Fluid Change Intervals/Capacities

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I was reading about differential fluids, and realized that I need to change out quite a few oils on my truck.

I have 63,000 miles, and no idea when anything was done before I bought the truck. I changed the oil over the weekend, and oddly enough, the engine sounds noticeably quieter now. I've never experienced that before, but this is also my first diesel.

Pretty sure I'm going to order some red line oils later today for both axles, and the transfer case. Does the transfer case really only take 2 quarts? That really doesn't sound like much, especially since the axles call for around 3 and 4 quarts.

Other question is about automatic transmissions. I've always heard that you can't just drain and refill those like everything else, and you have to have a shop do a flush. Is that what needs to happen for the 60,000 mile "replace fluid and filter"? I could change the filter myself, and re-fill, but I'm not sure that's good enough. I don't want to compromise anything on the 68RFE either, as it is supposedly the weak link on my truck.

gypsy400

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
Hemi 5.7
Flushing an automatic is a bad idea.. the machine reverses the flow of the oil so all the dirt caught in the filter is pushed back out.

When you change the oil and filter you only change half the trans oil.. but the important thing is you change the filter.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

joshuaeb09

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Cummins
Flushing an automatic is a bad idea.. the machine reverses the flow of the oil so all the dirt caught in the filter is pushed back out.

When you change the oil and filter you only change half the trans oil.. but the important thing is you change the filter.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Flush machines are horrible, but fluid exchange machines are fine for traditional autos (Basically anything before the new ZF based multispeed units). Even most of the dealers around here have exchange machines that are fine for the transmissions that they are fine for. The best policy, IMO, is to drain and fill every 4-5 oil changes and then change filters on schedule.

On vehicles I had that didn't have a drain plug I would drop the pan, filter change, refill with cheapo fluid, then hit up the shop my old man used to own for a free fluid exchange with good fluid that I supplied, and finally top off a few days later if low. In hind sight I should've just replaced the pan on those, but at the time I was being cheap, got fluid/parts at cost, and got the use of the exchange machine for free or a few beers.

MADDOG

Out Exploring Arizona
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yeah, you don't want to flush the tranny but get the fluid changed by someone who has the fluid exchange machine. Replacing the filter is highly recommended.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I was reading about differential fluids, and realized that I need to change out quite a few oils on my truck.

I have 63,000 miles, and no idea when anything was done before I bought the truck. I changed the oil over the weekend, and oddly enough, the engine sounds noticeably quieter now. I've never experienced that before, but this is also my first diesel.

Pretty sure I'm going to order some red line oils later today for both axles, and the transfer case. Does the transfer case really only take 2 quarts? That really doesn't sound like much, especially since the axles call for around 3 and 4 quarts.

Other question is about automatic transmissions. I've always heard that you can't just drain and refill those like everything else, and you have to have a shop do a flush. Is that what needs to happen for the 60,000 mile "replace fluid and filter"? I could change the filter myself, and re-fill, but I'm not sure that's good enough. I don't want to compromise anything on the 68RFE either, as it is supposedly the weak link on my truck.

Your prime for all your fluids to be changed. Don’t do a flush on the transmission, just drop the pan to change out the filters and refill with fresh fluid. Keep track of how much comes out and put that Exact amount back in. Drive for a few days then do a transmission transfusion (video below), then repeat the transfusion a few times. For the diff’s I like to use a cheep hand pump with a small pice of hose, it’s so easy to just pump out the old gear oil and refill. Transfer case is a snap.

OP
OP
JMod45

JMod45

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7 Diesel
I changed fluid in both diffs this weekend with redline. I really like the re-usable differential gaskets. No scraping old stuff off, and worrying about getting new stuff inside. I just wiped them down, made sure all looked good, and re-bolted everything. No leaks as of 2 days later.

Also changed the transfer case fluid out with the golden mopar transfer case lubricant. That was surprisingly easy. Just wasn't a fan of paying $67 for two quarts of what is most likely ATF fluid. I was suprised how tiny the transfer case was. I swear the one in my old Jeep Cherokee was much bigger, but the vehicle was a whole lot smaller, and so was I 15 years ago.

I've got to put off the transmission fluid at least until next month. 60,000 miles is under the severe driving conditions, 120,000 for normal. I won't push it a whole lot longer, but don't mind waiting for a little while.

CCV filter says 67,500 miles (strange number) so I will likely look into that first.

HammerHead

USMC 0313
Reaction score
Ram Year
2019 4Runner
Engine
I changed fluid in both diffs this weekend with redline. I really like the re-usable differential gaskets. No scraping old stuff off, and worrying about getting new stuff inside. I just wiped them down, made sure all looked good, and re-bolted everything. No leaks as of 2 days later.

Also changed the transfer case fluid out with the golden mopar transfer case lubricant. That was surprisingly easy. Just wasn't a fan of paying $67 for two quarts of what is most likely ATF fluid. I was suprised how tiny the transfer case was. I swear the one in my old Jeep Cherokee was much bigger, but the vehicle was a whole lot smaller, and so was I 15 years ago.

I've got to put off the transmission fluid at least until next month. 60,000 miles is under the severe driving conditions, 120,000 for normal. I won't push it a whole lot longer, but don't mind waiting for a little while.

CCV filter says 67,500 miles (strange number) so I will likely look into that first.

Companies that rebuild and repair RFE transmissions say they are fluid sensitive. They recommend changing the fluid every 10k; that transfer pump video I posted is a super effective way to swap fluid without dropping the pan.

DwainGriffis

Reaction score
Ram Year
Engine
6.7L
Your prime for all your fluids to be changed. Don’t do a flush on the transmission, just drop the pan to change out the filters and refill with fresh fluid. Keep track of how much comes out and put that Exact amount back in. Drive for a few days then do a transmission transfusion (video below), then repeat the transfusion a few times. For the diff’s I like to use a cheep hand pump with a small pice of hose, it’s so easy to just pump out the old gear oil and refill. Transfer case is a snap.

Can you send me that video? It didn't show on the main page. Thanks! Who were you with while serving as an 03? I was an HM at 1st MARDIV

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
Can you send me that video? It didn't show on the main page. Thanks! Who were you with while serving as an 03? I was an HM at 1st MARDIV
These guys recommend a short interval for the rfe, but it is really self defense for many of the issues facing the rfe valve body such as cross leaks or losing piston pressure. Fix all of the valve body weaknesses it would be far less necessary to change oil early.

rfe sun coast recommendations

This is what is needed for valve body upgrades.

Burla

Military
Reaction score
Ram Year
2010 Hemi Reg Cab 4x4
Engine
Hemi
3 minute mark he suggests every 10k miles, later on like 16 minute mark or past you see why, burnt clutches. Ester based redline is rfe honey, don't put garbage fluid in the rfe. It is very compatible with oem fluid, because I did a pan drop and filter change, I only put 8 quarts back in. The rfe takes about 14 quarts, so that is 6 quarts old fluid and 8 quarts redline c+, that is the only safe what I can figure, flushes are dangerous and as you see the rfe is sensitive.