Extended Crank issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PapaWolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
This has probably been asked a tonne but, I have a 2016 5.7 Hemi that has had an issue with extended cranks periodically happening since the 3rd month I've owned it. It started after they updated the software during a routine oil change. It never happens at the dealership even though they had it all day before. There is no specific time it happens, just randomly won't start. Turn off turn on and it fires right up.

Fuel pump? relay? Cam sensor?

lpennock

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
5.9L & 6.7L Cummins
Sticking check valve allowing fuel rail to bleed down. Pretty common on older vehicles but possible on a newer. Turn key on and wait a couple seconds before cranking to allow fuel pump to build pressure.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

JohnnyMac

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500 Laramie
Engine
3.0 EcoBurner
What @lpennock said is exactly what happened to my 2000. The fuel rail would bleed pressure after it sit for a few hours and I had to turn the key on and give the fuel pump a few seconds to charge the system before I cranked it or it cranked for a while before it fired. 2016 might be a little new for that, but still certainly possible.

tommy_harrell

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
This has probably been asked a tonne but, I have a 2016 5.7 Hemi that has had an issue with extended cranks periodically happening since the 3rd month I've owned it. It started after they updated the software during a routine oil change. It never happens at the dealership even though they had it all day before. There is no specific time it happens, just randomly won't start. Turn off turn on and it fires right up.

Fuel pump? relay? Cam sensor?

My '14 6.4 when new would crank, and time out and would usually start on the second attempt. I saw a recommendation to unplug the harness above the accelerator pedal and reconnect it.

It fixed the issue for me for over 5 years.

OP
OP
P

PapaWolf

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Ok the dealer has tried for 4 yes and found no fix. Grrr I'll try this.

RamCares

Reaction score
Ram Year
n/a
Engine
n/a