Factory gooseneck package or after market

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
I like the idea of being able to pick my truck from the dealer and be done with it, however after looking at the factory set up I can't help but wonder if an after market hitch would be better. I don't really need the extra holes for the fifth wheel and after reading all the problems people are having with the brake controller I am in the middle and need a push in one direction or the other. I really like that the wiring harness does not need to be spliced to add a controller or pig tail

tjfdesmo

Reaction score
I am a firm believer in B&W goosenecks, so I had the dealer install one, just like my last truck. Skip the factory package.

Jrp267

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Go with the factory setup. The rv pages love it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I haven't heard any issues with the stock brake controller in the 2500"s, also the stock 5th wheel prep is nice, well worth the savings. Might as well as get the chmsl camera as well.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Im a little confused by your question (I get confused easily :)) . What are you towing? I had the factory 5th wheel package installed and im not using the other holes either with my fifth wheel. I was looking at price. I think it was approx. $400 seemed very reasonable with a clean look including the whole setup ready to go. But, if i knew about the brake controller i probably would have decided otherwise. I wanted to be able to use my bed (which you can do with a fifth wheel in there, but youll break your back removing it). My andersen hitch weighs around 45 pounds. I had the dealer throw in the gooseneck hitch as part of the purchase deal with the truck (cool little kit that comes with the bag in the photo and has the hitch and the safety chain attachments which i never used cause i dont have the right hooks yet . Thats why i went with the andersen. I can easily remove it and throw it on the garage wall when i dont need it. Plus it easily pulls all that weight with awesome smoothness! I couldnt be happier. You have to consider your future needs also. The brake controller will work on a smaller trailer but not one like mine, so depending on what youre towing and what you need......
Oh btw, you can get approx. 90 degrees with the andersen and not hit your truck :)

http://www.ramforum.com/members/cc_rider-albums-2013_torque_301_toy_hauler.html

I like the idea of being able to pick my truck from the dealer and be done with it, however after looking at the factory set up I can't help but wonder if an after market hitch would be better. I don't really need the extra holes for the fifth wheel and after reading all the problems people are having with the brake controller I am in the middle and need a push in one direction or the other. I really like that the wiring harness does not need to be spliced to add a controller or pig tail

Last edited:

cptwing

Reaction score
Ram Year
2014 3500 ST DRW REG CAB
Engine
6.4l Hemi
Im a little confused by your question (I get confused easily :)) . What are you towing? I had the factory 5th wheel package installed and im not using the other holes either with my fifth wheel. I was looking at price. I think it was approx. $400 seemed very reasonable with a clean look including the whole setup ready to go. But, if i knew about the brake controller i probably would have decided otherwise. I wanted to be able to use my bed (which you can do with a fifth wheel in there, but youll break your back removing it). My andersen hitch weighs around 45 pounds. I had the dealer throw in the gooseneck hitch as part of the purchase deal with the truck (cool little kit that comes with the bag in the photo and has the hitch and the safety chain attachments which i never used cause i dont have the right hooks yet . Thats why i went with the andersen. I can easily remove it and throw it on the garage wall when i dont need it. Plus it easily pulls all that weight with awesome smoothness! I couldnt be happier. You have to consider your future needs also. The brake controller will work on a smaller trailer but not one like mine, so depending on what youre towing and what you need......
Oh btw, you can get approx. 90 degrees with the andersen and not hit your truck :)

http://www.ramforum.com/members/cc_rider-albums-2013_torque_301_toy_hauler.html

Dam you got like all the bases covered. Question why the raised andersen goose neck hitch vrs the bed height gooseneck ball. Is the Andersen used to pull the fiver with a gooseneck conversion on the trailer? Also what gears are you running 373 or 410?

OP
OP
B

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Well my issue is there are 5 holes in the bed with the factory set up. One for the ball and four others to attach the fiver bracket. I pull a flatbed trailer so I'll never use the fifth wheel set up. So my issue is with the other holes in the bed really. Nothing with the actual quality or set up of the actual gooseneck ball itself

avolnek

Reaction score
Ram Year
2015 Ram 2500 CCLB
Engine
Well my issue is there are 5 holes in the bed with the factory set up. One for the ball and four others to attach the fiver bracket. I pull a flatbed trailer so I'll never use the fifth wheel set up. So my issue is with the other holes in the bed really. Nothing with the actual quality or set up of the actual gooseneck ball itself

Then skip the factory setup and use the B&W setup. The truck will already have a cross member under neath that the B&W will just bolt to. I feel the B&W is more user friendly than the factory offered setup.

theviking

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 6.4

All the holes are covered with plugs which still sit beneath the level of the bed ridges. So nothing interferes with the usability of the bed when not in use. I'm sure there are better options but for the price it's hard to beat.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I loooked at getting the gooseneck adapter for the trailer and just going to the bed like youre talking about. I read a lot about added stress with the adapters and it would void the warranty on the trailer frame. the andersen doesnt void the warranty. Im not sure how the other goose adapters hook up (never used one) but the andersen has the "adapter" that you mount to the kingping which youll see in the picture. It just gets bolted on with some monster bolts and the ball of the hitch rides inside there pivitong in any direction nice and smoothly. No grease is needed. The cable just pushes a pin that keeps the two secured. With this setup I would imagine the trailer will "float" more during travel than if it was hooked at the bed. But wwhat do i know :). 4.10 gears There are different hitches btw. Mine is the newer aluminum one and i think it was aroun $650 The chains you see in the pic are the ones that go with the hitch but the hooks dont fit around the bed safety chain hooks that come with the ram kit

https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Andersen/AM3225.html

Dam you got like all the bases covered. Question why the raised andersen goose neck hitch vrs the bed height gooseneck ball. Is the Andersen used to pull the fiver with a gooseneck conversion on the trailer? Also what gears are you running 373 or 410?

OP
OP
B

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Thanks for the feedback. This will be my first ever new truck and I am replacing a 97 GMC 2500 with the vortec 350 and 351,000 miles. The heaviest thing I tow is a john deere 4020 with a plow or 8ft cutter so my trailer brakes probably will not work with the factory controller from what I've read on this site. I don't haul long distance, 20 miles one way at the most and only once a month or so during the warmer months. I am just trying to research everything I can because I will be keeping this truck a loooooong time, if the good Lord is willing.

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Thanks for the feedback. This will be my first ever new truck and I am replacing a 97 GMC 2500 with the vortec 350 and 351,000 miles. The heaviest thing I tow is a john deere 4020 with a plow or 8ft cutter so my trailer brakes probably will not work with the factory controller from what I've read on this site. I don't haul long distance, 20 miles one way at the most and only once a month or so during the warmer months. I am just trying to research everything I can because I will be keeping this truck a loooooong time, if the good Lord is willing.

What? There is no way you put that many miles on an HD gas truck without a first gear hold "feature". ;)

I can't comment on the gooseneck package since I have a BW, but I never had any issues with the trailer brake controller even when towing my 13k lb RV. I would also recommend putting a LSD(limited slip differential) on that list of wants if you are pulling that tractor near crop fields that have the potential to get muddy.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
That's cause you have a 14. Noone that has a 14 is affected. Only guys with 15s are complaining. I'm pretty sure we came to this conclusion in the brake controller thread. You can call the dealer to confirm. You have about the same size rv that I do so.......

I never had any issues with the trailer brake controller even when towing my 13k lb RV.

OP
OP
B

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Texan for sure I am getting the 4.10 LSD and 4x4. I am very particular with what I want so probably going to have to order the truck. Still trying to figure out if I want the air leveler or a 2500 or 3500 srw. I'm not in too big a hurry so I've got another couple weeks before I lay the cash on the barrel head

SouthTexan

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
408 CTD
Texan for sure I am getting the 4.10 LSD and 4x4. I am very particular with what I want so probably going to have to order the truck. Still trying to figure out if I want the air leveler or a 2500 or 3500 srw. I'm not in too big a hurry so I've got another couple weeks before I lay the cash on the barrel head

If that tractor is the heaviest thing you tow then a 2500 with a starting payload of over 3,100 lbs in a Crew Cab 4x4 would be more than enough. I debated airbags as well due to how tall the truck is. Although I haven't hit my bed yet, my old gooseneck cattle trailer is closer than I would like while my newer gooseneck flatbed and RV give me much more clearance. Having the ability to lower the back end in "alternative trailer height" mode would be nice when towing my cattle trailer, but I ultimately decided against it for reasons. The one option that I do wish I had was the rear bed camera although my Jerry rigged setup mounting an aftermarket licence plate camera to the front of the bed and hooking it up to my Edge CTS works just as well.

Last edited:

R/T_Fire

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I'm a huge fan of B&W but with using the F450 on the Farm It made me a believer in the simplicity and clean easy use for the plate to 5th wheel conversion. The biggest issue I always had with the B&W hide-a-ball or turn over ball is when the truck is used to haul anything other than a trailer debris gets all in the system and fowls its operation making it very annoying... the Stock f450 system never had that problem and I believe they are pretty much the same between Ford and Ram

OP
OP
B

Boudreaux

Reaction score
Ram Year
2016 ram 2500 4x4
Engine
Southtexan I am glad you brought that up. I saw the cargo camera third brake light option and was hoping it would make it easier to hook up my trailer. I assume it gives a good view of the ball? I currently have a hide away folding hitch and it can be a pain to lift out the bed once dirt and grit settle in. I don't remember the brand it's been too many years since I installed it.

Ratket

Reaction score
Ram Year
2018 1500
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Factory goose neck set up with the Anderson hitch and done.. my brother has it for his 5th wheel.. made me kind of wish I had orderd my truck and got it with it. After seeing the Anderson , I personally would never install rails again or deal with a 5th wheel reciecer. It's just to easy to adapt to a gooseneck ball with the Anderson. Just my opinion.

bentpushrod

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
I'm running a B&W turnover ball, with a Reese Goosebox on my camper. https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Reese/RP94622-61301.html It's the only gooseneck approved by Lippert who makes most RV frames that won't void your warranty. It has an air bag built in, and rides like a dream. It replaces your rv's factory pin box. No fifth plate to remove every time you want to use your bed. Best damn thing I ever bought for my camper.

cc rider

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The Andersen will not void your warranty. They put it in writing that they gaurantee no damage with your rv frame or they pick up the tab.

I'm running a B&W turnover ball, with a Reese Goosebox on my camper. https://www.etrailer.com/Gooseneck-and-Fifth-Wheel-Adapters/Reese/RP94622-61301.html It's the only gooseneck approved by Lippert who makes most RV frames that won't void your warranty. It has an air bag built in, and rides like a dream. It replaces your rv's factory pin box. No fifth plate to remove every time you want to use your bed. Best damn thing I ever bought for my camper.