the ****** inline 6 diesel.....which is a lot taller engine. So that is the baseline for where the engine mounts go, dropping the V8 Hemi way down in there.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
I doubt it. I crawled under there last summer to size up the space claim. It's like they shrink-wrapped the truck around the engine. I think the reason is the frame also has to take the ****** inline 6 diesel.....which is a lot taller engine. So that is the baseline for where the engine mounts go, dropping the V8 Hemi way down in there.

The 6.4 Jeep or car manifolds,are basically a block hugger style shorty header.Might be something to look into a little more.

ripping r

Old&Grumpy
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 HEMI
The 6.4 Jeep or car manifolds,are basically a block hugger style shorty header.Might be something to look into a little more.
Are they case iron? And do the cars and jeeps break bolts like the trucks.

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
They're pretty well indestructable when it comes to not breaking the bolts like the trucks do.

Driver Left Exhaust Manifold 6.4L Fits 15-17 CHALLENGER 321979 | eBay

Thanks much for link, but unsure how to trial fit without a CAD model of the assembly. Short of buying it and trying it approach.

Couldn't find who makes these - the site's owner simply wouldn't allow the truck to be a fit vehicle, so who knows? They don't put the 6.4 in Jeeps, do they? 6.4 has higher gas flow than 5.7 so I'm thinking it's important to match the exact engine.

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine
Thanks much for link, but unsure how to trial fit without a CAD model of the assembly. Short of buying it and trying it approach.

Couldn't find who makes these - the site's owner simply wouldn't allow the truck to be a fit vehicle, so who knows? They don't put the 6.4 in Jeeps, do they? 6.4 has higher gas flow than 5.7 so I'm thinking it's important to match the exact engine.

Ever heard of an SRT8 Jeep,lol.They've been putting the 6.4 in Jeeps for quite a few years now,plus the early 14 to 16 SRT8 Jeeps came through with a high stall torque convertor.Up till the Track Hawk came out the SRT8 Jeeps were one of the fastest SUV's you could buy.I don't know if FCA makes the manifolds in house or if they're contracted out though.They're basically a shorty exhaust manifold.It's not uncommon to put the 6.4 car manifolds and midpipes onto the 5.7 cars,as it's a fairly cheap upgrade. I did that on my wifes old 2016 5.7 Challenger,and it woke the car right up,and took a good 3/10's off it's track times for her,and that was on an untuned 5.7 Challenger,if i'd tuned it,the manifolds would of probably been good for another tenth or 2 more.Sometimes you got to suck it up and spend some money to find out if a mod works or not,if nobody experimented,we'd still be driving Model T's,lol

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Ever heard of an SRT8 Jeep,lol.They've been putting the 6.4 in Jeeps for quite a few years now,plus the early 14 to 16 SRT8 Jeeps came through with a high stall torque convertor.Up till the Track Hawk came out the SRT8 Jeeps were one of the fastest SUV's you could buy.I don't know if FCA makes the manifolds in house or if they're contracted out though.They're basically a shorty exhaust manifold.It's not uncommon to put the 6.4 car manifolds and midpipes onto the 5.7 cars,as it's a fairly cheap upgrade. I did that on my wifes old 2016 5.7 Challenger,and it woke the car right up,and took a good 3/10's off it's track times for her,and that was on an untuned 5.7 Challenger,if i'd tuned it,the manifolds would of probably been good for another tenth or 2 more.Sometimes you got to suck it up and spend some money to find out if a mod works or not,if nobody experimented,we'd still be driving Model T's,lol

Nope - I didn't follow all the nutty things the Chrysler guys did. Don't worry - Peugeot & the greenies are putting an end to all of that. Besides, it is a bit of a niche to have a racing SUV!

I googled after your suggested - indeed there are shorty headers for 6.4 SRT's in Jeeps. Kooks makes a beauty for $1,200 a set. But I'd need midpipes and mods, probably just end up at a full set of ARH long tubes for $1,700 anyway. Thx for ideas, tho.

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine

Wild one

Reaction score
Ram Year
14 Sport
Engine

The Jeep ones are supposed to fit,but i don't think the car versions do.The early 6.1 SRT Jeeps and the later SRT 6.4 jeeps i think use the same manifolds from what i've heard,and i know there's been a few guys stick them on a 5.7 1500,but in all honesty you're probably just about as far ahead with a set of JBA or similiar shorty headers on a 1500,it's more for the 3/4 tons that don't have a set of carb legal shorties where you might want to try the Jeep manifolds

BlownGP

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 RAM Harvest New Holland Blue
Engine
The Jeep ones are supposed to fit,but i don't think the car versions do.The early 6.1 SRT Jeeps and the later SRT 6.4 jeeps i think use the same manifolds from what i've heard,and i know there's been a few guys stick them on a 5.7 1500,but in all honesty you're probably just about as far ahead with a set of JBA or similiar shorty headers on a 1500,it's more for the 3/4 tons that don't have a set of carb legal shorties where you might want to try the Jeep manifolds

Thanks for the info.
It probably would be more trouble than it's worth.

racerx909

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hello everyone. I'm building my list to replace my gaskets and manifold bolts. It seems that Remflex 6022 gaskets seem to be preferred over the Fel-Pro option, but I noticed that the Remflex gaskets don't have a heat shield. Is this an issue?

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
Read this whole thread a couple times, I know I have some snapped bolts so it is what it is. Ill get them out somehow. Not the reason for this post.

Here is what I've gathered from this thread so far:

#1 Using your OEM warped Headers and resurfacing them is the cheapest option (and ironically the least likely to re-occur thanks to "seasoning")
#2 Remflex Gaskets is the Gaskets you want to use
#3 Using Shorty Headers with a thicker flange can also help eliminate warping over time

So now I'm left with the decision to:

1. Upgrade to Shorty Headers (I cant afford long tube headers right now and didn't get an answer yet on if you need a tune to run them)
  2. Resurface the OEM headers and replace the gaskets and bolts.
I found these through an Ebay search. Curious if I should be looking for better quality or if these will suffice. I will still be using Remflex.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284156425628?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

They have a 7/16 flange so I'm assuming they are going to be pretty rugged. Anyone have any input to steer me in the right direction?

Tick started about 3 months ago and is getting worse with time so I want to address it very soon if possible.
Thank you for any advice in advance.

Blstrick55

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

HEMIMANN

Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4L HEMI
Shorty headers don't add much if any performance. If you just want a manifold that won't leak and break bolts again, machine down the OEM's. Should be cheapest option.

Btw, FCA / Stellantis / Whoever-they-are-now will replace yours free of charge if still under warranty. However, by policy, they will only put on new ones - not machine the old ones - so they will eventually warp, break bolts, and leak again. Stupid.

Now, if you want to replace with a header that actually does improve performance, only long tubes will do that. ARH seems to be preferred brand here.

Fast69Mopar

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.7 HEMI
Read this whole thread a couple times, I know I have some snapped bolts so it is what it is. Ill get them out somehow. Not the reason for this post.

Here is what I've gathered from this thread so far:

#1 Using your OEM warped Headers and resurfacing them is the cheapest option (and ironically the least likely to re-occur thanks to "seasoning")
#2 Remflex Gaskets is the Gaskets you want to use
#3 Using Shorty Headers with a thicker flange can also help eliminate warping over time

So now I'm left with the decision to:

1. Upgrade to Shorty Headers (I cant afford long tube headers right now and didn't get an answer yet on if you need a tune to run them)
  2. Resurface the OEM headers and replace the gaskets and bolts.
I found these through an Ebay search. Curious if I should be looking for better quality or if these will suffice. I will still be using Remflex.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284156425628?chn=ps&mkevt=1&mkcid=28

They have a 7/16 flange so I'm assuming they are going to be pretty rugged. Anyone have any input to steer me in the right direction?

Tick started about 3 months ago and is getting worse with time so I want to address it very soon if possible.
Thank you for any advice in advance.
So far your list looks good. Also, you do not need a tune to run shorty headers or long tubes. You can make more power with the headers and a tune but it is not necessary. Bolt them on and go and then do the tuning later.

MartyZ

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 5.7l Hemi
Ok that's good to know, there is a couple of brands less than $1k in the long tube style I was looking at, I'm just trying to keep this project as affordable but practical as possible. The wife is not gonna be happy hearing the total if if I went full performance and top of the line products. That's what made me start looking at shorty headers, they are half the price of long tube. But if its cost I'm worried about I can get the OEM heads resurfaced for free. I just figured while I'm in there I might as well help out the Hemi a bit.
I'm not necessarily going for performance or gains (while it wouldn't hurt as I'm running 37 13.50s and am losing a lot of power because of it)