Fifth Wheels By Keystone For 1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

star_deceiver

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.6 Pentastar
I don't understand the point of a 19-20' 5th wheel. You can tow a larger travel trailer just as well with a half ton and have a heck of a lot more trailer without all the headaches of worrying about payload. Within reason.
The point of a small trailer: They fit anywhere!

This was 3 trucks and 3 trailers ago. At 20’ from hitch to bumper you could take the last minute trip and not worry about having to reserve your spot 6 months in advance for the 3 spots in the park that can accommodate your behemoth.
IMG_2219.jpeg

Case in point: I’m parked in another spot here because this 37’ monstrosity takes up every little bit of the site. Once other people showed up we were sardine canned in. Camping with this trailer sucked as the roads and sites in most forest campgrounds were way too small and tight to fit this thing.
IMG_2625.jpeg
In conclusion, I believe it's a good time to make some camping plans!
IMG_20220801_151843.jpg

Last edited:

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
You and a few others are all trying to suggest the 1500 can't tow 8000 pounds. You cherry pick data to try and prove your point, and it's funny because my truck is actually rated to tow more than yours is due to you reaching your GVWR limit before me. You picked math that was suggesting only under very ideal conditions can it do it, when in reality there are far more conditions when it can.

You don't actually have to use the words "you can't do that"; we're all capable of interpreting the math you cherry picked and the conclusions you were implying.

Again remembering the context of what started this, "why would anyone tow with a 1500"; and the answer is "because it absolutely can under many conditions". Yes there are limits, just like there are limits to your truck, and a 3500.

That question is as just as bad as asking "why would anyone tow with a 2500/megacab cummins". The payload is terrible vs a 6.4 or a 3500. Yet you made that decision because it works for you and your setup and probably for many others as well.

Like his "fact" of 15% in caps?

When general number used for TT is 10%, including SAE J2807 which is a standard.

He didn't even bother reading those "links" he thought he was using to prove 20% is a "standard"
One of the even says 15-25. Other two says "usually" around 20%.

Anyways. I've towed just over 10k with my Rebel, was within payload of my truck.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
He didn't even bother reading those "links" he thought he was using to prove 20% is a "standard"
One of the even says 15-25. Other two says "usually" around 20%.
He would probably lose it if he found out boat trailers can run in the 5% to 8% range.
Way too many on this forum base everything on old "rule of thumb" without any actual numbers from truck/trailer combination.

CanRebel

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi
He would probably lose it if he found out boat trailers can run in the 5% to 8% range.
Way too many on this forum base everything on old "rule of thumb" without any actual numbers from truck/trailer combination.

Exactly. Most of the people who keep posting/repeating it. Don't even know why or where the number even come from.

There is few 5th wheel that have same over all weight, but have different pin weight %. e.g. 18% vs 22% it's based on the design.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
The 10% - 15% hitch/tongue weight is for 'travel trailers', not boat or utility trailers. Those have entirely different physics. Although my bass boat's trailer tongue weight is more than I can lift. The 20% - 25% pin weight is/has been industry standard for most 5th-wheels, dependent on GVWR. The lighter the 5th-wheel, the lighter the pin weight can be and not be wagging the dog, but 20% is about as light as you are going to find even on the smallest of them.

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
The 10% - 15% hitch/tongue weight is for 'travel trailers', not boat or utility trailers. Those have entirely different physics. Although my bass boat's trailer tongue weight is more than I can lift. The 20% - 25% pin weight is/has been industry standard for most 5th-wheels, dependent on GVWR. The lighter the 5th-wheel, the lighter the pin weight can be and not be wagging the dog, but 20% is about as light as you are going to find even on the smallest of them.
Boat trailers are designed different. The axles are further back on the frame to support the weight of the engine(s) without lifting the tongue.

Likewise with my bass boat. My boat/trailer package weighs 4200-4400 lbs, depending on fuel level, and I'd say tongue weight is 400+ lbs. Possibly more. No way I can lift it, I've tried.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
Boat trailers are designed different. The axles are further back on the frame to support the weight of the engine(s) without lifting the tongue.

Likewise with my bass boat. My boat/trailer package weighs 4200-4400 lbs, depending on fuel level, and I'd say tongue weight is 400+ lbs. Possibly more. No way I can lift it, I've tried.
Mine only weighs less than 2500#, with all my gear. But I have a Ranger RT178, which is aluminum. Still has a heavy tongue weight, though.

Attachments

• 20200604_NewBoat1.JPG
    20200604_NewBoat1.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 20200604_NewBoat3.JPG
    20200604_NewBoat3.JPG
    249.4 KB · Views: 2

Choupique

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Cummins
Data point: my boat and trailer weigh 5400lbs with 560lbs tongue weight.

dhay13

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
2500 6.4L Hemi 4.10's 'Off-Road'
my boat/trailer weighs 8900lbs and i have about 650lbs TW. Weighed it before and have the slip but this is from memory. Tows great

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Actually, waggin the dog is mostly a bumper pull issue, not a fiver issue. Fifer issue is when going too fast and trying to make a ninety degree corner. Then the trailer will roll the truck because of the high pivot point of the pin box.

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7

A tow behind is a tow behind. Physics are the same. Difference is that when the axle is further back, it is easier to backup.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Have you paid attention to the design of a boat trailer versus a travel trailer or fifth wheel? Not even an apples and oranges comparison. More like apple to meatloaf. Nothing about the two are even remotely similar aside from being a trailer.

The "old rule of thumb" is the standard that most live by in the rv world. 15% TW on a travel trailer is the typical standard that most everyone I've met in my decades of RV'ing use. The RV manufacturers themselves recommend 10-15% on a travel trailer and 18-25% on a fifth wheel. Anything less than 10% on a TT and you introduce a risk of sway. Same concept if you go under 18% of a fifth wheel.

If you've ever towed a travel trailer with a 10% TW, you would understand why and there is enough documentation out there for you to go read to explain it. If you tried to run a travel trailer with a much higher center of gravity at 5-8% it will not end well, but go ahead and give it a whirl. :)

Without going back through all of these posts since my last one, there is a range BECAUSE not all are equal. Get it close with the standard and dial it in with a CAT scale. Should be common sense.

What these types of posts tell me 2 things. 1) You have zero experience towing RVs or 2) You've gotten extremely lucky so far. Hopefully for your sake that continues.

Last edited:

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
A tow behind is a tow behind. Physics are the same. Difference is that when the axle is further back, it is easier to backup.
Keep p!$$in
No... the physics aren't exactly the same. Do you think air flows around a boat equally as compared to a travel trailer or fifth wheel? Do you think the force of that air interacts exactly the same with both?

And I know why you won't post your door sticker. Funny that you'd even chime in knowing that you're likely over on every rating that your truck has.

crash68

ACME product engineer
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
3.0 EcoDiesel
Have you paid attention to the design of a boat trailer versus a travel trailer or fifth wheel? Not even an apples and oranges comparison. More like apple to meatloaf. Nothing about the two are even remotely similar aside from being a trailer.
What your posts tell me is you assume a lot, I never said boat trailer was the same as tt or fiver. Where all trailers are similar is the placement of the axles in anticipation of the designed load. Boat and toy hauler trailer axles have to further set back to deal with back loaded trailer. A lot toy haulers pin weights are heavier unloaded than once the trailer is loaded. There's even fivers and goosenecks axles are not rated for the trailer's full GVWR(how is that possible..).

Riccochet

Reaction score
Ram Year
2020 2500 Laramie Longhorn
Engine
There's even fivers and goosenecks axles are not rated for the trailer's full GVWR(how is that possible..).

That's been covered by a lot of RV reviewers and manufacturers. Once you take 20'ish % of the GVWR and put it on the tow vehicle the axles work.

They sure do like cutting it close though.

Tulecreeper

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.4 Hemi
I have found it is the length of the tongue that dictates the ease of backing. The longer the tongue, the easier it is. A short tongue will get sideways on you right quick.

nlambert182

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
What your posts tell me is you assume a lot, I never said boat trailer was the same as tt or fiver. Where all trailers are similar is the placement of the axles in anticipation of the designed load. Boat and toy hauler trailer axles have to further set back to deal with back loaded trailer. A lot toy haulers pin weights are heavier unloaded than once the trailer is loaded. There's even fivers and goosenecks axles are not rated for the trailer's full GVWR(how is that possible..).
I am aware of that. I believe way back in this thread I mentioned toyhaulers and the pin weights. You still don't calculate that % under the assumption that it will always have something in the back. Isn't always true. Calculate for worst case scenario. Buy enough truck to cover that and the rest won't matter.

Because the axles don't carry the full weight of the fiver. Either the front landing gear or the pinbox carries part of the weight.. hence the 18-25% rule. The axles aren't designed to carry the entire load. Granted, I think the manufacturers way undersize their axles anyhow but this is why.

For example: My previous Chaparral 392MBL has 2 Dexter 7,500 lb axles (15k lbs). The GVWR of the trailer was 16,500 and I ran it at max GVWR. Since the pin weight was around 3,300 lbs, that only put about 13,200 on the axles, leaving a cushion of about 900 lbs on each axle.

At a minimum 15%, you're only leaving about 490 lbs per axle of capacity and making for an extremely light pin weight. While one poster mentioned wagging the dog as a TT specific issue (which it is), porpoising and chucking is not and it becomes a problem on fifth wheels just the same when there is not enough pin weight resting on the truck. Instead of the trailer wagging left or right it is hopping up and down. Equally as dangerous since it can reduce stability of the truck.

At the recommended 20% you leave 900 lbs of available capacity on each axle and add enough pin weight to keep the nose down to reduce porpoising. Well within spec at that point, and a lot less risk of failure. At 22% (if the truck can support it) you add 1,065 lbs of capacity to each axle.

What will determine the final pin weight aside from a CAT scale is if the rig still tows level. If it's nose down or nose high it introduces additional issues and adjustments have to be made to compensate. If you can't make enough adjustments to tow level, keep the axle weights right, and keep bed clearance right, and stay within the capacities of the truck, you're in a pickle.

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
I have found it is the length of the tongue that dictates the ease of backing. The longer the tongue, the easier it is. A short tongue will get sideways on you right quick.
That's why a boat trailer is easier to back up for the most part. As a rule, the axles are further back under the trailer because of the motor.

Last edited:

Randy Grant

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
No... the physics aren't exactly the same. Do you think air flows around a boat equally as compared to a travel trailer or fifth wheel? Do you think the force of that air interacts exactly the same with both?

And I know why you won't post your door sticker. Funny that you'd even chime in knowing that you're likely over on every rating that your truck has.
Physics and fluid dynamic's (air flow) are two different things.